Help needed for building a budget rig.

mojojojo

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Raw image editing, playing Civilization 5, GTA5, programming on heavy IDEs like Jdeveloper, watching movies.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 25k. Can add a couple of Ks for a balanced rig.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not really.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7/8, Ubuntu.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500Gb upwards

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, I have a 1366*768 monitor and would use it for the time-being. May upgrade it after some time.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Will resue Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers for the time being. Dont need an UPS in Mumbai.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week,
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Yes, I can asssemble a rig.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Mumbai, on the Lamington Road and will buy from there.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Thanks! :)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Pentium G645 - Rs 3300
Gigabyte B75 - Rs 4300
Corsair valueselect 4 GB DDR3 - Rs 1150
Case - CM Elite 310 -Rs 1900
PSU - Corsair CX430v2 Rs 2650
Optical Drive - ASUS Drive (on my siggy) Rs 1k
HDD - WD caviar blue 3.5k
that should leave a 7 k for GPU.. you can add a little bit more and get a HD 7770 (7.9k on SMC)

if you have trouble saving money, get a H61 mobo, for 2.9k instead of B75 (4.3K)
its your call really.. if you dont need to buy USB 3.0 drives in the future, an H61 will do fine

Nerevarine

Incarnate
hmm no it will not, but if you want to go for something better, you will have to extend your budget..
Try to get a A10-5800k and a FM2 based mobo, based on your requirement :D
or a i3 3220 + H61 mobo
This should suffice for all your needs (especially the part about Heavy IDEs)

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
A10-5800k - Rs 8400
F2A85-M-LE - Rs. 5700
Corsair valueselect 4 GB DDR3 - Rs 1150
Case - CM Elite 310 -Rs 1900
PSU - Corsair CX430v2 Rs 2650
Optical Drive - ASUS Drive (on my siggy) Rs 1k
HDD - WD caviar blue 3.5k
Total - 24.3

Comes to a little less than 25k. Will this configuration be good enough for my needs? Probably, I can go for an 8Gb RAM module instead of 4?

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Will I be able to play the games I mentioned on mid-level settings with this setup?
On hd, yup on fhd nope. Go for g645, think about it as fast as a laptop i3. If you dont need an ssd which I think not with that type of budget, use a h61 mobo aand hd7770 will fit easily in your budget which will be far better than amd solution and will play gta 4 at fhd with ease ;)
Hope I helped!!

cpu: i3 3220 (6100)
motherboard: B75MA-E33 (4200)
cabinet: any iball/zebronics (1000)
psu: Corsair cx430v2 (2700)
ram: Corsair value select 4 GB (1400)
hdd: WD 500 GB (3500)
KB mouse combo: Logitech k200 (750)
optical drive: lg (1000)
gpu: HD7770 (7900)

Total: 28550

I hope you can add 4k to your 25k budget

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Yes I can add 4ks but I wonder if the configs suggested in the last 2 posts would be powerful enough for raw image editing.

Thanks!

^ I have i3 2100 and previously had an nvidia 8400GS (crappy card), I used to edit 10000x5000 pixel jpeg's in photoshop and things went good. Now, when I've removed the graphic card, I'm still able to edit tho photos and even larger ones (15000x8000 jpeg's) with only minor slow downs. So, you'll be smoothly able to handle raw's with i3 3220 + hd7770.

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Ok then I am more or less sold on the i3 build. Will wait another day to see if anyone thinks that AMD is a better buy. Thanks for the input :)

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Got the following:

AMD A10-5800K
Asus F2A85-M-LE
Corsair Vengenace 8GB 1600Mhz CL10
WD Green 500GB
Asus DVD Writer
Corsair CX430
NZXT Gamma

Cilus

laborare est orare
mojojojo, congratulation on your latest purchase. As you know, A10-5800K's CPU is based on Piledriver architecture which does not perform well as expected (But still in the same league of i3 3220) and one of the reason is Windows 7 poor work scheduling logic as it can't understand the Module (One Module has 2 cores, 5800K has two mudules, resulting 4 Cores) based design and hence assigns the work in unoptimized way. So here is the tricks to improve performance and it is valid for all the FX series CPU too.

1. 1st Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Otherwise the advance instruction sets like AVX, FMA or AES will not work.
2. Download and install the following patches after SP1 is installed sequentially as mentioned here:
i. Windows6.1-KB2645594 (1st Patch)
ii. Windows6.1-KB2646060BD (2nd Patch)
iii. 441065_intl_x64 (3rd Patch)
The 1st two patches are relatively older and design to provide better Power states and for preventing Throttling (Throttling prevents the Processor to reach its maximum speed due to improper scheduling). But the last one is the latest one and most of the people are not aware of it. It tells the OS that the Piledriver CPUs are X Core -2X threads design like Intel HT Enabled Processors where X is the number of Modules ( 2 Modules in your case). So A10-5800K will be like a 2 Core, 4 Thread design to OS. This logic improves the performance slightly and also the overclocking capabilities.
Also, in Asus BIOS, you will find an option HPC Mode, enable it and save the BIOS. HPC stands for High performance Computing and it is another solution to avoid CPU Throttling.
So, do those steps and will definitely see some performance improvement.

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Cilius, thanks for the helpful post. Truly appreciated.

Nerevarine, will try but cant guarantee that I will have the time and energy :)

harshilsharma63, thanks!

Myth, the prices:

AMD A10-5800K -
Asus F2A85-M-LE - 14000 for combo
Corsair Vengenace 8GB 1600Mhz CL10 - 3250
WD Green 500GB - 3200
Asus DVD Writer - 1000
Corsair CX430 - 2800
NZXT Gamma - 2375

I have already assembled the rig. So will not be able to post the pics of individual components. Can post a pic of the cabinet with the flap removed. My wire management sucks :)

OP
M

mojojojo

Broken In
Hi guys,

I seem to be having a problem. My Windows Experience Index is only 4.6 (Desktop Graphics). I have read somewhere that AMD A10 should be touching 7.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

Use the latest drivers and ignore WEI scores, they are not benchmarks. Run a graphic benchmark like 3Dmark 11 of furmark :)twisted:) and compare your scores online to see the actual​ performance differences.

Top Bottom