HELP: Building a new website. Some queries related to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I am planning to start a new website. My old website (theitkgroup.net) died three months ago because my Free Host was not ready to host my site for more time. The domain might work, but will redirect to mihalism.com (my free host).

Now, my own PC is a mini-Server. I am going to use to for my website.

Query #1:

What is the topic on which i should start a site ?

Query #2:

Which CMS should I use ? Or i should build my own ?

Query #3:

What are the minimum MUST features of a CMS ?

Thats all is in my mind for now. I will post more when i get it to my mind. :)

Please answer my 3 Queries above. :)

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
crazy yar :lol:
how do we decide on "What is the topic on which i should start a site ?"
Thats personally on you!!
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
here u get the minimum must feature of a CMS..
What i can say is based on the type of site,decide on CMS!

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
the.kaushik said:
crazy yar :lol:
how do we decide on "What is the topic on which i should start a site ?"
Thats personally on you!!
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
here u get the minimum must feature of a CMS..
What i can say is based on the type of site,decide on CMS!
Dude, that link is for a different type of CMS. i.e. Offices. I need for a site. Another link there ?

and dude, i want a topic which will give me a lotta traffic.

How about OSS, Linux, PHP, MySQL, etc ?

slugger

Banned
The Unknown said:
Dude, that link is for a different type of CMS. i.e. Offices.
no d00d d link given gives a general overview of d concept of CMS including Web content management system (something dat is clearly mentioned in d page d link above wud have opened)

heres a List of content management systems
d ones developed on d PHP platform are basically ment for web-based applications

The Unknown said:
Query #1:

d00d dis query is seriously LAME

but as u said u want ur site to generate d maximum traffic, it is only possible if ur site is filled with lots and lots of NAKED WOMEN with lots and lots of exclusive mmses first uploded on ur site

on a more serious note, traffic to ur site would be generated on d basis of only 1 thing - CONTENT QUALITY

it does not matter wat ur subject is, but as long as u r able to provide quality content on that subject u will be able to attract the maximum traffic to ur site

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
slugger said:
but as u said u want ur site to generate d maximum traffic, it is only possible if ur site is filled with lots and lots of NAKED WOMEN with lots and lots of exclusive mmses first uploded on ur site

:lol: LMAO ROFL :lol:

anand1

In the zone
Site Rule...
First of all choose a hosting with PHP and MySql supporting tools.Better to have CPanel installed on it for ur account access.
Secondly go for a CMS i used JOOMLA 1.0.13 and its simple and very powerful tool to manage ur content.
Decide first what ur going to do. Trffic do not comes in one day.
Ur Content should be unique, Updated and healthy. u have to sit back making content like watchdog for atleast 3 or 4 months before u can think of any traffic or so.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
anand1 said:
Site Rule...
First of all choose a hosting with PHP and MySql supporting tools.Better to have CPanel installed on it for ur account access.
Secondly go for a CMS i used JOOMLA 1.0.13 and its simple and very powerful tool to manage ur content.
Decide first what ur going to do. Trffic do not comes in one day.
Ur Content should be unique, Updated and healthy. u have to sit back making content like watchdog for atleast 3 or 4 months before u can think of any traffic or so.
I don't need a PHP/mySQL host as my own PC is Server for PHP, MySQL, Python, Perl. :p :p :p

OOPS!!

FORGET TO MENTION THE "EXCEPT s**" TOPIC STRING.

My Reformed Sentence:

I need a topic which will give me lot of traffic. (Topic exclude s** )

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Thats not a lot :p

You can try News of any kind, Song Lyrics DB, Warez. Wait, warez is allowed by you? Add that to the excluded list too then :p

Seriously man, think and try on your own :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
The Unknown said:
Now, my own PC is a mini-Server. I am going to use to for my website.
If you are serious about your website....than forget your own mini server...and buy a good hosting.
Query #1:

Continue your old topics

Query #2:

Which CMS should I use ? Or i should build my own ?
I prefer Drupal.......but it depend on you.If you have any experience with any CMS , than it is better to continue with that.

creating new CMS just for own website is not a great idea.If you want to create CMS than go ahead..infact you can have your complete website about your CMS development.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
ravi_9793 said:
If you are serious about your website....than forget your own mini server...and buy a good hosting.

Continue your old topics

I prefer Drupal.......but it depend on you.If you have any experience with any CMS , than it is better to continue with that.

creating new CMS just for own website is not a great idea.If you want to create CMS than go ahead..infact you can have your complete website about your CMS development.

What i meant by a mini-Server was that it can serve at least 100 people at a time and store content of at least 5-6 websites. :) Since i am in 10th, i don't get enough time to devote to develop a CMS. So for now, i will use Joomla! I will develop my CMS when my board exam finishes (around March).

QwertyManiac said:
You can try News of any kind, Song Lyrics DB, Warez. Wait, warez is allowed by you? Add that to the excluded list too then

Thanks.

s**, warez, everything illegal is excluded from my topic list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom