[HELP] Choosing External OR Internal Hard Drive.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
Hello,
my first priority is to secure data and i don't want one of those days when i wake up and data has disappeared. :D
hard drive is for storing/backup purely for After Effects Projects mostly Video Files large video files.

so should i choose Internal Drive for that or External drives are fine.
i also have to travel with this drive pc to pc so need portability.
and i am not sure what i want );

i need hard drive to store this video files thats all with portability so i can access these data through PC via USB or Normal SATA/IDE Cable.

also 1TB WD or Seagate i more to seagate side but ... WD is what everyone suggest.
Budget Under 4k prefer but can go till 4.5k

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Get a caviar black 1tb. It is slightly above your budget but one of the most reliable drives in it's class.

Otherwise get a caviar red. That said, today's caviar greens are pretty reliable but also cheap. I would avoid seagate's consumer offerings.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all understand that hdd is a delicate component(both physically & electronically) so if you don't take certain precautions no matter which hdd you buy it will fail.move hdd as less as possible & when traveling with it i strongly suggest wrapping it in news paper & place it between 2 soft surfaces like clothes in usual suitcase like laptop bag.i prefer internal hdd over external hdd when it comes to reliability because like i said beside physical delicacy there is also electronic delicacy & i prefer power mechanism of psu & mobo over simple usb port.

OP
TheHumanBot

TheHumanBot

Padawan
^ thats what i thought and started this thread. now i will buy internal one but 1 more question is what about transfer rate ?
i have to use SATA to USB Cable. here is => USB 2.0 to SATA / IDE Cable Adaptor new box for 2.5" /3.5" HDD & CD / DVD Writer | eBay

WD green is good?

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
^ thats what i thought and started this thread. now i will buy internal one but 1 more question is what about transfer rate ?
i have to use SATA to USB Cable. here is => USB 2.0 to SATA / IDE Cable Adaptor new box for 2.5" /3.5" HDD & CD / DVD Writer | eBay

WD green is good?

The latest WD greens are good, but they are nowhere near as reliable as blacks, which are orders of magnitude higher in reliability than greens. If you can afford it, a Black is much more VFM than a green for your needs. Also, get a USB 3.0 to SATA adaptor, not a USB 2.0 one.

Whatever you do, do not get seagate's consumer offerings, especially when WD greens are cheaper nowadays.

OP
TheHumanBot

TheHumanBot

Padawan
got it so i will try to get the black or green one. and sata 3.0 cable + case for hdd. Thanks everyone :D
green is better then blue ?
Green: 4148 Blue: 4123
just asking green is final :D

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
got it so i will try to get the black or green one. and sata 3.0 cable + case for hdd. Thanks everyone :D
green is better then blue ?
Green: 4148 Blue: 4123
just asking green is final :D

Blue is better and more reliable than green. It's a lot like the odd duck sandwiched between two favourites.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
why are you even buying sata to usb cable/case if you are getting an internal hdd?the whole point of getting 3.5" internal hdd is that you plug it inside cabinet because otherwise they require external power adapter which is even worse than usb port providing power to 2.5" external hdd which don't need external power adapter.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
why are you even buying sata to usb cable/case if you are getting an internal hdd?the whole point of getting 3.5" internal hdd is that you plug it inside cabinet because otherwise they require external power adapter which is even worse than usb port providing power to 2.5" external hdd which don't need external power adapter.

He could get an HDD cage.

OP
TheHumanBot

TheHumanBot

Padawan
External = USB Drive data is not safe. anytime drive might stop getting detected on windows. data will disappear. currupt the drive and keep asking to Format.

Internal = safe data thats is all :D slow transfer rate, will need extra adapter as power supply.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
External = USB Drive data is not safe. anytime drive might stop getting detected on windows. data will disappear. currupt the drive and keep asking to Format.

Internal = safe data thats is all :D slow transfer rate, will need extra adapter as power supply.

U wot m8? :?

External HDD is identical to internal ones. All they have is a shroud covering them. They use the same kind of converters you're looking at.

In the right interface the performance is also similar.

OP
TheHumanBot

TheHumanBot

Padawan
on monday i was going to Mumbai to buy HDD and decided that i will buy it from online tomorrow and today i was placing order and flipkart said " seller can not deliver this to your area" well played flipkart well played.

i also bought this :
Code:
*www.flipkart.com/cubetek-hd-media-player/p/itmdgwfmsgz3de3z?pid=SELDGZDDMHSHZWFF

and i 'm assuming that the WD Blue 1TB internal Drive connected via Adapter Sata to USB will work on this box :D

Top Bottom