[Help]Harddisk with Messed Up Partitions

Amithansda

Journeyman
Probably this post will be long...Please bear with patience.

I had a dual configuration of Windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu 12.04. Windows partitions are C,D,E sized as 470GB,230GB,230GB respectively, and Linux was Installed on a Separate ext3 partition of size 40GB, recently I decided to remove Linux and Install Windows 8 in its place.
*To remove Linux, I used win8 disk to delete the partition to free up space and fixed Windows Bootloader so that I can enter in Win7 without any hassle.

*To convert that freed up space into NTFS drive, I used Windows Partition Manager but failed to allocate that free space of 40GB to any drive.
So, I installed partition Magic but while starting up Partition Magic, it tried to move to some sectors and I granted permission to do it. That is when myn problem started, after restarting , it wont get into windows 7, Loading Screen comes up then automatically reboots. Tried to fix Startup Repair but it wont start up.

* So, I decided to fix the situation with Windows 8 disk, in hard disk partition choice screen.I did not see my previous c:(470GB) d:(230GB), they dont even exist there...only E partition have 230GB,and 40GB freed up partition.I installed Win8 on 40GB partition and it was okay. Then tried recover my previous 470+230GB using Windows partition manager. They indeed showed in the window, but formatting option was not enabled. God know why, I made 470GB portion active and restarted.

It wont start from then, after POST screen it is showing BOOTMGR not found.What can I do now?

aloodum

Journeyman
Umm give the software called "TestDisk" a try. It once helped me to find lost partions and fix my MBR.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
your 1st & biggest mistake was to use windows inbuilt partition manager(assuming this is what you meant).just for future reference if you use windows 7 inbuilt partition manager/disk management to modify C drive size it will automatically convert your entire disk to dynamic & then your disk will be as good as nothing to any windows 7 disk since it can not install on a dynamic disk meaning no reinstall/repairs possible.

you can try this:
Free Partition Recovery Wizard - recover lost partitions after repartitioned hard drive with EaseUS Partition Master.
there are reports of problems with win 8 by some users but as far as i know it is the best such tool for windows 7 & the only free one available which can convert dynamic to basic disk with nice gui & easy to understand for average user(experts can use hexadecimal editing of starting sectors of hard disk to do the same but complex & very risky if attempted by a novice).i recommended this to at least 2 users here who solved their dynamic disk problem using it.in your case i don't see how situation can be any more worse so install it within win 8 & try recovery using above link.

OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
your 1st & biggest mistake was to use windows inbuilt partition manager(assuming this is what you meant).just for future reference if you use windows 7 inbuilt partition manager/disk management to modify C drive size it will automatically convert your entire disk to dynamic & then your disk will be as good as nothing to any windows 7 disk since it can not install on a dynamic disk meaning no reinstall/repairs possible.

you can try this:
Free Partition Recovery Wizard - recover lost partitions after repartitioned hard drive with EaseUS Partition Master.
there are reports of problems with win 8 by some users but as far as i know it is the best such tool for windows 7 & the only free one available which can convert dynamic to basic disk with nice gui & easy to understand for average user(experts can use hexadecimal editing of starting sectors of hard disk to do the same but complex & very risky if attempted by a novice).i recommended this to at least 2 users here who solved their dynamic disk problem using it.in your case i don't see how situation can be any more worse so install it within win 8 & try recovery using above link.

Well, I need to update you on my situation, it got worse.:-( The Win 8 partition is screwed up as well(Read, I deleted that partition and Banging my head on wall simultanously ),and win8 disk wont let me format that partition neither install Windows 8 again on that partition.

I am thinking that I should use a Format tool that can create a bootable disk and and UI would be pretty basic. Can anyone suggest any tool that is sufficient to clean up the mess??

It seems like even Windows XP formatting options were better than Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well.Should there be any better chance? I am open to all options.

P.S:Is my post is so long that it is confusing everyone here??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
most likely your disk got converted to dynamic when you used win 7/8 inbuilt disk management(see my above post).if data is not important my suggestion is start from scratch by completely formatting entire hard disk using xp pro cd(can be found very easily,just ask around).if you are planning on recovering partition then get ready for a long & tedious way with no guarantee of 100% recovery.

OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
Are you able to boot in windows or not ??
Nope, Buddy :(

most likely your disk got converted to dynamic when you used win 7/8 inbuilt disk management(see my above post).if data is not important my suggestion is start from scratch by completely formatting entire hard disk using xp pro cd(can be found very easily,just ask around).if you are planning on recovering partition then get ready for a long & tedious way with no guarantee of 100% recovery.

See, I am not that eager to recover my C: and D: but eager to keep E: which seems to be intact as of now. and about XP pro cd , yes , that disc is in my arsenal.
But, I am NOT sure whether it can format those lost partitions from the scratch or not. The confusion is because when I tried to format with Win8 disk, C: and D:(or their space) did not appear on the screen. It seemed like they vanished.

That is why I am asking XP Pro disk will be sufficient or not?

Umm give the software called "TestDisk" a try. It once helped me to find lost partions and fix my MBR.

Thanks for replying.:)Can it prepare a bootable disk?See, installation is not an option available to me now.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
use gparted live cd & post a screenshot of your partition layout(can use mobile because saving screenshot to usb drive is complicated & require typing multiple commands).
GParted -- Download

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
You can try Partition Wizard Boot CD7. It is a 43MB download. Burn it to a CD or to a pendrive using ultraiso and boot.

OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
#Using XP pro cd is not that good idea. After booting from XP Pro, it loads necessary set up files , then suddenly shows BSOD and I am forced to restart.

#Then, I thought that I should try Ubuntu 10.10 disk that i Had. I first chose Install Ubuntu hoping that would let me see partitions and let me format as well. But when in partition selection windows it showed my hard disk as a whole, NOT separate partitions.

#So, I went into Ubuntu Live Session , and opened file browser. Guess what ? It is showing my previous E: (intact) and D: (which I thought was damaged due to partition magic fiasco ).
But it was failing to show me my previous windows 7 portion and later Windows 8 partition too.
Screenshot is given here
Screenshot.jpg
The disk labelled as Forgiveness is E:240GB and HolyLord is D: 207GB

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Well, I need to update you on my situation, it got worse.:-( The Win 8 partition is screwed up as well(Read, I deleted that partition and Banging my head on wall simultanously ),and win8 disk wont let me format that partition neither install Windows 8 again on that partition.

I am thinking that I should use a Format tool that can create a bootable disk and and UI would be pretty basic. Can anyone suggest any tool that is sufficient to clean up the mess??

It seems like even Windows XP formatting options were better than Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well.Should there be any better chance? I am open to all options.

P.S:Is my post is so long that it is confusing everyone here??

Downoad gparted live iso burn it to disk. boot from cd try to fix MBR or partition table from there.I think you have made partition table corrupt.

OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
Downoad gparted live iso burn it to disk. boot from cd try to fix MBR or partition table from there.I think you have made partition table corrupt.
Is it possible for you to suggest a Linux Ubuntu Application? So that I can install the application for one time and look into MBR and file partitions. May be I can post a screenshot of that here.

Minion

Conversation Architect
If all partition are formated with FAT file system you can try booting from linux live CD backup your data to external HDD or USB Drive if they are formated With NTFS you can't access those partion using linux live CD.
Linux doesn't supports NTFS.

for live CD
you can use ubuntu.

then download gparted live burn it to CD boot from it.
Don't be panic its a linux based advance tool try to find fix partion table.
tell me if it solves your problem.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^gparted supports ntfs system & so does linux with necessary component installed(now-a-days probably built-in in popular distros like ubuntu).

@Amithansda,though there are ways to recover my suggestion is keep it simple & just copy the data you need to another hdd temporarily using live cd & then full format your entire hdd & begin afresh.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
It is now an urban myth that Linux does not support NTFS.
IT DOES. Do not worry.

You could try the testdisk suggestion given above. Try to install it in a Live Ubuntu session and have a go.
It is a command line utility but good. Read up before experimenting.

GParted disk itself may have this utility but I am not very sure.

-----

Search the internet using "testdisk gparted" as the search string and go through at least 10 links. A good picture will emerge.

Here is one How to Recover Partition Table using Test Disk – Using GParted live disc - GeexHQ

OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
If all partition are formated with FAT file system you can try booting from linux live CD backup your data to external HDD or USB Drive if they are formated With NTFS you can't access those partion using linux live CD.
Linux doesn't supports NTFS.

for live CD
you can use ubuntu.

then download gparted live burn it to CD boot from it.
Don't be panic its a linux based advance tool try to find fix partion table.
tell me if it solves your problem.

Yes , it shows NTFS partitions. But, it can not show messed partitions I think.

OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
use gparted live cd & post a screenshot of your partition layout(can use mobile because saving screenshot to usb drive is complicated & require typing multiple commands).
GParted -- Download

Well, this is my
screenshot
fdiskl.jpg

and this is GParted Screenshot.GPartedx.jpg

You seen there are some discrepancies between both partition information.
May be Testdisk does not come along with gParted in the Ubuntu10.10 live cd

Last edited:
OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman

Here are my TestDisk screenshots

Testdisk1.jpg
testdisk2.png

*Largest portion in the image above was Windows 7 drive...which has files intact but partition table corrupted.Out of Holylord and Forgiveness label..Windows 8 installation does not show Holylord. But ubuntu Live session shows both. 3rd entry in that list 42Gb partition conatined Win8 but deleted the partition.

* I want to format 42GB so that I can install windows there.
* Fix Holylord labeled disk fixed so that is shows up in windows.
* I also want to recover some data from the largest portion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom