.:: Help Me Buy A Pen Drive ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
Hi Guys I am planning to buy a USB Pen Drive either 128 or 256 MB.

I would like to know what should I look for before buying a pen drive.

Are there any benchmarks for it?

Did digit carry a shootout in the mag anytime??

Plz help me buy

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Digit had them at agent001, check june/july 2005 issue.

USB pen drives prices:
64mb--> 650rs.
128 mb-->900rs
256mb -->1.6k
1gb--> 2.5-2.7k

Look these are not branded..so in case u want a branded one, it will cost more.

Also discussed here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201958#201958

khandu

In the zone
i dont think u need to benchmark..

many brands are there like iball, transcend etc.. iball is cheap and sufficiend.. transcend is more expensive but established brand..

iball rates approx are 128 MB : Rs. 1000
256 : 1600
512 : Rs. 2800

all approx..

aadipa

Padawan
I just got Transcend JetFlash (TS1GJF2B) 1GB USB 2.0 @ Rs 4050

Came with 2 yrs warranty.

No idea about smaller size

tuxfan

Technomancer
What advantage does a pen drive have over a combo of memory card+USB card reader? I feel the combo is better becase you can use the card even in Mobiles, PDAs, DigiCams, etc. There's not even too much difference in costs.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
tuxfan said:
What advantage does a pen drive have over a combo of memory card+USB card reader? I feel the combo is better becase you can use the card even in Mobiles, PDAs, DigiCams, etc. There's not even too much difference in costs.

The advantage of a pen drive will be the data transfer speed and also the size... a combo of a card reader and memory card will be bulky and will not be wirefree.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
tuxfan said:
well, thats what i'm doing for now. i bought a transcend mmc card of 512 mb for 2.7k (with 5 years warranty). although its not as cheap as a pendrive, i think the warranty made up for the money. but then again, if u dont have a card reader, or a mobile phone with mmc/sd card support, then its just right to have a pen drive, ultra portable and really comes in handy (u cant use a card reader device as a key chain).

but just FYI, chinese made cards are available for cheap rates, albeit you cant get any warranty on them in most cases (a 1 gb NCP card cost me 3.1k).

mohit said:
The advantage of a pen drive will be the data transfer speed
transfer speed isnt affected for thumbdrives or card readers. the transfer rates remain the same depending upon the type of connection. it will be faster for USB 2.0 while slower than that for older USB ports.

plasmafire said:
i need to get a XDcard USB drive.. any ideas?
to transfer images from my Fuji digicam to the studio.
there r card readers available that can read cards of various types (sd, mmc, xd, memory stick pro, etc. - some can read upto 10 types of cards). since you are moving to Powai, just inquire a bit. sorry, but i have no idea about the cost.

plasmafire

Journeyman
@sreevirus i don't need a card reader.. just an XD usb drive without the card.. with a reader, i can only connect by using propreitary drivers.

khandu

In the zone
i just know about card readers.. 19-in-1..

can read XD cards also and are plug n play in XP..

hardly 400 bucks in maket.. i use it.. excellent..

plasmafire

Journeyman
*www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/accessories/accessory.php?id=404

Phew...got a link :idea: ..herezz what it looks like *www.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/media/spares/404.jpg

do check out my review of the cam :D *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214029#214029

khandu

In the zone
that is also a card reader which can just read XD card.. and are much more expensie..

but y not go for the 19-n-1 ?? much much cheaper that that and can read much more media.. and is USB and plug n play in Windows XP

khandu

In the zone
Looks like

*img.abture.com/250/40400.jpg

dosent need driver for XP.. cd is provided for 98.. cant say about linux

without the extension cable its pretty small.. fits in palm..

tuxfan

Technomancer
My card reader looks pretty similar (including the curves and lights ;)) Its very small and lights. Its as big as about 6-7 credit cards kept together on top of each other.

It gets recognised in Mandrake 10.1 and PCQLinux 2005 (based on Fedora Core 3) without any problem.

It gets recognised in WinXP too, but Win98 was a problem. The accompanying CD didn't carry the right drivers. Then after some struggle, I got hold of 4 files on net that makes it work well in Win98 :D I have saved them safely. So if anyone needs it, contact me. Files are pretty small. I can even email them.

plasmafire

Journeyman
hey khandu, the reader in the pic ios HUGE.. larger than a CD.. come on man..
if u find a pen type reader tell me.. XD alone will suffice

khandu

In the zone
no no not at all..

its smaller than a CD.. fits in a palm.. the size is exact as compared to my ICICI Debit card..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom