Help...my external HDD is not detected.

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by himadri_sm, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himadri_sm

himadri_sm Mad Eyed Llama

i have a transcend 500gb ext. hdd(Only USB, no external power supply)...lately this HDD would hang & freeze my system...i had some data on the HDD & i could open & explore it but when i tried to say...play a video on the HDD, it said the drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?...but i didnot format it.instead i used acronis disk director & ran a CHKDSK..it found a lot of errors which it corrected...after that i couldnot even open it...the name of the HDD was earlier 500G..but it got changed to Local Disk...after this i opened up control panel> disk management & then deleted the partition(there was only one)...& then tried to format it but it couldnot format saying the HDD was in use or something...so i restarted the computer...& now my HDD doesnot show up in my computer or in Disk management...if i use EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional & search for lost partitions it shows my HDD as an unallocated 465.75 gb space but the software has no option for formatting it...what should i do now to get my HDD working again?

2. rhitwick

rhitwick Democracy is a myth

The HDD is now in RAW format.
    U can't do any operation now.

U mentioned, u've used Acronis Disk Director. Open ur HDD through it.
    Select and create partition, then format as NTFS.

Try it....

3. OP
    OP
    himadri_sm

thanx for replying.the problem is even acronis doesn't detect it now...only EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional detects it but since it is a data recovery software it can't format the partition...any other software...plz guys i need all the help i can get...

4. OP
    OP
    himadri_sm

found a solution...i used a software named active@ killdisk...my HDD showed up on this software & i used it to "kill" my HDD..after that it started to show up in my computer...then i went to disk management & formatted my HDD there.

5. rhitwick

rhitwick Democracy is a myth

So u had to Kill it to make it alive???!!!

Kool:razz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.