Help me buy a 250GB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharatchoragudi

Right off the assembly line
Guys which of the following should i buy considering i have the followin config:

P4 HT On an Intel 915GAV
512MB DDR SDRAM hynix
80GB SATA Seagate @ 7.2k rpm
XFX 6600

The options are:

1) Seagate
2) Maxtor
3) Hitachi
4) Western Digital

Thanks

OP
B

bharatchoragudi

but does it have sufficient service centres in India? Plus how costly is it than Seagate and others and wat about the performance ratings??

G

gxsaurav

tech_mastermind said:
Western Digital because it is no.1 brand of US.

so, that maked WD the best out there, just because it's #1 in U.S?

I would say get a samsung SATA 250 GB

OP
B

bharatchoragudi

Thanks Saurav.. but i've lost faith in Samsung products esp after the optical drive problems all samsund products face.. i can trust samsung anymore.. do u have any other alternative?? or anybody else??

Thanks

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well, I have been using SEAGATE HDD, since I can remember. The oldest being 4.3 GB which is still working fine (8 years old). And currently using one 80 GB PATA and 120 GB SATA, all from seagate.

And they also have good service to top that.
So my suggestion is SEAGATE.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
yeah I hv 2 Seagate SATA 160 GB HDDs and both of then workd xcellent 4 the past 6 months !!! Also I used to be a owner of a 80 GB Samsung PATA HDD and they have given me ultimate satisfacory performance for four years untill I sold it in compelte working condition.

So both Samsung and Seagate have given me satisfactory performances. As for the manufacturers support, it has never been reqd. coz thr was no problems. So the persons who had problems actually wid them can clarify about their after sales services and warranty support.

Now, if u r dissatisfied wid Samsung, then its better to go 4 a Seagate HDD. Because of their 5 year warranty and enormous number of srvice centers in India.

WD is the best though I wud suggest that not to buy them in India.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well.....WD for performance...but prople often complain about support....
And Seagate is easily available.....and 200GB SATA (II) costs only 4000 bucks.....

Third Eye

gooby pls
gxsaurav said:
so, that maked WD the best out there, just because it's #1 in U.S?

I would say get a samsung SATA 250 GB

@gxsaurav:So you like SAMSUNG who don't know how to make a good CD\DVD Writer.

@bharatchoragudi -Seagate is cheapest so buy it.I have Seagate 80 GB HDD SATA,it's great.

Last edited:

geekgod

Journeyman
Seagate is cheapest so buy it.
not only cheap..in fact the seagte 7200.9 range of sata2 hard disks are giving insane performances..the 160 gb and 300 gb variants use 160gb drive platters, that give above 60mb/s avg transfer speeds, unmatched by any other 7200 rpm drives. and that is coupled with easy availibilty and seagates 5 years warranty.

i would suggest a seagate 7200.9 160gb hdd, costs just about 3000 bucks.

royal

Padawan
geekgod said:
not only cheap..in fact the seagte 7200.9 range of sata2 hard disks are giving insane performances..the 160 gb and 300 gb variants use 160gb drive platters, that give above 60mb/s avg transfer speeds, unmatched by any other 7200 rpm drives. and that is coupled with easy availibilty and seagates 5 years warranty.

i would suggest a seagate 7200.9 160gb hdd, costs just about 3000 bucks.

What about price and performance of Seagate 7200 160GB SATA1 hdd :confused:

geekgod

Journeyman
well..theoretically sata2 performs better than sata1, but than doesnt translate into much real world performance differenece. if u r a gamer u'll have a bit faster load times, or faster rendering if u r in 3d applications..and better results in hard disk benchmarks.

there are two types of seagate sata1 hdd, ones with NCQ(native command queing) and ones without. NCQ improves performance in multi-user environments, nut might hinder performance in single user ones, even though slightly. this problem has been taken care of in sata2.

i'd prefer a seagate 169 gb sata2 if u r buying a hrd disk right now, bcoz it is cheap and is newer technology.otherwise the seagate 160gb sata1 is quite a good drive. a friend of mine has it and he's quite happy.

suman2005

Broken In
papai_mcc said:
go for hitachi 250gb sataII

^^^ I agree. I use one of these HDDs and it is GREAT !!

Here is a comparison of some 250GB drives by one of the best sites on HDDs....

*www.storagereview.net/articles/200601/250_1.html

This reviews conclusion is.....

We would be remiss without noting that, overall, performance differences between all five contenders remain relatively small. These days, 250 gigabyte SATA drives are commodities; all players have honed their offerings down to levels where distinguishing between them on the basis of performance, environmental factors, and price can be quite difficult. Absolute fastest? Hitachi. Least expensive? Maxtor. Quietest? Samsung. None of these factors matter? Choose your favorite brand.

Last edited:
using 250gb seagate 7200rpm ,and it cost me 4300bucks

no issues with the hdd at all, go for seagate , i owns lots of hdds of seagate from the older times when 10gb hdd is costly..and i trust seagate..as today also my 10gb hdd,20gb 120gb and 250gb @seagate and no one has given me any problem yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom