Help!! Windows starts only in safe mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi.eternal

In search of light...
my friend's laptop is not booting into windows normally, instead it is booting into safe mode automatically. even if i select start windows normally or last known good configuration, it still boots into safe mode only. i have tried system restore, clean boot but the problem is still there. now, if i select safe mode it works normally and goes into safe mode. i am typing this in the same laptop by booting into safe mode with networking as i don't have my computer with me at present. as you know, in safe mode you are almost screwed as you even can't play music (os is vista home premium). i would like to add that if i select normal boot, i can see the windows boot screen (gui) but the login screen after that shows the safe mode login screen. but if the select safe mode, i get a non-gui boot screen (the way it should be). i guess is that logonui.exe file is screwed, not sure though. i know that os repair is an option but i don't have the vista disc with me at present. i, however, have another laptop now from where i can copy the logonui.exe file but i am not sure how to replace this without making the laptop crash as it is a protected system file. or am i totally wrong and is the problem elsewhere? heck, i can't even run a virus scan in safe mode as kaspersky cannot be run!

ps. i contacted microsoft also regarding this but the tech was clueless and kept on pressing me for an os repair, even after telling him for a thousand times that i don't have the discs! he however, told me to run a system file check (sfc /scannow) which resulted in the following info:

Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS log in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

i have tried to access the log file but it is not opening at all. notepad kinda hangs.

please help as there is a lot of data in this laptop which my friend (and me too) doesn't want to loose.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I think you need to take a Live CD of say Knoppix, and mount the Windows partition and replace the corrupted files.
If you don't have the clean copy of that file, I think you may ask someone in the forums to upload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom