Help in buying a psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Wow the corsairs are superb,I didn't knew they were that good.Read many reviews in different sites and everywhere VX450 is described in one word WOW.By the time go for shopping if I have I enough money,I'll go for it eyes closed. So as a back up plan I've shortlisted these

Corsair CX400
CM REAL POWER 460
Corsair VX450.

Now guys do you think CX400 is enough for my rig,Coz that looks like a good deal,keeping in mind the cost and its performance.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
900 bucks? You sure that isn't a typo!
noo not 900 bucks,900 watts.
I've edited it though

Last edited:

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Wow the corsairs are superb,I didn't knew they were that good.Read many reviews in different sites and everywhere VX450 is described in one word WOW.By the time go for shopping if I have I enough money,I'll go for it eyes closed.
Told you so! :wink:
CX400W would be fine for your rig!

yeah I asked for Tagan TG-500-U37, but they quoted the price for TG-900-U37. Sent it in second mail on request though.
There is no model called TG-900-U37!

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Reviews that helped to choose wisely

Everything you need to Know about power supplies

How Much Power Can a Generic 500 W Power Supply Really Deliver?
Understanding the 80Plus certification

Corsair CX400W

Corsair VX450W

Cooler Master Extreme power Plus 500W

Cooler Master Extreme power Plus 460W

Last edited:

avi007

Broken In
Hi ,

C M real power 460 w is 80 pls bronze certified .

see the link *www.coolermaster.com/product.php?category_id=24&product_id=5483.

Go for C M extreme 400w or 500w @ 2600 & 2900 .

No problem in services C M India is team is there to help .

Call : Acro Eng ( C M distributor )011 40525641 -45 for any issue .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^@avi007, as everyone else has mentioned, better not pick CM ExtremePower.

@sriharsha, if possible, go for VX450W. it's an amazing piece of hardware and also comes with 5yr warranty.

if not, look for CM Real Power or Tagan 80PLUS certified PSUs

Krow

Crowman
Hi ,

C M real power 460 w is 80 pls bronze certified .

see the link *www.coolermaster.com/product.php?category_id=24&product_id=5483.

Go for C M extreme 400w or 500w @ 2600 & 2900 .

No problem in services C M India is team is there to help .

Call : Acro Eng ( C M distributor )011 40525641 -45 for any issue .
So what if it is 80 plus bronze? *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS#Efficiency_level_certifications

It is still 80 plus! :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
This product has a higher price tag than other entry-level power supplies up to 450 W we have recently reviewed, but it is not more expensive. How is that possible? Since it can maintain efficiency above 85% even though you will initially pay a higher price to bring this product home the savings you will have on you electricity bill will compensate the buy in just a few months, especially if you keep your computer turned on for several hours a day.
==================================================
This is what hardware secrets say about VX450W. So, it's better to stick to a better PSU than paying more electricity bills every month :)

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
This product has a higher price tag than other entry-level power supplies up to 450 W we have recently reviewed, but it is not more expensive. How is that possible? Since it can maintain efficiency above 85% even though you will initially pay a higher price to bring this product home the savings you will have on you electricity bill will compensate the buy in just a few months, especially if you keep your computer turned on for several hours a day.
==================================================
This is what hardware secrets say about VX450W. So, it's better to stick to a better PSU than paying more electricity bills every month :)
Yeah anna,that was going through my mind ever since I read that review and there were hardly any ripples and noise at loads,compared with CM models.So i'm looking for ways to save 4K for this beauty oops BEAST.:))

kanofine

Broken In
My town is just a 4hr drive from Bangalore. So I'm planning to buy those from Bangalore owing to significant price diff. So plz suggest me some good shops to buy and if possible their contacts.

Go to S P Road Banglore - Golcha or Mint Computers ( Same Owner ) , Ankit Infotech . Hope for SP Road you will not need any phone numbers . These two shops are in main market area.:razz:
Posted again:
If you are not upgrading your rig in future then cm 460 exteme powe + is good enough but you can instead go for gigabyte superb 460w which comes at a similar price and is better then cm 460w .
If you plan to spend 1k more on cm real power then instead of it you can get corsair vx400w which is a better deal and will cost you around 3k which also has 5 years warranty .

If you are sticking with CM Extreme power series then make sure that the psu is of extreme power PLUS series and not just extreme power since both are two different PSU's .
Hi Rohan , there is no any model VX 400 in Corsaire . It is CX 400 :oops:

Last edited:

kanofine

Broken In
An absolute big NO to your choice! CM Extreme is time bomb waiting to explode and it will take your PC along with it! Would always advice you to stick to CM Real Power one's. The wattage you need depends on the future shopping list.
Best no nonsense solution is Corsair VX450W, cant beat that! That 1k-1.5k is absolutely worth it!
If you want to stick to your 2.5k budget, Gigabyte Superb 460W at 2.3k at lynx-india!
Hell_storm2006

Do you really have any such experiance of explosion ? :shock: Earlier an year and half back I did purchase Extreme Power 600 Duo from Top Notch which stopped working making small noise of fuse blown off . Later upon investigation it came to know that the back side "selector switch" was set to 115 V. It was CM's factory fault as the whole shipment to their distributor was set to 115 Volts. As far as Extreme Power Plus 460 Watt is concerned there are no any such issues with this PSU .

kanofine

Broken In
Difference between Extreme Power and Extreme Power Plus is unline the former "Plus"series has 1 No. CPU 4 + 4 Pin Connector , 2 Nos. 6 + 2 PCIe Connectors CM had removed fan sound problem from "Plus" Series , AND HAVE INCREASED PRICES :(
Hahahah.. just kidding .... Extreme Power Plus series is excellent and out performs every PSU from Tagan , Gigabyte which is not 80 Plus in price vs. performance and ofcourse after sales service
There are many people in this forum who would bash up Cooler master extreme series since they have seen some threads in other forums where these psu's have exploded . Cooler master has stopped producing extreme power series PSU and the new models which are being produced are called extreme power plus , many people get confused due to this name and think that all CM psu's are crap . For your rig the gigabyte Superb is an excellent choise . If you cant find that then you can happly purchase CM 460w Extreme power plus , it will easily handle your current rig . I am right now on CM extreme power plus 500w and it can handle hd4850 very well . Your best choise is corsair vx400 , even it is mentioned at 400w , it is far better then cm460 or gigabyte since it can provide more power ie around 500w . My friend runs a Gtx260 with e8400 , 4gb ram and 4 hdd's on a vx400 and it works very well .
Again a big no from me for a second hand psu . With time the psu capicity goes on decreasing !!

Posted again:
Even Extreme Power Plus is of the old technology. They haven't changed much. And they seriously are a pain. So Plus Minus doesn't matter. If its extreme stay away its extremely dangerous. :razz:

Corsairs have the best quality that a person can ask for! A VX450W can give you 520W on extreme load for quite a while without getting drained. No other PSU can claim that! Tagans are good. But BZ500 is way too expensive and not VFM. If you have a low powered rig then CX400 from Corsair would also be fine at 3.2k.

Do not underestimate the Gigabyte one. It is an 80+ certified PSU. Haven't heard complaints about it till now. Its the best VFM PSU in the market now!

By any chance do you have a huge stocks of Corsaire lying or have great offer given to stock up Gigabyte ?
Posted again:
Even Extreme Power Plus is of the old technology. They haven't changed much. And they seriously are a pain. So Plus Minus doesn't matter. If its extreme stay away its extremely dangerous. :razz:

Corsairs have the best quality that a person can ask for! A VX450W can give you 520W on extreme load for quite a while without getting drained. No other PSU can claim that! Tagans are good. But BZ500 is way too expensive and not VFM. If you have a low powered rig then CX400 from Corsair would also be fine at 3.2k.

Do not underestimate the Gigabyte one. It is an 80+ certified PSU. Haven't heard complaints about it till now. Its the best VFM PSU in the market now!

By the way Gigabyte Superb 460 is not the 80 Plus . If it is , why not listed here www.80plus.org:?:

Last edited:

kanofine

Broken In
Another problems is that the 400W, 460W whatever CM puts on their PSU is the max power output of the PSU. And we all know that PSU's hardly give 100% output of the rated value. 80+ is Corsair, Gigabyte, Seasonic. Corsair being the leader!
80 Plus are
Cooler Master Silent Power M 500/600/700/850/1000 & Real Power Pro 460 / 850 / 1000 /1250
Antec Earth Watts 380 / 430
Tagan BZ 700 /800 / 1100 /1300
Seasonic 380 / 430
Silverstone 350
Corsaire CX 400 / VX 450 / HX 620 / TX 650 / TX 750

Which are usually available in India
Posted again:
Hi guys I was supposed to buy monitor,psu and some assorted stuff at a time.But got a good deal from Dell so booked S2409 Online for 13.8K incl shipping.
So my PSU purchase has been postponed for a week so keep the options coming guys.
If i'm willing to spend 3.5K on PSU which one out of the above would be best??

BTW my other query had been sidelined what about a Flash drive with good write speeds.??

Go for Corsaire Voyager . It is best. I like the feel , performance everything . Also it is fast .

Last edited:

kanofine

Broken In
Finally, what I understand from your rig is that you are not doing any high end graphics upgrade neither overclocking except addition of 2 cards wifi and TV tuner. So high amperage single +12 V rails PSUs like CX / VX / Silent etc. are really needed ?

Actually this rig can easily be powered by CM 350 Plus PSU , the new PSU launched by CM in India for entry level machines. It is @ INR 1750 with 2 years replacement warranty . ( I myself have set up a machine with 9600 GT and Athlon 620 )

My Suggestion is to go with Extreme Power Plus 500 Watt OEM unit @ INR 2600 . Other recommendations up to you budget .
CM 350 Plus @ INR 1750
Gigabyte Superb @ INR 2000
CM Extreme Power Plus 460 @ INR 2550

OP
sriharsha_madineni

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Finally, what I understand from your rig is that you are not doing any high end graphics upgrade neither overclocking except addition of 2 cards wifi and TV tuner. So high amperage single +12 V rails PSUs like CX / VX / Silent etc. are really needed ?

Actually this rig can easily be powered by CM 350 Plus PSU , the new PSU launched by CM in India for entry level machines. It is @ INR 1750 with 2 years replacement warranty . ( I myself have set up a machine with 9600 GT and Athlon 620 )

My Suggestion is to go with Extreme Power Plus 500 Watt OEM unit @ INR 2600 . Other recommendations up to you budget .
CM 350 Plus @ INR 1750
Gigabyte Superb @ INR 2000
CM Extreme Power Plus 460 @ INR 2550
yeah initially my choice was CM extreme pow plus 460 ,heard some negative reviews and the fact that it is not a 460w,made me think again,So are these noise levels at +12V

CM EXTREME POWER PLUS 500W
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=16282
*img109.imageshack.us/img109/9714/cm500.png

CM EXTREME POWER PLUS 460W
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=10175

*img109.imageshack.us/img109/8772/cm460.png

Corsair CX400W
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=17157

*img109.imageshack.us/img109/529/cx400.png

Corsair VX450W
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=9685

*img109.imageshack.us/img109/1897/vx450.png
SOURCE: hardwaresecrets.com

The efficiency of corsairs is tempting me,so are the almost negligible noise levels. Has anyone seen any reviews on CM real power 460W apart from that one on TE.
Look at the efficiency at 80% loads.This is what i'm looking at
AT 80% load

*img691.imageshack.us/img691/5823/screenshotxb.png
The 86% efficiency of vx450 is tempting and looks like premium I pay for it over others is covered within a few power bills :))
I started this thread as a noob in PSU's and now everything makes sense as why I should avoid generic PSU's. I used to wonder why my power bills kept on increasing and UPS back up went on decreasing when I had just a 400W generic PSU. I was always thinking about the 500 rupee PSU but never thought about higher power bills that I'm paying because of it for almost 1.5 yrs.Yeah as the reviewer said the money I spend over VX450 is recovered with an year of lesser power bills(I wish it would) :))
So right now VX450 is in my mind,given I am able to save 4K by that time or else I'm looking at CX400.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
If you get a Corsair unit -- though you shell out a bit more. You can close your eyes and sleep in peace.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^afaik, there is a separate device that you plug between power out and PSU that takes reading of amount of power going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom