Help on free BSD installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
praka123 said:
^freebsd is not supported in virtual machines afaik :?

WTH..!:mad: I was shocked when u said that and i went to official website to check that out..Even Vmware workstation 5.0 supports FreeBSD as Guest OS.

The latest version is 6.0 (Build 45731)
*www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/intro_supguest_ws.html

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
why wouldn't it . i'm gonna try that though .

Heck , even Mac OS X worked in VMware then FreeBSD should be a breeze .

Ya..I have tried Mac OS X and It did install fine..Dunno abt Free BSD coz i dont have a copy of it :(

@praka123
When u said FreeBSD doesnt work on Vmware,I was suprised:eek: for a while on my level of knowledge of Virtualization

rocket357

Security freak
Just last night I was messing with VirtualBox, and according to their website OpenBSD should load fine. Surprise, surprise, OpenBSD bombed on VirtualBox during hard drive setup.

My experience has been similar with FreeBSD in Virtualization. I didn't bother checking FreeBSD in VirtualBox because the site specifically states that FreeBSD 6.2 has known issues and doesn't really work, but I've yet to get FreeBSD/OpenBSD working in virtualization (haven't tried a static sized image for OpenBSD in VirtualBox, though...I'll try that tonight after work).

I've tried Bochs, Qemu, and VMWare for virtualization (and VirtualBox now as of last night), and I've had them all fail (Qemu is really fast and relatively stable) at one point or another.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Some interesting Read over HERE

Notes on FreeBSD as a Guest Operating System
Various flavors of FreeBSD have been tested with the current VMware Workstation distribution. The latest 2.x and 3.x distributions -- specifically 2.2.8 and 3.1 -- of FreeBSD are fully functional. Floppy, CD-ROM, and network devices autoconfigure and work. There is at least one known problem with 2.2.7. If you are thinking of dual-booting a machine with FreeBSD 2.2.7 and accessing the raw partition from within VMware Workstation, you are advised to upgrade to at least FreeBSD 2.2.8.

One caveat with all versions of FreeBSD is that there is a problem probing for the CD-ROM device wdc1. FreeBSD sends an illegal ATAPI command to the IDE controller and ignores the error status reply. This results in approximately a one-minute delay each time the system boots.
VMware has not tested sound support in FreeBSD.

The Linux emulation support in FreeBSD 3.1 is insufficient to run the X server provided by VMware for use on Linux systems running in a virtual machine. The VGA server distributed with FreeBSD works as expected.
The generic FreeBSD kernel works fine. Users who want to configure a kernel specifically for use in a virtual machine can use a configuration file like the one below. Note that this file was created for FreeBSD 3.1.
#
# VMWARE -- VMware Workstation virtual machine
#
# For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
# Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
# The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
# latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
# <URL:*www.FreeBSD.ORG/ >
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#

machine "i386"
cpu "I686_CPU"
ident VMWARE
maxusers 32

options INET #InterNETworking
options FFS #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options FFS_ROOT #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options MFS #Memory Filesystem
options MFS_ROOT #MFS usable as root device, "MFS" req'ed
options NFS #Network Filesystem
options NFS_ROOT #NFS usable as root device, "NFS" req'ed
options MSDOSFS #MSDOS Filesystem
options "CD9660" #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options "CD9660_ROOT" #CD-ROM usable as root. "CD9660"req'ed
options PROCFS #Process filesystem
options "COMPAT_43" #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options UCONSOLE #Allow users to grab the console
options FAILSAFE #Be conservative
options USERCONFIG #boot -c editor
options VISUAL_USERCONFIG #visual boot -c editor

config kernel root on wd0

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# O

SOURCE

rocket357

Security freak
rakeshishere said:
Some interesting Read over HERE

Notes on FreeBSD as a Guest Operating System

SOURCE
Hrmmm... FreeBSD 3.1? That's fine, I guess, but I wouldn't ask any of these other guys to run Windows 95 on their emulator if they really wanted to run Vista, you know?

Thanks for the info, though, rakeshishere.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
rakeshishere said:
@infra_red_dude

Wasnt the author talkin about XP? Why did ya talk about Vista and why did i ask an excuse for no reason..:rolleyes:..See the above post,he doesnt mention about Vista?
yeah rakesh.. but praka mentioned abt the limitation of 4 primary partitions in x86 systems in general and u said windows can create only 1 primary partition. so i jus mentioned that vista is capable, thats it :)

regarding freebsd running in virtualisation.... even i've tried it. lotsa issues. it was almost an year back. was hoping that things wud've changed... but there i see things are no different today!

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
infra_red_dude said:
yeah rakesh.. but praka mentioned abt the limitation of 4 primary partitions in x86 systems in general and u said windows can create only 1 primary partition. so i jus mentioned that vista is capable, thats it :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=553214&postcount=14

infra_red_dude said:
regarding freebsd running in virtualisation.... even i've tried it. lotsa issues. it was almost an year back. was hoping that things wud've changed... but there i see things are no different today!

I'll wait for the reply of people who test it on Vmware and personally,I dnt have time to test it myself:(
S/w,web keep updating each and every day and you are talkin about stuff which goes way back to 1 yr:???:

rocket357

Security freak
rakeshishere said:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=553214&postcount=14

I'll wait for the reply of people who test it on Vmware and personally,I dnt have time to test it myself:(
S/w,web keep updating each and every day and you are talkin about stuff which goes way back to 1 yr:???:

A good friend of mine and I discussed FreeBSD in virtualization today. He mentioned having gotten FreeBSD working well, but mentioned that he had to modify some of the boot parameters and hard drive stuff...he was a bit vague about it, but if I can get it working I'll post here on what I did.

OP
C

cranky

Broken In
U guys might be able to help me with this as well:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=556148#post556148 :D

Vivek788

In the zone
oh boy..if I knew FreeBSD had so many issues....I would have downloaded a month ago itself..lemme play with it... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom