[Help] Sony refusing to repair water damaged phone

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Yesterday I visited the Sony service center
Name: Teknoplaza
Address:CD-96, Salt Lake City
Kolkata, West Bengal
Contact Number:23599787
to repair my xperia arc. The earpiece is not working but if I route the audio through loudspeaker, it is working fine.

The lady at the service center took my handset and removed the back cover. Then she said, sir, this set is water damaged and we are not accepting any water damaged set.
I was shocked. AFAIK, water damage would void my warranty, which I dont have anyway. I tried to argue but it was of no help.
They refused to accept the set.

So, I called up Xperia support at 1800 3000 2800 and asked for a clarification. They called me back and informed that you can go to the same service center and submit the set, it should be accepted.
However, you may have to pay upto 80% of the phone's price to repair.

The set was water logged some 6 months back and was working fine. Now Sony people are saying that I have to pay maybe around 20k to repair a dead earpiece.
My question is, can I ask them why they are charging 20k / what is to be repaired and if I dont want to repair anything except the speaker, what will be the problem?

Do you guys have any better idea how to counter them?

Huzefa

Journeyman
Its old and out of warranty, forget the service centers, look for a local service person who specializes in rooting phones, they have enough know how though not about hardware but can direct you to a person who does.

OP
arsenalfan001

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Yup, I have that option to go to a local store and repair. Just scared that they might mess with the phone.
Will visit the service center tomorrow once, lets see what they have to say.

randomuser111

Technomancer
If I'm not wrong, no brand provides service for water damaged phones. Be it Sony or Samsung or HTC. A friend of mine with a Samsung phone was also sent back from service center as it was water damaged

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Yesterday I visited the Sony service center
Name: Teknoplaza
Address:CD-96, Salt Lake City
Kolkata, West Bengal
Contact Number:23599787
to repair my xperia arc. The earpiece is not working but if I route the audio through loudspeaker, it is working fine.

The lady at the service center took my handset and removed the back cover. Then she said, sir, this set is water damaged and we are not accepting any water damaged set.
I was shocked. AFAIK, water damage would void my warranty, which I dont have anyway. I tried to argue but it was of no help.
They refused to accept the set.

So, I called up Xperia support at 1800 3000 2800 and asked for a clarification. They called me back and informed that you can go to the same service center and submit the set, it should be accepted.
However, you may have to pay upto 80% of the phone's price to repair.

The set was water logged some 6 months back and was working fine. Now Sony people are saying that I have to pay maybe around 20k to repair a dead earpiece.
My question is, can I ask them why they are charging 20k / what is to be repaired and if I dont want to repair anything except the speaker, what will be the problem?

Do you guys have any better idea how to counter them?

there is no way you can counter, and even if they accept you will have to pay a lot of money for nothing. Instead, if you are sure that only the earpiece is dead then get a screw kit which can open your phone, and the earpiece can be removed... so remove the defective one source a new piece and voila :D

have a look here :

Main: Xperia Arc Disassembly Guide

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfGOCGeMiWc

Barpanda

Broken In
Unfortunately most will not accept water damaged devices for replacement. NoasArcAngel is correct, your best bet is to fix the device yourself... otherwise you'll need to just purchase a new device :(

Top Bottom