Help a N0oB - Multimedia Rig

cygnus

Broken In
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new rig by the end of this month and would love to hear your opinions.

1. What is your MAX budget? ->65000-70000

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? ->yes

3. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that) -> Maya, Photoshop, After Effects, Unreal Development Kit, HD Movies, Games and Multitasking ( Having a broswer, music player, maya, photoshop , illustrator all open at the same time without noticeable decrease in performance for example).

4. Planning to overclock? -> Yes - i'm keen on trying it out

5. Which OS are you planning to use? -> Windows 7 64 bit and Mac OS if it can install it somehow? Anyone help me out with this? :D

6. How much hard drive space is needed? -> 500gb-1tb

7. What resolution will the screen run at? -> 1920*1080

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest) -> Between 6 to 6.5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler? -> Nope...never built one before ... will probably assemble at the shop

10. When are you planning to buy the system?-> Within a few days

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations? -> Well, if I can upgrade the CPU,RAM after 3 years without burning a big hole in my pocket ... i;d say "YES" to this.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? -> Speakers? - will keep my old 2.1's

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states? -> Hyderabad - would prefer buying from Hyd only.

Looking forward to hearing frm you all :)

Regards and Respect!

Cygnus

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Overclocking. gaming. Multitasking. Core i7 rocks. problem is your budget. a bit less to include an i7. so, get AMD.

Processor: Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz B.E. @ 13.9k
Motherboard: get any MSI/Gigabyte/Biostar/AsRock board based on 890FX or 890GX: 7-9k
Ram: Corsair 4GB Kit 1600Mhz @ 6.6k
Hard Disk: 2 X Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ 4k
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 15.8k
Optical Drives: LG GH22NS50 @ 1.1k
PSU: Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k or Cooler Master GX-550W @ 4.4k.
Cabinet: NZXT M59 @ 3.8k
Monitor: Dell ST2210 21.5" FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 8.9k
Keyboard Mouse: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 + Logitech MX518 Laser @ 2.5k

total: 68-70k. just perfect for your needs :razz:

ajai5777

Youngling
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new rig by the end of this month and would love to hear your opinions.

1. What is your MAX budget? ->65000-70000

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? ->yes

3. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that) -> Maya, Photoshop, After Effects, Unreal Development Kit, HD Movies, Games and Multitasking ( Having a broswer, music player, maya, photoshop , illustrator all open at the same time without noticeable decrease in performance for example).

4. Planning to overclock? -> Yes - i'm keen on trying it out

5. Which OS are you planning to use? -> Windows 7 64 bit and Mac OS if it can install it somehow? Anyone help me out with this? :D

6. How much hard drive space is needed? -> 500gb-1tb

7. What resolution will the screen run at? -> 1920*1080

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest) -> Between 6 to 6.5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler? -> Nope...never built one before ... will probably assemble at the shop

10. When are you planning to buy the system?-> Within a few days

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations? -> Well, if I can upgrade the CPU,RAM after 3 years without burning a big hole in my pocket ... i;d say "YES" to this.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? -> Speakers? - will keep my old 2.1's

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states? -> Hyderabad - would prefer buying from Hyd only.

Looking forward to hearing frm you all :)

Regards and Respect!

Cygnus

AMD phenom II X6 1055 @ 9.5k
MSI 890GXM G65 @ 7.5k
Transcend 4GB DDR3 1333 @ 5.6k
WD Caviar Blue 1TB @ 4k
Sapphire HD 5850 @ 15.5k
Corsair vx 550W @ 4.5k
Cooler Master Gladiator @ 3.2k
Dell S2209W LCD Monitor @ 8.4k
Sony DVD RW 22x @1.2k
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 @1.7k
APC Back - UPS BR 1100Y-IN @ 5.5k

Total 66.6k

You can even add a Blu Ray Rom Drive
Sony BDU-X10S @ 5.2k

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

@Sam
I didnt see your post:)
If he can over clock, better is 1055 also note price difference.
Corsair 4GB 1600 kit is 7.6k its latency is 9-9-9-24.For a 7-7-7-20 its 15k
You missed UPS :shock: rig demands atleast 1kva UPS

OP
C

cygnus

Broken In
Thanks Sam and Ajai for your suggestions. :)

To be honest, I have never overclocked a cpu before, but have looked at quite a few videos on youtube , which make it look easy - so I wouldn't mind trying my hands at it.

So I think i'd prefer taking the black edition cpu itself since it would be easier to overclock.

The other thing is , whether I can cut down on the graphic card? Would you recommend the HD 5770 which is cheaper?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AMD phenom II X6 1055 @ 9.5k
MSI 890GXM G65 @ 7.5k
Transcend 4GB DDR3 1333 @ 5.6k
WD Caviar Blue 1TB @ 4k
Sapphire HD 5850 @ 15.5k
Corsair vx 550W @ 4.5k
Cooler Master Gladiator @ 3.2k
Dell S2209W LCD Monitor @ 8.4k
Sony DVD RW 22x @1.2k
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 @1.7k
APC Back - UPS BR 1100Y-IN @ 5.5k

Total 66.6k

You can even add a Blu Ray Rom Drive
Sony BDU-X10S @ 5.2k

why cooler Master Gladiator? he can get a good looking USP 100 or NZXT M59 for little more.

@Sam
I didnt see your post:)
If he can over clock, better is 1055 also note price difference.
Corsair 4GB 1600 kit is 7.6k its latency is 9-9-9-24.For a 7-7-7-20 its 15k
You missed UPS :shock: rig demands atleast 1kva UPS

well, yes. if he OC, 1055T is pure VFM. he can easily reach 3.5Ghz-3.8Ghz on stock cooler, saving him money on buying a new OEM HSF, etc.

he didn't mentioned anything about UPS. so skipped :oops:

Thanks Sam and Ajai for your suggestions. :)

To be honest, I have never overclocked a cpu before, but have looked at quite a few videos on youtube , which make it look easy - so I wouldn't mind trying my hands at it.

So I think i'd prefer taking the black edition cpu itself since it would be easier to overclock.

The other thing is , whether I can cut down on the graphic card? Would you recommend the HD 5770 which is cheaper?

get 1055T proccy. its good at OC. also 6 cores suites your needs. & get a good board is necessary for OC. Biostar boards are best when it comes to OC. so may give a thought. also cheap.

black edition got a unlocked multiplier. nothing like it'll OC more. yes it'll help, but isn't fully worth the money. get 1055. its far better. & trust me, OC is real fun.

HD5770 is much slower than HD5850. so get what ajai has suggested. will nicely fit in your budget & is also fully balanced. only thing i'll recommend different is motherboard. search & get motherboard based on AMD 870X. its cheaper & still good at OC. just no Crossfire.

ajai5777

Youngling
Then the best option would be the first recommended MSI 890GXM G65.As it has got
crossfire mode x8-x8

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Then the best option would be the first recommended MSI 890GXM G65.As it has got
crossfire mode x8-x8

it fully depends on OP. if he sure he'll go for Crossfire he better with MSI. else Asus. moreover Crossfire isn't for showoffs :smile: so depending on requirements, OP choose one. both are excellent OC at descent price.

ajai5777

Youngling
Then

MSI 890GXM G65 @ 7.2k (If you plan to crossfire in future) recommended for future proof.

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 @ 6k No IGP,No crossfire at all with all other features.

OP
C

cygnus

Broken In
wow! Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys.

Going by ajai's words, i'm thinking of buying a 1055. But I have some other doubts:
If i am going to overclock the cpu , will i be needing a separate Heatsink fan for cooling the cpu?

The other thing i'm not quite sure of is whether I really need a crossfire setup. From what i've heard, maya and photoshop don't necessarily need a crossfire setup?
What say?

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Oh, sorry for sounding dumb, but whats an OP ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Going by ajai's words, i'm thinking of buying a 1055. But I have some other doubts:
If i am going to overclock the cpu , will i be needing a separate Heatsink fan for cooling the cpu?

The other thing i'm not quite sure of is whether I really need a crossfire setup. From what i've heard, maya and photoshop don't necessarily need a crossfire setup?
What say?

if you wish do a moderate OC, say 2.8Ghz ---> 3.3Ghz or so. default heatsink enough. though the 1055T can go past 3.5Ghz using stock heatsink. go for OEM HSF only if u want OC the proccy to ~3.8Ghz or more.

then you better off with a single card & a 870X based board or Biostar 890GX which doesn't offer any Crossfire.

ajai5777

Youngling

What say?

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Oh, sorry for sounding dumb, but whats an OP ?

For over clocking 1055 you dont need a separate cooler.But for going too much, you will have to buy one.

Actually Crossfire ensures future proof Graphics.If you plan to game in future, it'll be good.

Rendering cards and Gaming Cards are different.For serious rendering/animation, you will need one.But you cant game on it.

Finally.. OP is a Rum Named OPR (Old Port Rum) :toast:

Was kidding :rofl:

Its used to refer the Thread starter
OP = Original Poster

OP
C

cygnus

Broken In
Finally.. OP is a Rum Named OPR (Old Port Rum) :toast:

Was kidding :rofl:

Its used to refer the Thread starter
OP = Original Poster
heheh ... OP = Original poster ... got it :)

Moving on... Having taken your comments into consideration, this is what I have finalized at this point:

Processor - AMD x6 1055t - 9500
Motherboard - MSI 890 GXM G65 - 7500
RAM - CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz - 6600
HDD - WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB - 4000
Graphics Card - SAPPHIRE HD 5850 - 15500
PSU - CORSAIR VX550W - 4500
DVD Drive - SONY DVD RW - 1200
Keyboard n Mouse - LOGITECH CORDLESS DESKTOP - 1700
UPS - APC BR 1100Y-IN - 5500
Cabinet - NZXT M59 - 3900
which brings the total cost to INR 59900.

Now, I need to decide on the monitor. I am thinking of getting the Benq 2420HD priced at around 10.5k. What do you think?

And I also read about this mother board - ASUS m4A89GTD Pro. Would it be a better option against the above mentioned MSI board?

Thanks for all your help :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Moving on... Having taken your comments into consideration, this is what I have finalized at this point:

Processor - AMD x6 1055t - 9500
Motherboard - MSI 890 GXM G65 - 7500
RAM - CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz - 6600
HDD - WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB - 4000
Graphics Card - SAPPHIRE HD 5850 - 15500
PSU - CORSAIR VX550W - 4500
DVD Drive - SONY DVD RW - 1200
Keyboard n Mouse - LOGITECH CORDLESS DESKTOP - 1700
UPS - APC BR 1100Y-IN - 5500
Cabinet - NZXT M59 - 3900
which brings the total cost to INR 59900.

Now, I need to decide on the monitor. I am thinking of getting the Benq 2420HD priced at around 10.5k. What do you think?

And I also read about this mother board - ASUS m4A89GTD Pro. Would it be a better option against the above mentioned MSI board?

Thanks for all your help :)

nice choice about monitor. 22" or 24", your choice. Benq monitors are god & cheap.

about Asus board, i'll simply say is better stick to non-Asus products.

also for HD5850, try search cards with custom coolers, even if they cost 500 more but will extend life of card & is worth the money if u try OC.

ajai5777

Youngling

Its Price is 9.7k.Its worth if you can spend it.It has got x16-x16 crossfire.That means when you add another card in future, you will get the full juice of both the cards.For future proof its worth to spend the extra 2k.
what would be the performance of 2X 5850 in x16-x16 crossfire? :shock:
I cant even imagine it.

Nothing to say about brand.They are the market leaders.

OP
C

cygnus

Broken In
about Asus board, i'll simply say is better stick to non-Asus products.

also for HD5850, try search cards with custom coolers, even if they cost 500 more but will extend life of card & is worth the money if u try OC.

Hmm .. I'm wondering why you suggest staying away from Asus? Any particular reason? I'd like to know about it if you don't mind...

Yes, will look for the HD5850 with custom coolers as you said.

Will call up a few shops and let you guys know about the price they are offering here in Hyderabad.

Its Price is 9.7k.Its worth if you can spend it.
It has got x16-x16 crossfire.That means when you add another card in future, you will get the full juice of both the cards.For future proof its worth to spend the extra 2k.
I think I can strech my budget a little to include this board... seems good to me ... would like to know why Sam is against it though ... :?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Its Price is 9.7k.Its worth if you can spend it.It has got x16-x16 crossfire.That means when you add another card in future, you will get the full juice of both the cards.For future proof its worth to spend the extra 2k.
what would be the performance of 2X 5850 in x16-x16 crossfire? :shock:
I cant even imagine it.

its based on 790FX. AMD Flagship chipset. best when it comes to OC. graphics support. simply the best.

Nothing to say about brand.They are the market leaders.

i & many others have heard Asus quality dropping. not sure about 8 series but by the fall, 7 series motherboards were not good. many were facing bugs & all.

Hmm .. I'm wondering why you suggest staying away from Asus? Any particular reason? I'd like to know about it if you don't mind...

a dealer who is a member here, Thunder02.Dragon himself told me stay away from Asus when it comes to midrange & lowend motherboard. specially the Asus M4A785TD-* EVO series. maybe by now they have started giving out quality products again but they received numerous complain about their 785G based chipsets back in 2009 & starting 2010.

not only he, 2 members here brought the Asus M4A785TD-V EVO also faced some issues. well i not saying its bad, but their last gen midrange boards used to be buggy.

I think I can strech my budget a little to include this board... seems good to me ... would like to know why Sam is against it though ... :?

see buddy i not saying don't get Asus. but was saying their 2 785G boards, both were buggy. & reviews don't cover these parts. you'll never see review centers criticizing manufacturers for motherboard. also i think the 890FX falls in premium board section. go for it :-|

OP
C

cygnus

Broken In
see buddy i not saying don't get Asus. but was saying their 2 785G boards, both were buggy. & reviews don't cover these parts. you'll never see review centers criticizing manufacturers for motherboard. also i think the 890FX falls in premium board section. go for it :-|

Hmmm..okay..thanks for clearing that up :)

I'm almost final with my config , just need to call up a few places to find out the rates. Hopefully by next week i'll have a brand new rig :-D

OP
C

cygnus

Broken In
Hey guys i am enquiring abt the prices right now... Just want to know if the M59 is big enough to fit two graphic cards and a big heatsink?

Top Bottom