[Help] Xperia Ray : Data Usage window keeps popping up

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Just bought a new Xperia Ray (Sony) mobile phone. After three days, the message stating "Usage made 0.00 MB, you have ....mb left " keeps popping up everytime, infact every 10-15 seconds, and keeps repeating some number of times. It will go away and again come back after half an hour/1hr and repeat the same.

I have activated 3G pack (2gb/month) whose most of it are remaining. Im using Airtel (Mobile Office - airtelgprs.com) as my apn. I keep moving in and out of Wifi range. If the frequency of this window popping was less I would have assumed it to be normal as some background app might be using and leaving the data packets. My gps is currently disabled. This happens even if go to power saving mode.

ps: my signal strenght is also weaker than usual. not related though. And FYI, this is my 1st Android phone.

Enjoy~!

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
yes that was done. still pops up.

Enjoy~!

You will have to perform an experiment.

1. Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM from Custom Recovery
2. Open Titanium backup and uninstall Sim Toolkit or something similar named app.
3. Go to custom recovery again, and clear cache and dalvik cache.
4. Reboot your phone and check if this problem still exists.

P.S. if phone does not boot, or there is no network, then restore Nandroid backup...

All the best!

reddead

LoSt!
i too have it, its not android, its the service provider.....its the same popup which comes after every call or msg....i don't understand why its coming so frequently though....

try SP's calling customer care and ask to talk with a person from technical department....

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Just bought a new Xperia Ray (Sony) mobile phone.

congrats for getting Ray :razz:

I keep moving in and out of Wifi range.

so you use WiFi as well as mobile data? when you use WiFi, mobile data is turned off hence the total usage is reported. this can be the reason if i got what you have just said.

You will have to perform an experiment.

1. Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM from Custom Recovery
2. Open Titanium backup and uninstall Sim Toolkit or something similar named app.
3. Go to custom recovery again, and clear cache and dalvik cache.
4. Reboot your phone and check if this problem still exists.

P.S. if phone does not boot, or there is no network, then restore Nandroid backup...

All the best!

he is on stock Android for sure. this is not the best of ways to solve a problem.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. yes the mobile is new and i would avoid doing experiments at that level being a new android user.

and of course the message is from service provider (airtel in my case). it pops up whenever you finish a data usage from your cell. but problem is why is it coming up so frequently on its own.

for now the problem is solved after uninstalling few background apps and turning off data traffic. but this is a temporary solution as i have to manually turn on/off data traffic everytime.

the message says "usage made 0.00 mb....", in that case why the message had to appear when there is no usage. it comes when u properly use your data (just like after a call/sms). this even happens when im in wifi coverage (connected).

Enjoy~!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
speedyguy said:
the message says "usage made 0.00 mb....", in that case why the message had to appear when there is no usage.
Actually there is usage. A very miniscule one. Like an app just pinging its servers to make sure you are online. So less usage that it actually isnt shown.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
See if you can disable flash messages. It will probably come under the SIM settings.

Last edited:

ajay600

Broken In
after using the internet, i usually get the popup on disconnecting from the internet...
So I think it happens because ur internet is getting disconnected and reconnecting often..
this may a proplem with the network service in your area.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have a friend who is also fed up of the constant Data usage messages all over the day on his Neo V. In his case, it's Idea.

So far in a couple of months, he isn't able to find out the source of this frequent pop ups. These popups' also occur on my Airtel 2G, but are too rare to get bothered and only comes when 2G disconnects like when I make a call.

I am guessing it should be an app which is causing the frequent connection and disconnection of 2G network hence giving out pop up notifications.

If you can list out the stock apps which came with your XPeria Ray, I can compare it with the stock apps of his phone, and may just be able to find out the culprit app. It's a long shot, but worth trying.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
its most likely as simple as data usage with 3G. my wifi hangs up at times and is restored so data is disconnected and hence the message. one possibility.

Enjoy~!

Top Bottom