HDMI In/Out - Buying TV

sirfamol85

Broken In
Hello there,

I know very basics about HDMI and others.

I guess HD speakers can be connected to HD TV via HDMI out port to have good sound quality, is it ?
If yes then do I need to have HDMI out port on my TV to listen TV audio in HD quality? or the settop box has those things?

Please help me to understand.

reniarahim1

Youngling
By HD speakers, i guess u mean an AVR that can decode HD audio signal (Dolby Tru HD and DTS-HD master audio) and other 5.1 formats.

TVs may or may not have HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) which you can connect to AVR for getting the audio.
There is no difference between connecting Settop box to AVR directly and from Set to Box to TV and then to AVR through HDMI ARC.

Minion

Conversation Architect
HDMI port
Supports resolution upto 1080p
Using HDMI port you can only connect HD setup BOX,play station 3,XBOX360,Blu ray player.
For reference see this
HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can connect your 5.1 speakers throught optical out of your tv or if you have HD STB box like Videocon HD Box they comes with optical out.
A 5.1 speakers can't be connected through HDMI port.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
read this for some basic info:
AV receiver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

basically there are 2 types of HDMI port: older v1.3 & newer v1.4 ARC(audio return channel).1.3 can only be used to input video+audio while v1.4 ARC port can pass audio from TV to external receiver which can then decode audio signal.for good audio/video experience a good quality AVR like onkyo or denon is recommended(forget about so called home theater systems of sony,lg,samsung.....).

reniarahim1

Youngling
It would be nice if you share us the set up you are having as of now and what you are planning to get in future. That may be easier for us to answer your question.

Top Bottom