Help for a new Desk Top

abraham

Broken In
Hi,

Am a social worker from Mumbai and am planning to get a new desktop and hence this posting. A total illiterate as far as computer hardware is concerned, I have in the past one month, did a lot of reading especially in this forum and in forums like Anand Tech, Tech Radar and bestcovery as a result of which I now understand things. My gratitude to your members like Jaskanwar Singh, comp@ddict, saswat23, Cilus and a whole lot of others. Thank you guys !!

Coming to the issue, my current desktop (6 years old) configuration ( and please don’t laugh !!) is as follows:

Name Intel Pentium 4 506
Codename Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x4)
L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512 MBytes
Channels Single
Memory Frequency 133.3 MHz (1:1)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model D915GVWB (0x00000219 - 0x009D52B2)

Graphic APIs
Name Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Memory size 64 MB
Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

This suited my needs, to say 70-80%. The reason I am saying this is to give you an idea of my needs. However, of late, my computer is giving me problems – running very slow, constant blue screen and frequent rebooting. So I thought that this would be the best time to get a new desktop. My work is mostly in MS Office especially Powerpoint and Excel (handling huge population databases) and of late I have developed an interest in photography and so use Photoshop. My sons also share the same desktop and show an interest in medium gaming, which too I have to keep in mind.

After all the reading which I did, the specifications which I finalized (and the reasons) are as follows:

1. Intel Core i3-2100 – Longer life cycle because of possibility of upgrading in the future to i7 or even Ivybridge when prices drop. Moreover processors like Core2Duo also cost same or more, as i32100 and requires a new motherboard too
2. AS Rock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 – Possibility of upgrading to Ivybridge and PCI-E 3 GPU’s in the future. Despite a 2 year warranty, am getting one for Rs. 7000, which I think is a good buy.
3. Gskill Ripjaws X F3 2*4GB 1600 MHz, Dual Channel
4. Seagate or Western Digital 1TB SATA 7200rpm
5. LG / Samsung 22X SATA DVD Write with SATA Port
6. NZXT Gamma – could note that this is a dual rail cabinet which can in the future accommodate other add ons
7. Corsair GS600 – could note that this has good cooling if it is required in the future
8. Logitech Multimedia Keyboard + Mouse SET
9. Benq V2210 HD Black- has an HDMI port
10. Speaker-Creative Inspire 2.1 T3130
11. Windows 7 Home Premium-Currently am using an unofficial XP which is giving frequent problems and so I thought I would go with an official one for which frequent updates are available

What I would request this forum is

1. To critically evaluate the above specifications and offer criticisms and suggestions
2. To give me an idea of the how much it would cost me- going through all the posts here and in other websites, I have calculated the total price to be about Rs. 43,500 without labor. However when I called for quotes from various suppliers the quotes I am getting are all above Rs. 51,000. So I thought I would check with this forum first as to what would be the right cost.
3. Can I add the monitor and the speaker later, say after 1 -2 months ? Monitor and cabinet since this does not involve opening up the computer cabinet unlike RAM or HDD for which the cabinet needs to be opened. In the interim period, can I use my old CRT Samsung SynMaster793c ? The reason being, I can then avoid a complete down payment of Rs. 44,000 initially and spread out the expense.
4. Suggest me a good and reliable vendor in Mumbai. Unlike most of you I am not knowledgeable enough to do this myself.

Thank you for your patience in reading this rather long post.

Cheers !!:razz:

Am giving the mandatory thinkdigit questionnaire below:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: MS Office, Photoshop, Browsing, online movies /music, and casual gaming ( gaming more for my kids in say 1-2 years. Game of managing a household is challenging enough for me !!)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Rs 50,000(Strict including all peripherals, OS, and assembly charges)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Not immediately. But may require it in say 2 years time.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 x64

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1 TB.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: 19/22" full HD monitor with HDMI port (if comes under budget).

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 2

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Never

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: ASAP

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes if possible. By future proof what I mean is that I do not mind spending a small amount once in a year to add say a GPU or upgrade a processor. I do not mean getting cutting edge stuff at any cost with the intention of “ future proofing “ it. So a better term that suits me would be future “upgradeability “

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in
this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Do not immediately need a sound card , GPU. Also was wondering whether
I could delay buying the monitor and speaker for a few month and using my
old bulky CRT monitor for the interim

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from
other city/states?
A: Mumbai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Would appreciate it if one of the members connect me to a reliable vendor
in Mumbai who could assemble the same for me at the right price

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Component | Make | Price Processor |AMD A6-3500|4650
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2H|4500
RAM |G-skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL|1665
Graphic Card |MSI R6790-2PM2D1GD5|8700
HDD | Seagate 1 TB |5200
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
PSU |FSP Saga II 500W|2200
Case |Zebronics Bijli(w/o psu)|1200
Monitor |Benq G2222HDL|7600
Keyboard & Mouse |Logitech MK200|700
UPS |Intex 1KVA|1800
Speakers |Altec Lansing BXR1221|1000
| Total |38987

This leaves a lot of budget buying a genuine copy of Windows 7. The monitor mentioned is a 22" LED.
This PC has a good enough Integrated Graphics Port(IGP) to handle basic games and HD movies. The power supply should be able to handle a GPU in future if required.
A lot of budget will be left, so you can also get it assembled by a professional if required :)

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Thanks a lot techfreak for your fast reply. Hope you will not feel bad if I make a few queries. Since my knowledge is far inferior to yours on this subject, please excuse if my comments seem stupid or out of place.

Please note that the specifications which I had put up were keeping two factors in mind- my current performance needs and ease/ economy of gradual future upgrades ( do not mind spending a few thousand Rupees in a couple of years to meet any increased performance needs.

1. AMD A6-3500 + Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2H ( Rs. 9150)- while this appears to meet my current performance needs what kind of upgrade options would it permit. My choice of i3 2100 ( approx Rs. 6000)+ AS Rock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 ( Rs. 7000 as informed by Venus Trading- who are distributors for AS Rock) would permit me a future upgrade of CPU from the i3 to i5/i7 or Ivy Bridge in the future w/o changing the motherboard. Furthermore, reviews shows that performance wise i3 2100 is better that all the current AMD options. So the question - are the benefits/advantages worth the Rs. Rs. 3850 premium ?

2. Benq G2222HDL (Rs.7600)- This model does not have an HDMI port. The reason why I decided on the Benq V2210 was that it offers an HDMI port which I can connect to my DVD. Moreover I read that HDMI is backwardly compatible ( is that the right expression:|!!) with DVI but not vice versa. So Question - Is this advantage worth the premium of Rs. 2000 or so ?

3. Zebronics Bijli(w/o psu) Rs. 1200 - Does this allow a possible future addition of a hd69xx series GPU and 120mm cooler ? I have read that though the NZXT Gamma looks ugly it has greater surface area and also greater airflow. Question : Is this worth a premium of Rs. 900

4. PSU - Will undergo a change depending on your comments and the CPU and motherboard selected

5. All the other compnents suggested seem great and there are no doubts there.

Trust you will not feel bad with these comments.

Regards,

Abraham

Component Make Price Processor Intel Core i5 2400 11150
Motherboard Intel DH67CL B3 5750
RAM G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1) 1193
Graphic Card SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB 9000
HDD WDC 250GB Blue WD2500AAKX 3766
DVD Writer ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD 1150
PSU Corsair GS600 4000
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite 2300
Monitor Benq G2222HDL 7600
Keyboard & Mouse Logitech MK200 700
UPS APC 800VA 2800
Speakers Logitech Z313 1680
Total 51539

1.The processor I mentioned is future proof according to your needs for atleast the next 1.5-2 years.

2.The motherboard you are asking for i.e Z68 is for overclocking enthusiasts, so if you're not much into that you can go for the H67 I suggested or even a P67 if you want to overclock. Bear in mind you will need a K series processor with unlocked multiplier to overclock.

3.The case which I suggested will accommodate a card of any size, well it may be hard for 79xx but 69xx for sure.

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Thanks ArjunKiller for your help. Though alittle above my budget, since with Windows & and the assembling charges, the total will hit Rs.60,000. Nevertheless performance wise it will way exceed my requirement.

What about upgrade option. I am not so much worried about future proof. I can spend a few thousand rupees every 2-3 years to upgrade a CPU to a higher performance one.

In an earlier post, RiGOD has suggested the following:

CPU Intel Core i3-2100 6300
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-M 8170

Don't you feel that this ( or even an AS Rock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 -Rs. 7000) would facilitate an economical upgrade say in 2-3 years to an i7 ( hopefully prices for i7 b then would be sub Rs.10,000) abd further to this in the next 2-3 years ( an upgrade from i7 to say an Ivy Bridge the prices of which would by that time go down) without th need to change motherboard. Barring DOA or other unpleasant events a motherboard could at least theoretically last for 8-10 years, right.

Is my logic correct and if not please do correct me.

Thanks a lot

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Hi everyone,

Finally, I think I have narrowed down the search for a desktop. A MSW guy like me who did not know the ABC of computer hardware till a month back am now at least comfortable with terms used. Just shows how a great forum like think digit with experienced contributors can help " dummies " like me, provided one reads. I have read almost all the posts in this forum and have finally come about this configuration. Please feel free to " tear it down " if you feel that I have gone wrong somewhere. More than getting the ideal PC configuration, it was the learning that was fun.

The cofiguration I have narrowed down is as follows:

Cost
i32100 6355
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H-USB3 3360
Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 1600 MHz, 4GB *2 3200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD 5614
Asus DRW-24B3ST Internal Optical Drive (Black) 1075
NZXT Gamma 2600
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU 4000
Logitech MK200 735
ViewSonic VX2253mh-LED 21.5-inch 8301
Altec Lansing BXR1221 1050
Windows 7 Home Premium 7361
Total 43651

I am sure that there is room for further improvement and shall be grateful if you could help me with the same- both the component selected and the cost.

Thanks a lot.

Abraham

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@abraham Well the rig you posted is fine. But rather than getting a costlier Viewsonic get the Bezq G2222HDL @7.6k
Also the rig you made doesn't have a good graphic card hence would recommend you to get some card like this - Flipkart: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card: Graphics Card

Should be mpre than enough when your children start playing games :p

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Originally posted by abraham
The cofiguration I have narrowed down is as follows:

Cost
i32100 6355
Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 1600 MHz, 4GB *2 3200
NZXT Gamma 2600
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU 4000
Logitech MK200 735
ViewSonic VX2253mh-LED 21.5-inch 8301
Windows 7 Home Premium 7361
Total 43651

No point of going for 1600MHz ram on a h61 or h67 motherboard as they dont support it.Get G.Skill 4GBX2 DDR3 at 2.3k.

You can go for Dell ST2220L for 8.3k.It has got a hdmi port as per your requirement or else go for benq G2222HDL @7.6k.

For cabinet you can check out corsair carbide 400r at 5k which is a very good cabinet.It has got 2 front usb3.0 ports and is a much better option for future upgrades.
For graphics card,you can add a radeon hd6670 gddr5 for 5.5k
Windows 7 Home Premium is available for 6.36k at flipkart.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
prices of 1tb hdd & win 7 are on a bit higher side unless there is a universal price rise in last few days.these prices are more similar to online prices which are always higher than in major markets like nehru place,delhi & lamington road,mumbai.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
600 W PSU for a Onboard IGP Config is overkill.

You going to buy any gfx in future? If no then Buy FSP 350W and save bucks.

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Hi,

Thanks a ton guys for your quick comments. Am off to buy the components this week itself.

Here's how the configuration looks like after your feedback:

Cost
i32100 6355
G.Skill F3-10600CL9S-1333MHz 4GB*2 2300
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR3
Graphics Card 5000
Corsair Carbide 5000
FSP SAGA II 500 500W Power Supply 2182
Logitech MK200 735
Dell ST2220L 21.5 LED 7500
Windows 7 Home Premium 6364
Total 46535

thetechfreak - have included the graphic card u suggested. Thanks a lot :lol:

vkl - U r right. Since the board does not support oc no point in 1600 MHz. Changed to 1333 MHz as suggested. See I am learning fast :-D !! Changed the monitor to Dell ST2220 ( some reviews showed this as not having HDMI but the Dell website says that it does). Also changed the cabinet to Corsair Carbide and the cost of Windows 7 as per flipkart. Thanks :lol:

whitestar_999 - U r absolutely right. All the prices are based on online figures. Have to find out a good shop in Lamington Road. Any suggestions on this ???. Thanks alot for the remarks.

Tech_Wiz - The reason I selected a Corsair 600W PSU was to take care of any future upgrades- like an Ivy Bridge, more powerful Graphics Card, etc. Any way I have changed it to FSP Saga II 500 W. Do you think that this will suffice for the future too ?? . Thanks a ton for ur comments.

Request ur help on the following:

1. Confirmation that this set up can be upgraded if required 4-5 years down the line to an Ivy Bridge or better sockket 1115 CPU

2. A good shop in Lamingtom Road where I can buy all the above in one go

3. LAstly require your advise on whether I should buy the official Windows 7 or hold on a few months and buy Windows 8 ( in the interim period use the :twisted::twisted::twisted: version of Windows 7.

Once again guys, thanks a ton...all of you are solid gold !!

Regards,

Abraham

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/129698-shops-lamington-road-where-buy-frm.html
do visit 4-5 shops at least to get general idea of prices.in my opinion paying a premium of ~100-200 is worth it at known & reputable shops like primeabgb etc.also GS600 is better option compared to saga 500W both in terms of quality as well as future upgrades.after 4-5 years 8 cores will be the basic setup & ivy bridge/4cores will be long gone from mainstream.if you can afford get windows 7 premium for ~6000 & upgrade later to windows 8 or not.after all it is not certain how windows 8 will work with games.initially when vista was launched many people stick with xp because of poor gaming performance on vista.

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Thanks whitestar_999- for the list of shops and the advise on the PSU and Windows 7. Plan to call up 7-8 shops and fax/ send them my list for a quote. Hopefully I will get it and therafterl go to 2-3 of the better ones and finalise. Once again thanks !! Appreciate your help.

SAM- Thanks for the advice on the PSU. There are 2 Corsair CX430 W listed. See this link Compare Cases and Power Supplies. Are they the same and if not, which one do I select. Appreciate your help ...thanks a lot.

BTW just wanted to ask whether the integrated graphichs card will suffice for the time being ( does the h61 mobo selected, support IGP ? )and then maybe later ( 2-3 months) get the GPU (Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card) recommended by the thetechfreak. Just a question of budget. If it is something essential will bite the bullet and buy it now.

Once again , thank you guys. Appreciate all the help, guidance and most important the learning process !!

Regards,

Abraham

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
both are same. remember that the new one have V2 suffix. And comes in a brown box. Earlier one (simply Corsair CX430W) used to come in a white box with stickers.

Yes H61 will support the IGP but not the Graphics turbo (increase processor's graphics clock) which doesn't matter. Intel's HD graphics will perform more or less equally at different clock. In case of GPU, try getting the GDDR5 version of HD6670. as GDDR3 as well as GDDR5 cost almost same. difference being around 200-300 at max.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for normal day-to-day usage core i graphics is more than enough.it can even handle many older games at low resolutions & settings.however in my opinion getting something like HD6670 GDDR5 version is worth it.it reduces the load on processor & also offers more flexibility & power when using multimedia applications.

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Thanks whitestar_999. Appreciate your advise and really obliged to all of you guys. Am going to Lamington Road in the afternoon.:-D

Top Bottom