Help in choosing 5.1 Speakers for DVD Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

umeshk74

Broken In
Dear Friends

I have bought Passion DVD Player and am confused in choosing the right kind of 5.1 speaker set for them. The player has 5.1 analog output, digital coaxial and optical outputs. My budget for the speakers is 5k.

After going through this month's review on digit magazine, I had shortlisted Altec Lansing VS3251. But i am confused as to how to connect them to the DVD Player. Their quick connect guide shows how to connect them with PC Sound Card, Console gaming and portable audio devices. Moreover i guess that the package has stereo cables (different jacks), whereas the DVD Player has other kind of Jacks.

Could you please help me out that if I buy these speakers, then how to connect them with the DVD player or else suggest some good speakers which can be connected to the DVD player.

Although Logitech Z 5500 has coaxial digital input but they are way overpriced compared to the budget that I have.

Since I am not a tech-geek, i am very much confused in choosing the right kind of 5.1 speaker set for the DVD player.

Thanks in advance. :)

Umesh

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
see, before we proceed, i would really suggest you to go through this thread:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85382

OP
umeshk74

umeshk74

Broken In
Mayank bhai

That thread is discussing about rms and technical stuff like that.

My point is that if I buy Altec Lansing VS3251, how do i connect those to my dvd player cos the speaker quick connect guide shows how to connect them with PC Sound Card, Console gaming and portable audio devices. Moreover i guess that the package has stereo cables (different jacks), whereas the DVD Player has other kind of Jacks.

And if i cannot connect these speakers to my dvd player then kindly suggest some other brand which can be connected to my dvd player (under 5k)

Thanks

Last edited:

moshel

Padawan
doesnt ur player have any audio out or even a 3.5mm jack? although i have not actually seen the connectors of the altec lansing, what i believe is that u need just one 3.5mm jack in your source. while all the surround sound speakers will fit into the back of the woofer.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@umesh,
ok, can u be little more specific about the DVD player?
See, RC-Jacks are available on most dvd players!
ok, tell me few things before we proceed:

1. Does your DVD player support 6 channel output?
2. The speakers connect to ur PC with RCA to Stereo wires?
3. The satellites are connected to LFE with RCA wire plucker or straight RCA jack?

ok, they use 3.5mm stereo jack! See, the RCA<->Stereo connector is available at any electronics shop. Get one, purchase three long RCA wires with both male sockets at ends. Connect them to connector at one end and other to the dvd RCA input sockets. However,u need to be sure that DVD player is 6 channel compliant!

Last edited:
OP
umeshk74

umeshk74

Broken In
Dear Mayank Bhai
1. DVD Player has a 6 Channel Output
2. I already have separate 5.1 speakers for my PC. I plan to buy new speakers exclusively for the DVD player.

The following link contains a snapshot of the rear connectors of my DVD Player
*img222.imageshack.us/img222/4567/picture267editedms5.jpg

Kindly suggest good 5.1 speaker system for the same. Also suggest if I can get a 5.1 speaker system which has a digital coaxial input and is below 5-6K :D

Thanks

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
ohh, i am sorry for misunderstanding bro. Actually, i thought that u are going to connect the same PC 5.1 speakers with ur DVD player!
Anyways, u said below 5-6K, right?
I'll assume 5.5K! :D Coz, anything below than that and u've to compromise with "Dabba" 5.1 speakers! Even if u want that, i can tell u few ok models. But for now, i am telling u speakers with ~5.5K pricetags. Few hundreds may vary though...
So, here are few:
1. Altec Lansing 251: If u can find this set. Just go for it.
2. Logitech X540: Promising performance for what u are paying.
3. Altec Lansing VS3151R
4. Philips MMS 460: My personal suggestion. :) Excellent VFM and respectable performance. 100W RMS is mentioned, however, the continuous power is ~80W! However, very good sound, if placed properly.

OP
umeshk74

umeshk74

Broken In

After going through this month's review on digit magazine, I had shortlisted Altec Lansing VS3251. But i am confused as to how to connect them to the DVD Player. Their quick connect guide shows how to connect them with PC Sound Card, Console gaming and portable audio devices.

Could you please help me out that if I buy these speakers, then how to connect them with the DVD player or else suggest some good speakers which can be connected to the DVD player.

They dont have the same sockets as in DVD player
*www.alteclansing.com/images/quick/VS3251-QCC.pdf

Moreover if i use the RCA<->Stereo connectors will i still get true 5.1 effect. If yes, how many connectors will be required

moshel

Padawan
i guess these speakers should work with the DVD player. although i am not sure whether u will get a real 5.1 channel experience.

just check out the site,

"Sure, its compact satellites and gnarly subwoofer are good-looking. But listen to the VS3251, and you’ll forget about looks. This system rocks! You can get awesome 6-channel surround sound from a PC or game console.* But you can also plug in your iPod or DVD player and get 70 watts of full-bodied, hard-charging stereo. And it includes a wireless remote. This is a romping good deal!
*PC or game console must be outfitted with a 6-channel sound card."

*www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=19

oh ya i just noticed, that hooking those up to the DVD player will give a stereo sound (not 5.1).

I tell u man, u will have to get speakers which have individual cabling for all the speakers i.e. 1 cable for the FR, 1 for FL, 1 for center, 1 for woofer, 1 for SR and 1 for SL. only then ur dvd player will be able to play true 5.1.

OP
umeshk74

umeshk74

Broken In
oh ya i just noticed, that hooking those up to the DVD player will give a stereo sound (not 5.1).

I tell u man, u will have to get speakers which have individual cabling for all the speakers i.e. 1 cable for the FR, 1 for FL, 1 for center, 1 for woofer, 1 for SR and 1 for SL. only then ur dvd player will be able to play true 5.1.

Kindly suggest some alternates please.

Also advise if I go in for 5.1 speakers which has a digital coaxial input..... what is the starting rage for these.

Thanks

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
the VS3251.pdf itself shows that u can connect speakers to any game console or DVD! See, i already mentioned that u''ll need 3 converters! Ofcourse u'll getting true 5.1 surround sound audio!

moshel

Padawan
@mayanksharma: I might be wrong but what i believe ur trying to say is that if we hook up the VS321 to the DVD player we get 5.1 sound.

if that is the case then i believe its wrong. did u read within the fine lines of the pdf file. i posted the whole thing above.
"Sure, its compact satellites and gnarly subwoofer are good-looking. But listen to the VS3251, and you’ll forget about looks. This system rocks! You can get awesome 6-channel surround sound from a PC or game console.* But you can also plug in your iPod or DVD player and get 70 watts of full-bodied, hard-charging stereo. And it includes a wireless remote. This is a romping good deal!
*PC or game console must be outfitted with a 6-channel sound card."

this is how this system works.
there are three cables 1 is the front output, 1 is rear output and and 1 is the LFE/center output. all these connections are made via the 3.5mm jacks like those present on the PC sound cards. now until the DVD player does not have these inputs, how can u get real 5.1? (im not able to open the pic of dvd player so cant really say if the player has it or not)

the speakers will have to be connected to the DVD player via the single "Green" cable. and i dont think it will make use of the 5.1 channels present on dvds (although i cud be wrong). so at most u will get a stereo sound (from all speakers of course).

alternates...hmm....sorry i dunt have much idea. but check out philips, there is one model with inbuilt FM, just go to the showroom and have a listen to those. the speakers cost abt 6k.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@mayanksharma: I might be wrong but what i believe ur trying to say is that if we hook up the VS321 to the DVD player we get 5.1 sound. if that is the case then i believe its wrong. did u read within the fine lines of the pdf file.

@moshel, i think, u've been paying more attention to the pdf rather than reading what the thread starter said earlier!! :D :p
Look below..

Dear Mayank Bhai
1. DVD Player has a 6 Channel Output
The following link contains a snapshot of the rear connectors of my DVD Player
*img222.imageshack.us/img222/4567/picture267editedms5.jpg
Thanks

OP
umeshk74

umeshk74

Broken In
Dear Friends

First of all sorry for troubling you all.

The Key features of my DVD player are as follows :

* DIVX & USB2.0 Compatible
* Compatible with MPEG/DVD/VCD/CD R/ CD RW/MP3/JPEG
* 108MHz/12 Bit VIDEO D/A
* Newest Prologic II Technology
* 5.1 Surround sound
* TV Virtual surrounds sound
* Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
* Coaxial Digital output
* Component Video, S-Video Output
* Selection Screen aspect ration (4:3 & 16:9)
* Multi angle zoom and slow mode
* Fully functional remote control
* Universal power supply: AC 110v # 240v
* Audio Equalizer
* Instance Replay/Advance

I did a google search for digital 5.1 speakers and came across the following brands (I guess all have digital coaxial and optical digital inputs. I am not sure about the eSys model though)

1. Philips HTR 5000
2. Philips HTR 5205
3. Onida HTR 4800
4. eSys Divoom Comet A1

Both the philips models have class D amplifiers. But it doesnt where to buy them in Delhi and what are there prices.

Can u please suggest which of these to choose from ???

Mera Confusion Bad gaya hai :confused: .......
............so I have increased my budget slightly as well :rolleyes:.

Thanks

Last edited:

moshel

Padawan
@mayanksharma: i think there is some misunderstanding between the both of us. so im just gonna end it rather than argue more.

@umeshk74...here are the phillips retail outlets in delhi.

Philips Arena - Delhi (East)
3, Vigyan Vihar, Near Yamuna Sports Complex, Near Anand Vihar Colony, Delhi-110 092.
Tel : (011) 22149595 / 22159595

Philips Arena - Delhi (Central)
P-25, Outer Circle, Connaught Place, Below Madras Hotel, New Delhi - 110 001.
Tel : (011) 23742578

Philips Arena - Delhi (North)
7332, Prem Nagar, Shakti Nagar Chowk, New Delhi - 110 007.
Tel : (011) 23829229

Philips Arena - Delhi (West)
A-3/315, Paschim Vihar, Opp. BPCL Petrol Pump, Near Jwala Heri Market, New Delhi.
Tel : (011) 42321700 / 42321800

check this page if ur somewhere else....:D
*www.india.philips.com/about/company/local/locations/exclusiveretailoutlets/index.page

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@mayanksharma: i think there is some misunderstanding between the both of us. so im just gonna end it rather than argue more.
what sort of misunderstanding? and u are moshel from ts.in...right? see, if there is something. Better clear it out than staying in dilemma! IMO, that'll be good for us. :)
I just said that, the Front, Rear, LFE/Center are connecting to pc sound card using three stereo connectors. Right? Now as his dvd player is 6 channel capable, so we just need to connect those three connectors to dvd's RCA input using converters. And, for that he'll require three converters.
IMO, u are going by what is said at the Altec's site! They mentioned...Stereo sound! hehe...that is meant for listening music, while with 5.1 movie/audio source disc, the speaker will provide true 6 channel sound becoz of DVD player's 6 channel output capability. Nuff' said! :)

moshel

Padawan
what sort of misunderstanding? and u are moshel from ts.in...right? see, if there is something. Better clear it out than staying in dilemma! IMO, that'll be good for us. :)
I just said that, the Front, Rear, LFE/Center are connecting to pc sound card using three stereo connectors. Right? Now as his dvd player is 6 channel capable, so we just need to connect those three connectors to dvd's RCA input using converters. And, for that he'll require three converters.
IMO, u are going by what is said at the Altec's site! They mentioned...Stereo sound! hehe...that is meant for listening music, while with 5.1 movie/audio source disc, the speaker will provide true 6 channel sound becoz of DVD player's 6 channel output capability. Nuff' said! :)

yeah im from ts.in.

ok well i got it now, so he will have to purchase a connector where on one end he will put in one of the single cable (lets suppose front output) from the speaker and the other end of the connector will go into the two ports (i.e. FR and FL) at the back of the DVD player. correct?

thxx for explaining.

OP
umeshk74

umeshk74

Broken In
@Moshel
Thanks buddy for providing the addresses :)
But their website isnt featuring the models I have mentioned :confused:

@all
The sets which I have quoted...... will these be good enough ??:confused:

@mayank
Bro whats ts.in ??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.