HELP!!! SYSTEM HANGS TOO MUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsnayvid

Journeyman
I have this new problem:

My system hangs suddenly without any warning when running any software which I was using for more than last 3 months.
This problem began when I installed Photoshop CS trial, but even after uninstalling it the problem persists. The system hangs unexpectedly, even if I'm listening to a song in WMP. What could be the cause?
I run a dual boot system (Win 98/XP), this problem occurs in both the OS.

Now there is also a new problem, I recently purchased a rewritable media (never used one before), copied some stuff and then formatted it in XP (using inbuilt feature), since then ROXIO doesn't detect blank discs, neither does XP. While the writer (LITEON combo) and the same RW media works fine in 98 with NERO. It says that my drive is not supported by ROXIO, where as I have burned over 50 CDs using ROXIO. Any one knows what can be done?

tuxfan

Technomancer
Try changing the hardware acceleration settings.

In Win98, right click on My Computer, go to properties > Performance > graphics and put it to none. This will take away some smoothness in scrolling and machine may appear a little slow. But if machine stops hanging, then next time put that mark to the next higher level and see. Keep trying it till your machine is stable enough.

Find out the same settings in WinXP. I don't know where it is because I've never used WinXP.

Kannan

In the zone
As far as I know P-III don't have Thermal problems as far as the Heat Sink is in Proper Position. Still U need to post your CPU temperature.

Since the problem occurs in both OS, I think the problem is at Hardware level.

Better check if the CPU Cabinet doest has dusts and the contact points of the peripherals are clean.

You writer problem, can u explain more clearly ?

S

sunnydiv

hey div, i had same problem,

i just added 2 fans, one near pci slots, one near hdd, works fine now

try it, setup costs like 60 rupee tot

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
Well have reformated the pc last night.

It is much better now, but still hangs. (freq. has decreased.)

@sunnydiv: My pc is running at 30 C. It is not high for a PIII.

By the way I opened the cabinet and tried to cool it with a table fan. Reduced the temp to 26 C but still the system hanged!!

Sourabh

Laptoping
i had similar probs with my p3 3-4 yrs back and the temps were like fires in hell

tried everything in vain and had to install a p2 366 mhz processor for the time being to keep the system alive

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
check if ur system hangs in BIOS....enter BIOS nd let the PC run for a while...

try reseating RAM chips...ru using a single chip or two modules ??

if everything fails..remove all extra peripheral devices..remove printer cable,remove modem if any,remove LAN card,rmeove speakers etc..just keep 4 wires connected to CPU...power,monitor,mouse,keyboard,restart the PC in safe mode,nd see if it hangs...
if it doesnt hang this time around,try installing back devices one by one...with plenty of testing in between...

iinfi

mekalodu
it may b bcoz your RAM or some other h/w is not connected properly .... check all your connections both inside and outside the cabinet ....

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
Well I tried removing one device at a time and running the system.

Removed RAM 1
Still HANGS!!

Removed RAM 2
Still HANGS!!

Removed DVDROM
Still HANGS!!

Removed COMBO DRIVE
Still HANGS!!

Removed Printer
Still HANGS!!

Removed FDD
Still HANGS!!