Help: Sharing internet over vista from xp

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hello,
I m using a dsl broadband (pppoe) connection on my desktop (xp sp3) which is connected to my modem via usb for broadband. the lan (ethernet) nic from my desktop is connected to my notebook (vista home premium).

now i can ping both systems via wired lan and also share data both ways. the connection is properly done but my ics doesnt work.

i have shared internet connection from xp system's internet conn properties. have given static ip (192.168.0.1) to desktop and ip 192.168.0.2 to my notebook. default ip i have given same as xp's ip.

in my notebook the network map shows connectivity with the internet, even the taskbar connection logo has an earth like round structure (denotes internet connectivity in vista) but m not able to browse.

i have tried playing with ip's (changing, auto, removing default ip etc), firewall etc but to no use. everything looks fine everywhere accept that notebook doesnt browse internet.
any advice.

ps: i can also share my internet over lan and usb direct from my modem but is that possible. my modem has one usb and one ethernet port out but my broadband uses PPPoE so it has to dial a connection so how can it be done in both machines at a time.

Thanks.

Enjoy~!

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
If I were in your position I would have used a router which has 4 ports for connecting 3 different PCs (4th one goes into the modem).
In this case I think making your PC with XP a proxy server would do. How about trying Windows Internet Sharing wizard?

How to Share a PPPoE Internet Connection with Windows XP

Have you tried this tutorial by Microsoft?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Well if you "dial a connection", then for Windows you need to enable Internet Connection Sharing for the PC which "dials". For this to work also you need to have PC which dials to be always on. Else you need to "dial" with second node.
However if you configure your router to auto-dial and enable DHCP/set static IP then you can use any number of PCs(as much as the switches allow) to connect to the internet.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
@gagan007: yes i went through that tutorial earlier but it says about ics via 2 nics which i have already done. m connected with my modem via usb and lan via ethernet cable. infact my notebook (vista) detects the internet connectivity on sharing my PPPoE connection but still m not able to browse in that.

@Liverpool_fan : i dint get ur last line. can u please elaborate how. and yes i dial a connection. so when m connected to internet i can see two network connections. one which modem connects another connects to internet. lan connection can be seen seperately. in my modem i have a usb port and a ethernet port to connect to systems.

Enjoy~!

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
guys thanx for ur replies...i dunt know exactly how but my problem is now solved.

i guess the issue was to assign ip to my notebook (client) dynamically and a static ip to my desktop where ics is enabled. now i can browse from both the systems.
thanx again.

Enjoy~!

Top Bottom