help needed in checkdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
hey,
some files of my c:\ drive has been corrupted.(fidbox.dat)
and on every restarts it asks for check disk but it stops at step 2(verifying indexes) at zero percent.. :cry:
and if a pen drive is inserted in the usb port then my keyboard doesn't work so, i cant even cancel the disk check without removing the pen drive.
and when i try to check disk using chkdsk command it doesn't work it says
"error found . check disk cannot continue in read only mode" and also never goes above zero percent in stage 2....
help me .
i have windows xp with sp3

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
a> Why do u keep USB drives plugged in and reboot? If its having problem, remove and reboot. I don't think its an issue.

b>What is the size of ur C drive? chkdsk may take time depending on the size of teh drive and contents of it.
Again, stage 2 generally takes time. Keep it as it is as long as it wants to take. Its better u run chckdsk once full.

c>chckdsk can't operate on C (supposing its where ur OS is) as it needs to unmount any held files which is not possible while booted in OS.
But, it would work perfectly on other drives u have. Try that. U don't (may not) need to reboot to run chckdsk in those drives.

techie_85

Broken In
It happened to me once, mine got stuck at scanning files,
one day I decided to keep it going, after 10 minutes are so, it started to scan, the entire scan took around 40+ minutes.
Try doing that.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
U can wait for da chkdsk 2 complete. Ur hdd may develope some fault check with other disk utily for bad sector. Chkdsk will hang if bad sectors is detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom