[HELP] Windows Partition Corrupted

Aditya11

Journeyman
Last night, I was playing Fallout: New Vegas on Win 7 32-bit with the latest nVidia drivers. There are numerous reports of the game’s bugginess, but I encountered only two CTDs...until…it crashed one more time and somehow managed to corrupt taskmanager.exe and then whole windows partition! PC restarted and after the OS selection screen, Windows kept on checking and correcting the corrupted sectors. Since then its going in this loop of restarting, then either chkdsk routine or BDoS screen and again restart. I can’t access this partition in WinXP and was unable to mount the partition even in Linux (Mint). Can anyone please suggest me what should I do next? Can I retrieve my data at all? or all hope is forever lost? :tears:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
By saying windows partition do u mean tho whole disk allocated for DOS partition or the particular drive where windows is installed?

IF particular drive, then u may not be able to extract data from other OSes as data in MyDocs etc would be encrypted by Win7.

If partition, then say good by and do a low-level format and try again. But I'm very doubtful that a normal system crash would crash a whole HDD...
It might be only d particular drive, in that case just re-install OS or try to repair.

OP
Aditya11

Aditya11

Journeyman
It corrupted the Windows drive (D: in this case). Not the whole HDD, thankfully..
I used Repair Computer option from Win 7 bootable DVD, but it was unable to repair the boot sector. I guess I will try couple of data recovery software and see if I can salvage AT LEAST data in My Docs.

Top Bottom