Help me buy a router!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxfx

Broken In
I need a gigabit router for sharing by braoadband coon. and playing LAN games between 3 PCs. I don't need wireless feature but don't mind having one. My budget is 3K. I searched through D-Link and linksys india website a found a few gigabit router but they were priced too high. Also please tell me what kind of gaming performance would i get if I opt for a router with 10/100 LAN.

Thanx in advance.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
who told u D-link routers are low price & also best one .. check this

D-Link DIR-300 Wireless Router
, which is available for 2.2K , 4 PC connect

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Go for wireless routers. Even though they are wireless, they usually have 4 LAN ports for wired networks.

sakumar79

Technomancer
If all you need to do is to share bb conn b/w 3 PCs, you can go for wired switches instead of wireless router if you wish to save some cash... A 8-port switch will probably cost you about 500 bucks, plus you may have to spend some cash on wiring... On the other hand, if you go wireless, it will be convenient when you add a laptop with Wifi enabled which you can carry around without constraint....

Arun

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
Thanks for your suggestions but i would prefer routers to switch for their additional feature and as for DIR-300 router it doesn't have gigabit ports for LAN. And what abt the gaming performance with 10/100 LAN?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
What additional features do you need? For sharing a connection, a switch is more than sufficient. And why do you need a gigabit router specifically?

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
What additional features do you need? For sharing a connection, a switch is more than sufficient. And why do you need a gigabit router specifically?

I need gigabit router for gaming and addition features i am looking for are Wi-Fi, better security because of inbuilt firewall, montitor bandwidth and users, restrict the usage of internet, blocking sites which i don't want to be opened. I may drop the idea of gigabit router,(because it is expensive) if i get good performance while gaming on 10/100 LAN.

kalpik

There is no correlation between a gigabit router and gaming. Even a 100mbps router will do just as good. As for the additional features you require, just get any broadcom based dd-wrt router and you should be good. Be sure not to go for the Linksys ones as the new ones have very little flash memory and hence they only support the micro builds of dd-wrt.. Look at some dd-wrt compatible netgear router.

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
Thanx you releived me a lot by telling that games run fine on 10/100 LAN.As for your second suggestion now i am in a confusion. I have decided to buy D-Link DIR-300 router which supports third party firmware upgarade(dd-wrt)but using third party flash is a risky job. Anyways if upgrade to dd-wrt succesfully that in future for any reasons will i b able to revert to the original firmware and what abt my warranty?

kalpik

I have a DIR-300 myself.. Its not risky to flash to dd-wrt.. You just have to be VERY careful with the instructions. And yes, you can flash back to the stock firmware too.. As long as you flash back to the stock firmware before giving it for warranty, i dint think there should be a problem. And yes, if you're planning on running torrents heavily, avoid DIR-300.

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
If it is not risky then why do i have to be VERY careful, i can just be careful, i hope it's not going to damage my hardware.And yes I do plan to run torrents heavily ( 2a.m. to 8a.m., Bsnl night unlimited), I have chosen another router DIR-330 which is a Broadcom based router with 32MB of RAM and 8MB of flash Memory with mini PCI and serial port (don't know what are they used for)and a USB 2.0 port as against DIR- 300 which is Base on Atheros with 16 MB of RAM and 4MB of flash memory.Please tell me what is Hardware revision, and also why should I avoid DIR-300 for torrents. Please suggest me router other than DIR-300 which you think is better costing not more than Rs 3000.

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
waiting......................................................................................................................

kalpik

I have no idea about DIR-330. But DIR-300 reboots on heavy torrent use.. At least mine does. Since i haven't used any other router, im not sure if im in a place to recommend you one. Why don't you look around at the dd-wrt forum and find out which is the best device for you.

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
Thanx for reply, I have to drop the idea of DIR-330 coz it is very expensice approc Rs 6K. I will have to stick to DIR-300 and coz it is very gud router and it is available for cheap less than 2.5K. Regarding the rebooting of router i will have to start another Thread(in thinkdigit.com/forum and also dd-wrt forum). And i would also like to thank for telling me about DD-WRT, i never knew such thing exists. Thanx and Bye.

kalpik

On further investigation, DIR-330 is a VERY good router and is very well supported on dd-wrt.. The price which you aew quoting here is taken from a shop, or are you just doing the dollar conversion? If its not too expensive, i might buy one too..

OP
M

Maxfx

Broken In
I guess u r using dd-wrt firmware in ur DIR-300 router which might be causing reboots while downloading torrent , if u r using dd-wrt firmware them please give me it's details which might be of some use to me, in asking abt problem related to the router . If u r usingh the stock firmware then the things might change if u use dd-wrt firmware.The price i have quoted is the dollar conversion, and will let you know the price if i am able to get one.

also please visit my new thread related to DIR-300 it might b of some use to you
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111529

The new thread i have started has already a reply that, this is a common problem with all routers(I believe that he is talking routers with stock firmware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom