Help with New Year Gaming Rig

future

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the
computer? What all applications and
games are you going to run?
(Generic answers will not work. Be
exact and avoid the word 'et
cetera.') Ans: gaming , running virtual operating systems , HD movies , a little bit of photoshop .

2. What is your overall budget? If
you can extend a bit for a more
balanced configuration, then
mention this too. Ans: Rs. 43000 max

3. Planning to overclock? Ans: yes , not now but may be after few months when i will notice any lag .I just want to keep this option reserve for future.
4. Which Operating System are you
planning to use? Ans: win 7 , win 8 in coming months

5. How much hard drive space is
needed? Ans: I have a spare 500Gb hdd , so not gonna buy when the hdd prices are already at their peak

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If
yes, please mention which screen
size and resolution do you want. If
you already have a monitor and
want to reuse it, again mention the
size and resolution of monitor you have. Ans: i will need a new monitor , 1920x1080 full hd

7. Which components you DON'T
want to buy or which components
you already have and plan on
reusing? Ans: i wont be buying hdd hdd

8. When are you planning to buy the
system? Ans: 1st week of january

9. Have you ever built a desktop
before or will this be done by an
assembler? Ans: i have re-assembled my old p4 system few times but never built a complete new rig from scratch.

10. Where do you live? Are you
buying locally? Are you open to
buying stuff from online shops if you
don't get locally? Ans: j&k , i am open to boy online most of stuff .

11. Anything else which you would
like to say?
Ans: i have chosen an amd bulldozer config , i know intel is ahead of bulldozer in benchmarks but amd fx 8120 is 1k cheap than i5 2500k , and i will be using virtual os and playing games too.

Amd fx8120 - 12k
GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 - 9.5k

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think you have chosen the Bulldozer based config from one of my previous post in PC Buying segment. But if you're not going for multi GPU setup then you don't need that high end 990XA/990FXA based motherboard. You can get a good motherboard around 5.5K. Also you can go with Phenom II X6 1090T which has support for most of the used type of Virtualization, especially Vtd.

Here is my suggestion:-

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (3.2 GHz, 3 MB L2, 6 MB L3)@ 9.2K
Asus M5A88-M AM3+ @ 5.7K
Gskill RipjawX 1600 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.6K
BenQ G2220HD 21.5" 1080P Display @ 7K
Corsair GS600 80+ PSU @ 4K
Zotac GTX 560 Ti Amp 1GB GDDR5 @ 13.5K
Logitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo @ 0.7K
Intex 1KVA UPS @ 1.8K
Asus Black 24X SATA DVD Writer @ 1.1K

Total 44.6K. If you wanna reduce price further, then get the Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 @ 4.8K.

You may think that why I'm suggesting you a Phenom based CPU where FX series and equivalent Sandybridge CPUs are out there. The result is simple, 1090T offers tremendous value for money and full support for Virtualization. at a budget of 43K, the best you can get is i5 2400 and a Intel DH67 motherboard. It is also true that 2400 offers better gaming performance than 1090T at stock speed.

But in most of the multi-threaded apps 1090T is ahead of i5 2400 and in Virtualization the extra cores can be utilized. 2ndly as 1090T is a Black Edition processor, you can overclock it to 3.8 GHz even with the stock cooler. Add a cheap air cooler and it will heat 4.5 GHz with ease. I don't know you guys are aware or not, at 4 GHz+ speed, 1090T offers 90 to 95% performance of Intel Core i7 990X Extreme.
2ndly it will let you add a more feature rich motherboad and better graphics card at your budget which is very much necessary for a gaming PC.

OP
future

future

Broken In
Thanks for suggestions cilus , but one thing i forgot to mention that i am not buying gpu now , i will wait for launch of tahiti 7950hd , if its under 18k and hopefully performs well then i will go for it , else i will buy twin frozer 6950 2 gb .
Also as i have gone through few posts , it seems Asus A.S.S is bad , so any other alternative to it .
I have 40- 42k at hand excluding the gfx which i will buy by mar/apr , so no hurry to play games till then . So if i add amd fx8120 to the mobo mentioned , is the rig balanced ?
and will this mobo support tahiti cards ?

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
Yes buddy it will support the Tahiti cards . the board which u & cilius mention they have 2.0 PCI expansion slots so they will handle the Tahiti cards. Good luck for Ur future multimedia rig :cool:

Last edited:
OP
future

future

Broken In
What if add amd fx8120 to the same mobo asus mobo, i dont want to go with old phenom , i am happy to spend 3k extra for fx8120.
Also suggest a cabinet and cpu cooler for the rig, wat about omnipresent nzxt gamma and cw 212+evo ?

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
Yes buddy the asus mobo which is mention by cilius is AM3+ mobo it will handle amd fx8120 proccy .so if u do so u can save Ur money for cabby and CPU cooler.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Future, if your budget is 43K without the GPU then for gaming i5 2500K is the best solution. But again Intel's cleaver policy of not giving fully featured products to customer, 2500K has its Vtd mode of visualization disabled.

For AMD based config, just change the processor and motherboard with
FX 8120 @ 12K
Asus M5A88-M EVO @ 7.2K
CM 690II Plus @ 4.8K
Gskill RipjawX 1600 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.6K
BenQ G2220HD 21.5" 1080P Display @ 7K
Seasonic SS-750JS 750W 80+ Bronze PSU @ 5.4K
Logitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo @ 0.7K
Intex 1KVA UPS @ 1.8K
Asus Black 24X SATA DVD Writer @ 1.1K

Added a better 750W PSU by thinking of your future upgrades and little higher end motherboard with X16-X4 Crossfire support.

OP
future

future

Broken In
@cilus, the above mentioned rig crosses 52k ?

Plz suggest cabinet and cpu cooler which will be easily fitted in the cabinet ?

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
It crosses 52k because it includes gpu.remove it and it will be within your budget.it already includes CM 690 cabinet.for cooler buy cm hyper 212 evo @ 2.1k or thermalright silver arrow @ 4k if your budget permits.

Cilus

laborare est orare
future, use a little common sense buddy as Sukesh used. Didn't you understand that I forgot to remove the GPU as per your requirement? However, I have edited the post by removing the GPU.

SUman, AMD 970G chipset does not have any IGP and needs a discrete Gfx card. As OP is planning to add the Gfx card later, 970 based mobo is not possible.

OP
future

future

Broken In
Thanks for clarifying guys, i have finalised the above rig costing about 44k , hoping that asus mobo might not create any trouble as their A.S.S is bad in india.
and will i have to update asus bios for fx8120 ?
P.S . typing from phone is really pain in the ***

Piyush

Lanaya
Thanks for clarifying guys, i have finalised the above rig costing about 44k , hoping that asus mobo might not create any trouble as their A.S.S is bad in india.
and will i have to update asus bios for fx8120 ?
P.S . typing from phone is really pain in the ***

ASUS mobos arent bad at all
the guys responsible to handle the queries and problems regarding ASUS products are dumb and lazy
thats all

sukesh1090

Adam young
@future,
go with asus no problem.about the bios upgrade,buddy how can we know everything about every mobo?there are hell lot of mobos from hell lot of companies in the market.just buy the mobo and check the asus website and upgrade the bios.thats it.does it need you to call any press meet?common buddy.

OP
future

future

Broken In
@sukesh, i know its not possible to know everything about all mobos out there but its better to ask than to repent later .
Is asus m5a97 + cheap 2.5 k gpu ,good option ?i will be buying a good gpu in 3-4 months
thanks

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
There is nothing like 2.5K GPU, mention the model number. If you want to watch HD movies then the on-board HD 4250 GPU is good enough. At 2.5K, you can get a GT 520 1GB DDR3 version, which is just slightly faster than the IGP.

OP
future

future

Broken In
Ok cilus , i think its better to stick with m588 m- evo mobo , and can you suggest a cheap cabinet as i dont want to spend more on case . I will use that money on speakers(2.5k buget).
nzxt gamma ok ?

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
Cilus has suggested m5a88 not m5a97.m5a88 is a 880g chipset mobo and has a hd 4250 igp.

why you are suggesting those gpus which will be slightly better than the igp.so it is waste of money .

Top Bottom