help me buy a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i need some help buying a laptop for a friend. it is for general home and office use.
i m thinking of buying a DELL one n the configuration i m thinking of is something like this.
1.8 Ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hdd, blue tooth, voice card
sound card
i saw this somewhere. wat wud be the approx price of this??

n plz tell me the correct difference betwn a laptop n a notepad.
is notepad an extension of a hand held n will not have all the features of a laptop.

plz help...

Last edited:

hailgautam

Youngling
1. A Dell Inspiron 6400 with the above config will cost Rs. 56K, however if you go for a Core Duo 1.6 GHz Processor it will be 8k less that is Rs. 48.8K which is resonablly good config for general home office use.

2. You can go for 640m with smaller screen which will be less by further 2k, and which should be ok unless you want a wide-screen monitor.

3. Further you may like to see AMD based laptops (aka Inspiron 1501) which will be around 5k less, config to config compared to Core Duo Processors.

4. If you have someone coming from US to bring the laptop for you, you will have a savings of approx 12-15K INR.

5. for further details you may visit here for all the Dell Inspiron Models in India: *www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/inspn?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

---------------------------------------
Not sure what do you mean by NotePad, The paper ones, the Tablet PC ones or the UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC) ones

1. Tablet PC = They have touch sceen, but to be able to touch it will cost you a bomb, they are available from Toshiba, Acer etal.:neutral:

2. UMPC= they are small, run on WinXP, Slow Processors, Short Battery Life, and yes they too cost a bomb, fairly biggerone, available from Sony, Asus and Samsung. much of Flaunt Value rather than practical usability.:cool:

3. Paper = well they are cheap and best.:D

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
any idea abt prices in the gulf ?? dubai ?? a friend of mine is coming home in mid jan.
will it be cheaper there??

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
iinfi said:
any idea abt prices in the gulf ?? dubai ?? a friend of mine is coming home in mid jan.
will it be cheaper there??
Laptops in Dubai are cheaper than in India but I'm not sure if the prices are less in Dubai or in USA.

Anyway you can see the price list of Laptops in Dubai: Laptop Prices in Dubai (it has various models, config and price as well).

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks for your help guys.. i will chk it out

Last edited:

Alfansey06

Broken In
iinfi said:
n plz tell me the correct difference betwn a laptop n a notepad.
is notepad an extension of a hand held n will not have all the features of a laptop.

plz help...

Laptop is a portable computer, named bcaz it will rest in your lap.

Notepad is a text editor in the Windows Operating System. :-D

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks for the info ...

do u get 64 bit in laptops also ? will laptops be upgradeable??

sting

Journeyman
Just bought a new HP P dv2097 last week, it cost me AED4800 (in Dubai)
*my.opera.com/sarathm/blog/2006/12/24/my-new-laptop

abhineet

tech geek
i have heard there is some kind of a problem with the microprocessor in laptops from DELL.
They may work fine for a year or so but later on performance reduces.
\go for HP.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
^^
problem with microprocessor in DELL laptops?? is it so ??? i v jus told my friend to look 4 DELL ones :(

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
Alfansey06 said:
Laptop is a portable computer, named bcaz it will rest in your lap.

Notepad is a text editor in the Windows Operating System. :-D
that was the funniest goofup i have ever come across
yes notepad is a text editor...
i think our friend must have meant notebook
laptops are also known as notebooks..not much of difference...
apple calls its laptop macbook...FYI

abhineet

tech geek
well one of my friend's dad, he is MD of Microtel corp.US
told me not to buy dell laptops instead look for IBM,toshiba or sony VAIO.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
problem in Dell processors... NEVER... i have 3 dell ... one is almost 6 yrs old... no problem yet just had to get a HDD upgrade.... 2nd is 4 yrs old... no problem yet.. and a new one just 6 months.... which is under international warrenty for 3 yrs... so will have no problem hopefully...

The dell support is the best i have ever experienced...

now buying a laptop from Dubai... mind it it will have ARABIC text on the keppad along with the english... i have a Siemens Fujitsu from Dubai...

I prefer to get a dell from US with warrenty if possible or a dell from INDIA...

otherwise... go for a Compaq...

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks all for your help ...

my friend has bought a laptop frm dubai.
dual core, 1.8 GHZ. processor, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hdd,blue tooth n more

cost: its for 3999 Dh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom