Heart Transplant for a P3 : PL 370 T

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys has any one used a socket adapter for using a Tulatine(1.4G) on a p3Copper Mine board ? I found on the net that such adaptors are available that enable us (p3 nontulatine users) to jump up into the Ghz range. One such adaptor is the PowerLeap PL370 T. If some one can help me please tell me where in India can one find such a product or what is the review of this product . With this adaptor i will be able to use my asus cusl2 mobo on a tulatine P3 1.4Ghz (presently running on a p3 866 OC to 906Mhz)
Source : *www.powerleap.com

Geforce

Journeyman
It sounds very intimidating at first but even if it is available the cost ins't justified. Why ? Well :

1) The cost of this adapter would be very high in India.

2) The cost of PIII tualatin 1.4 Ghz is very high and there are more than enough chances that you won't get this processor now. (This is because sales of this CPU never really took off as P4 was already introduced and every vendor pushed that)

3) It will only be PIII afterall, would not perform on par with P4, Athlon XP/64 processor of today.

The combined cost of 1) and 2) would be so high that you would be better off buying a new Motherboard and CPU alltogether.

Go for an atleast AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with nForce2 motherboard if not AMD Athlon 64.

Believe me mine was Celeron 950MHz (OC 1.1Ghz) with i815 motherboard, i was also considering to upgrade to P3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz without the socket adapter though, but did not seem the point after looking at the reviews and analysing the cost and availability in India (for the CPU).

Then I assembled AMD Athlon64 2800+ with MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nForce3 250Gb chipset) and 512MB DDR400 for myself and i don't regret it. In fact the system ROCKS NOW ABSOLUTELY ROCKS.

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I am getting a cpu (1.4) for 3000/- in bangalore. The thing is i have a asus cusl2 board with six pci slots has the following
sb live
nec USB 2
Adaptec SCSI adaptor 2x 20GB
NIC 10/100 x3
asus riva tnt 2 32mb
512 mb 133Mhz SD RAM
now my box is running gentoo and the ONLY upgrade i can think is the tulatine changing any other thing will want a new installation (as gentoo has been optimised for a pentium 3) of the os also upgrade to a p3 copermine 1GHz is some how not very tempting (cost again 3000). Please help me in case you know how to source this adaptor.

OP
P

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I had posted this thread looking for an adaptor long back and today found this on ebay.in. There is a gentelman selling this from kolkata for a cost of Rs 150/- Only Its great news guys i recommend this product to all who have a P3 system and are tied down by the coppermine CPU. A P3 tualatine 1.2 beats a P4 1.7 easily and another example of the tualatine great designe is that the new genration pentium M processor range is built upon the tualatine core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom