[Help a Noob] Will this router work ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
We have a single internet connection at our home here and have that DSL modem similar the ones provided by MTNL folks. Now me and my roomie both want to access this single net connection on our laptops using Wifi. I am quiet a noob when it comes to wifi and its routers. So went to a nearby supermarket and saw one of these (it was the cheapest one available, dlink was costly). I have attached the pic of this router. Its is of Belkin brand. Will this solve our purpose ?

I dont require a feature rich router only that we should be able to use the internet wirelessly and most importantly the speed should not be affected.

We are suppose to have a 2Mbps connection at our place. Will this wifi thing affect the speed ??

How do i setup this thing to work with our laptops? I am used to plugging in the LAN cable always and this (wifi) is a first for me.

How do i ensure that my wifi network is not being used by anyone else? I mean how do we make this n/w secure ?

Lastly if this router cannot do the job what other options do i have ? Suggest a cheap one.

PS: My laptop is a Toshiba Portege M500 and my roomie's is Dell XPS

PS: This is the router i am talking about

*catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493

acewin

Point Blanc
belkin is a reputed company, you do not need to worry.
But these days BSNL wifi ruter are coming in 1200 or 1600 bucks you can ask them too for it.
You are supposed to have 2MBps, mate be sure of which connection you have. Setting up any router is quiet simple. For what cost you are getting it.

To configure the router you need a LAN cable once configured you can use the wi-fi and connect to the router without any LAN cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom