help me to find out the right MB

ggalhotra

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

Plz help me to select a MB for this CPU

AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black edition (Rs 5333, source *www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf)

AM3 socket, 4\8gb DDR3 1333 RAM
My budget for CPU+Mb around 10-11K

I am not a gamer, all i want to make use of this CPU is the virtualization Tech.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Get this

AMD Phenom II x4 955-5.65K
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H-4K
Corsair 2*4GB DDR3 1333Mhz-3K

Total-12.65K

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V @5.7K
That's for a socket FM1 APU, either an A8-3850 or A6-3650, not for an AM3 CPU.

@OP: There's a wide range of motherboards to choose from for an AM3 processor. Tell us more about what you need.

For example, do you think you'll need SATA III (6Gb/s) or USB 3 ? These two features are not of much use right now and mobos having them tend to cost more, but they are likely to gain importance over the next few years.

What about PCI slots and PS/2 ports? Personally, I like to have at least two PCI slots and two PS/2 ports (I don't like USB keyboards and mice).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think by CPU OP means he have the cpu and need to get all other components including cabinet, monitor etc. under 10-11k

Here's my suggestion ( assuming he already purchased the 955BE ) :

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE / Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 @ 2.6k
2GB Transcend DDR3 Ram @ 1.3k
Acer H163WA @ 3.6k
Zebronics Bijli with PSU @ 1.5k
TVS Champ KB @ 0.25k
Basic Optical Mouse @ 0.15k
Seagate 500GB HDD @ 1.9k
LG/Samsung DVD RW Drive @ 0.9k

Total : 12.2k

OP
G

ggalhotra

Right off the assembly line
Thx All for the quick response

below is what i plan, i haven't bought the CPU yet.

1) CPU+Mb shud be under 11K. // RAM,HDD and cabinet is nt included in 11K.
2) I guess for me 6gbs SATA is nt much use, USB 3.0 will be soon.

======================
1) AMD X4 955 BLACK @5.5K
2) MB GIGABYTE 880 USB 3.0 (4 SLOT) @ 4.7K or GIGABYTE 880 US3 @4.2K
3) RAM - 2*DDR3 4GB CORRSAIR (1333) or DDR3 GSKILL 4GB 1333 @2.6K
4) HDD -1TB WD SATA @2.5K
5) LCD, wireless KB+mouse - have it.
6) Cabinet - plz suggest , do i need to choose from some specific models? Currently having a Matrix one,
What shud be the PSU specs ?

My concern is i shud nt end up buying a high end MB, IF a MB using all the capabilities of this CPU comes at 4K, i am ok with that. looking "value for money"

Thanks

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
^ He's asking about the motherboard and the budget he stated is for the processor + mobo.

Those two mobos are nice, inexpensive and available everywhere, but the Asus M4A78LT-M LE is meant for a 95W processor whereas the 955 is a 125W TDP model.

I was thinking of suggesting the GA-MA78LMT-S2 but it has only one PS/2 port, which is why I asked him about the features he wants to have.

I'm thinking of getting a new rig of roughly the same class and have been investigating the choices of mobos available. It's a pity that no online shop in India seems to offer Asrock and Biostar motherboards. They all have mostly Asus and Gigabyte products with a sprinkling of MSI and ECS.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thx All for the quick response

below is what i plan, i haven't bought the CPU yet.

1) CPU+Mb shud be under 11K. // RAM,HDD and cabinet is nt included in 11K.
2) I guess for me 6gbs SATA is nt much use, USB 3.0 will be soon.

======================
1) AMD X4 955 BLACK @5.5K
2) MB GIGABYTE 880 USB 3.0 (4 SLOT) @ 4.7K or GIGABYTE 880 US3 @4.2K
3) RAM - 2*DDR3 4GB CORRSAIR (1333) or DDR3 GSKILL 4GB 1333 @2.6K
4) HDD -1TB WD SATA @2.5K
5) LCD, wireless KB+mouse - have it.
6) Cabinet - plz suggest , do i need to choose from some specific models? Currently having a Matrix one,
What shud be the PSU specs ?

My concern is i shud nt end up buying a high end MB, IF a MB using all the capabilities of this CPU comes at 4K, i am ok with that. looking "value for money"

Thanks

For virtualization apps more cpu core always helps and if the budget is only for mobo+cpu then you better get AMD Phenom II X6 1055 @ 7.75k and Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4k and don't forget to get 8GB ram as well ;-)

Top Bottom