Help Needed in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmads

Journeyman
Hi all..

I use Windows XP on my Laptop. Since beginning I've faced problem in shutting down. While shutting down it stays on the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen endlessly and eventually I have to press the Power button to shut it. I would appreciate your help or comments on what is wrong and what needs to be done.

Thanks

Sykora

I see right through you.
That's not very descriptive, harmads :) . Anyway I'll see what I can do. I read once that one of the reasons Windows may take a long time to shutdown is because it's deleting the pagefile. The solution to this is a registry hack.

Trying doing what tip#2 on this page says, possibly using digit's fastrack to registry editing for help : *reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-5554402-1.html

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i faced this problem in 98 .... change the copy of the OS u r using (another copy of XP) .... that solved the problem for me ... possible in ur case also....

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Which Anti virus you use, is it Avast.

My cousin had same kind of probs. with his HP Compaq laptop. that AV slowed down his LapTop.

If you use Avast then experiment by Shutting down the Avast first & then ur PC. If your PC finally shuts down, then Avast is your problem maker , Un-install that Anti Virus & go for AVG or NOD32....

& do a regular check-up of Fragmentation of files.(Defragmenter).

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Paste these lines in notepad:

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"AutoEndTasks"="1"
"HungAppTimeout"="1000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"
"LowLevelHooksTimeout"="1000"
Save the file with any name but extension should be .REG, now run the file. It'll ask for confirmation, select YES and then OK. It should help U. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom