Help with mobo + 6300fx on windows 8.1

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Hello there! Long time since I came here. Guys I need some advice.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Home Theatre PC, connected to Denon AVR, HDMI output a must - 60 %
Photoshop - 35%
MS Office, web surfing - 5 %
Gaming - Nil

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 8k, Stretchable to about 10k

. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have what I need (4 TB over three disks)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Nope, Connected to Sony, 40"

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Mobo and Graphix card

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: 99% from online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Yes.

I
got ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 + AMD 6300 FX Black Edition proccy to replace my earlier mobo+cpu combo.
ASUS mobo was purchased based on unanimous good reviews and recommendations. But it was clearly not the right choice for Win 8. Not at least for my use. The board does not pass Dolby, DTS or 5.1 over HDMI. I thought that may be 8.1 upgrade would do the trick. That was even worse, as 8.1 requires WDDM 1.3, while the onboard graphix Radeon 3000 can support max WDDM 1.1.

My Options:-
Option 1 - Add a graphix card capable of WDDM 1.3 into this mobo. But I wonder if the audio would get transported over HDMI through this card? In any case my budget for graphix card alone would be under 5k.

Option 2 - Change the mobo, preferably with an IGP with HDMI out. But I guess it would be hard to find AMD IGP with WDDM 1.3. So, I will have to add a card anyways. In this case I dont want to go beyond 8-10k.

What do you suggest? I am open to other suggestions so long as they dont cross 10k.

Thanks guys..

OP
cpyder

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Thanks rijinpk1,

But is hd 7790 really ok? I mean, I read somewhere on thinkdigit forum itself, that high load graphix may shorten life of low end mobo. Also why would you suggest this one instead of cheaper alternatives in say 3-5k range considering my utilisation? I am not going to play any PC games. It is only Photoshop where some processing power is needed.

Plus, where can I get 7790 @ 9.8?, flipkart/ itdepot are 11+

OP
cpyder

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Thanks, What do you think about this one Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card - Sapphire: Flipkart.com ?

The ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 board has 760G chipset and VIA VT1708S Audio. Can anyone educate me that if I combine it with hd6670, it will give me 5.1 over hdmi or not. And the question of the whole setup being compatible with Windows 8.1?

If it does not, my investment into graphix card will go bad. Anyone?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it should work but if you are unlucky then you may have to configure a lot of things:
*forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid=945726#pid945726

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
then i suggest to get the new hd 7750 because of the gcn architecture and very good openCL performance

OP
cpyder

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Hmm, I just checked up specs for hd 7750, turns out it requires 450W power supply, I have Cooler master- i tttthink 400W, coz it says total load should not exceed 431W.

Plus I would like to keep some budgetry cushion with me, just in case the graphix card solution does not work out for 5.1 over HDMI and I have to buy another mobo.

But how much difference is it going to make between 6650 and 7750? As far as Photoshop CS6 is concerned. I am not playing any PC games. Any thoughts?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Hmm, I just checked up specs for hd 7750, turns out it requires 450W power supply, I have Cooler master- i tttthink 400W, coz it says total load should not exceed 431W.

Plus I would like to keep some budgetry cushion with me, just in case the graphix card solution does not work out for 5.1 over HDMI and I have to buy another mobo.

But how much difference is it going to make between 6650 and 7750? As far as Photoshop CS6 is concerned. I am not playing any PC games. Any thoughts?

a 400w psu is very much enough for 7750? but which psu do you have? exact model no. ?
6670 works on older VLIW architecture whereas 7750 works on new gcn architecture with a very good open cl performance which can be greatly benefited from photoshop,i think.

OP
cpyder

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
OK, I stand corrected. The model seems to be RS500 PCAR A3 - Which is a 500W PSU. Long time.. he he..

So power supply no probs.. I guess.

Cilus

laborare est orare
It is Cooler Master Extreme Series 500W PSU. Although they are not recommended for little higher end cards, I think it is okay for HD 7750 due to the very low power consumption of the card.

OP
cpyder

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Thanks guys, for pointing me the right directions.

a 400w psu is very much enough for 7750? but which psu do you have? exact model no. ?
6670 works on older VLIW architecture whereas 7750 works on new gcn architecture with a very good open cl performance which can be greatly benefited from photoshop,i think.

So based on your inputs here, I googled a bit and I think you are right. The net seems to be crazy for 7750 + PS CS6. Adobe Photoshop CS6 GPU Acceleration - Puget Custom Computers and Adobe Community: Max graphics card (PC) performance for PS-CS6?

Going from the discussions, I guess, its better to go for 1GB DDR5 rather than 2GBDDR3, right?

It is Cooler Master Extreme Series 500W PSU. Although they are not recommended for little higher end cards, I think it is okay for HD 7750 due to the very low power consumption of the card.
Yeah, should'nt be much problem I reckon. My bigger worry is about the mobo going kaput. All my previous comps, four of them, over last 8 years had their mobos dying. And ofcourse, compatibility with Win 8.1.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys, for pointing me the right directions.

So based on your inputs here, I googled a bit and I think you are right. The net seems to be crazy for 7750 + PS CS6. Adobe Photoshop CS6 GPU Acceleration - Puget Custom Computers and Adobe Community: Max graphics card (PC) performance for PS-CS6?

Going from the discussions, I guess, its better to go for 1GB DDR5 rather than 2GBDDR3, right?

Yeah, should'nt be much problem I reckon. My bigger worry is about the mobo going kaput. All my previous comps, four of them, over last 8 years had their mobos dying. And ofcourse, compatibility with Win 8.1.

ddr5 is much faster than ddr3. dont get confused with the 2gb gimmic for lower end cards

Top Bottom