Help on creating and designing a FORUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charley

Just Do It
I'd like to setup a FORUM with 3 main rooms in it like Music, Technology, etc. They should have differents[preferable]/same skins for each main room. Then these main rooms will have subcategories for each room and I mean a lot of sub rooms. Then I need to install a CHAT option for the FORUM which shud be common to all the main rooms. Also I require the age verification. Then after a person logs in the name of the country with the respective flags. Also ranks should be given differently for each main room and mods to be installed. I will be getting traffic , so their banners and advsts should be installed.

I'd prefer free hosts rather than paid hosts as I want to try it first and then later create another one. Also if there are any .com or .net or so on make a mention

Please guide me on how should I proceed as I'm a novice and havnt done this before. I'd appreciate ppl who have their own sites to help me .

tuxfan

Technomancer
There a few sites that can let you create free forums like *www.proboards.com Search at the forum and you will surely find some more links.

If you want to use your own .com/.net what you can do is make a forum at any of these free sites, then register a domain and forward it to this site. Publicise your own domain so that later when you want to shift to something paid, your visitors will start coming to your new site automatically.

OP
Charley

Charley

Just Do It
tuxfan said:
If you want to use your own .com/.net what you can do is make a forum at any of these free sites, then register a domain and forward it to this site.

Which r the free sites?

I'm checking the site which u have listed too. It is nice and I have to study a lot to create one.

tuxfan

Technomancer
What I meant was that you can register at proboards first. Then register a domain name like yoursite.com. Then you can make your domain forwards to your site at proboards.

There are some sites which let you make a free forum. But then you don't earn anything out of it. So you neither pay nor receive anything. Its free both ways!

Search at this forum to know which sites provide you free forum. Almost all of them run on phpBB.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Domains have a pretty much standard costs now-a-days. If you go for a .com, you will not find anything cheaper than $7 to $9. All resellers who register domains for clients take a little extra on these amounts for the time and money spent on these registrations. Additionally, we risk our credit cards for online transactions. Clients are safe. So a little compensation for that too :p

As for hosting, there is so much variety and available that its practically very difficult to compare one with the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom