help needed urgently,messed my pc during sabayon install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanks_098

world is evil
guys a downloaded sabayon n today i made its live cd.my xams r v near so i thot live cd wud b a gud idea as i din want to install an os a get into all d blues.also i nvr previously installed linux so i had absolutely no plans of installing it.

wen i booted from d cd i was awed by the sheer brilliance of sabayon,n cud not resist myslef installing it.i startd bt got stuck soon.new partition was creatd wth EXT2 file system n aftr a lot of hard work n resizing d partitions oi suceeded.

sabayon was installed n i thot i had 3 os namely
xp sp2
vista ultimate
sabayon

bt wen i tried to access d pre-existing (ntfs)partitions i cudnt do it.
it said "rebbot ur pc,problem mite b arising coz windows was not shut down properly"
i rebooted it n my xp was gone,i cudnt boot from xp.i booted frm vista n was able to boot.nw as my final xams r 1 week away i want my xp back coz ill hv hard time wrkng on vista as i hv only 1B ram n for sabayon i hv no xpirience n i don wana experiment ne further.
so i tried to repair my xp installtion.i insertd xp cd,booted from it bt it got stuck aftr "checkng ur hardware".this i tried thrice n waitd for almost 25 mins 4 sumthng to happen.i tried another bootable cd bt dint help.

nw i insertd cd aftr loggng in vista n pressed autoplay,setup bt on d main scrren of setup, d choice"install xp"is not clickable(in both d cd's)

nw wat do i do.
i seek immediate help as i wan xp asap.

plz plz help guys.
im waitng
if ne 1 wana hlp n can gv his yahoo id?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
great to see you improve.
OK give me the output of
Code:
su
fdisk -l
How many partitions you have for vista and how many for XP? XP partition was fat32 or ntfs?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i wonder whether u partitioned ur c drive ... chk if xp files are still thr if yes then may b ur boot loader has some problem

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
@mehulved.....well, i m the smarta$$ who asked mayank to post his query in open source in the first place. just thot i'll let u know.

i cudn't help him myself since am not much into this.

mehulved

The right way is to report the post and ask it to be moved in the right section. Mods will take care of the rest.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
mehulved said:
great to see you improve.
OK give me the output of
Code:
su
fdisk -l
How many partitions you have for vista and how many for XP? XP partition was fat32 or ntfs?

i had 1 4 xp n vista each

both were ntfs

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
@mehulved....i am aware of that, but wasnt at that time.am human too. anyways lets leave it at that.

looks like the xams are taking a toll ur patience :)

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
mehulved said:
The right way is to report the post and ask it to be moved in the right section. Mods will take care of the rest.

sry man,used some hard words.i just lost cool.uc i hv my xams in 7 dez n my pc is messed up.i hv to study evrythng frm px only

@ mehul
dude,u agn lockd my post"mehul,can i hear u"
may i know y?

Last edited:

mehulved

Still you haven't given the output of fdisk -l, it will help determine what partitions are there still.
And yeah along with it post the contents of the file grub.conf
Open it with command
Code:
kate /boot/grub/grub.conf
Just in case grub.conf is not there, check for menu.lst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom