Help me choose a motherboard?

prankie

D PrankMaster
Hi, I want to purchase a new motherboard for my existing system.
Budget: 4-5.5k
Platform: AMD
My current cpu is Phenom II 550BE (AM3) I need a system which is compatible with AM3 as well as AM3+, also I need a board which is good for gaming. I have radeon 6850.
Also it should support USB3 and fastest memory speed.
Please give your suggestions. and also recommend from where should I buy it.. btw, I stay at pune..

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get the Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 @ 4.8K. It is based on Am3+ socket, supports all the current gen Phenom II processors as well as the FX series processors.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
^^^^
This is a micro ATX form factor board right.. so i guess it will have issues with my existing cpu cooler (hyper 212plus) right?? btw i liked the asus M5A97, for how much can I get it?

Last edited:
OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
I said this because even in my existing motherboard which is a full ATX I have hard time taking out RAM from first 2 slots when there are Fans placed on the cooler on both the sides..

Cilus

laborare est orare
This problem is not due to Motherboard form-factor but because of Ram slot placements. Even in highend motherboards like Asus Sabertooth, if a big CPU cooler is placed, big sized Ram modules like Corsair Vengenace cannot be placed in the 1st socket, near to the CPU.

Get the mobo I've suggested, getting a Full ATX mobo won't solve the problem you have specified.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
@cilus
Thanks for your suggestion.. can you also tell me from where can I buy this board? because I'm new to pune.. so I will prefer buying it online where I can get it at the most reasonable price..

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ u can get it from here its a trusted site
Buy Gigabyte | Gigabyte motherboard in India | Gigabyte GA 880GM USB3 Motherboard

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
Thanks Cilus and Mithun for your suggestions
finally bought the gigabyte board from primeabgb online. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the description on primeabgb site is for GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 1.x) & not the superior AM3+ ready GA-880GM-USB3 (rev. 3.1). this is why people should not take advice on net without research.

Cilus

laborare est orare
As per my knowledge, SMC is keeping the Rev 3.1 version of this motherboard. Here is the Link: Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
no way can anyone make out the revision form the pics or the data mentioned in the site the buyer himself to confirm it from the vendor if it has the black AM3+ socket

Cilus

laborare est orare
+1 for cilus bcse he is always right

Arrey, it is nothing like that. One forum member (can't remember his name), after our suggestion, mailed SMC to verify the revision number. SMC verified that Rev 3.1 is writted over the box and confirmed him.

I think prankie should do the same before making his purchase; Mail the shortlisted online shops about the revision number and let them confirm. Then he does not have to rely on our guess work.:)

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
Just called primeabgb, they said that the motherboad is Rev 2.1
How good is it? they have not yet dispatched the order.. should i tell them to hold?

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ there is no 2.1 revision of the MB there is only 1.X & 3.1 ask them whether the cpu socket is black or white if it is black then it will support AM3+

Top Bottom