Processor : Intel Core2Duo - E4500

MotherBoard : Intel D946GZis

RAM : 1GB DDR2 667MHz

HDD : Currently 160GB INTERNAL & 80GB EXTERNAL BOTH + 240

I am Planning To Buy An 500GB HDD.

Will My PC Support 500GB HDD?

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
you didnt mentioned the single most important components that could decided whether it will be sufficient to run the HDD to be added and that is the power supply

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
Your PC will support 500GB HDD.
And if u face noticeable differences in comp. speed ... Add another 1GB stick.

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
If 740GB is filled properly ... Then accessing the contents will be slow.
So for better experiences add another 1 GB RAM.

acewin

Point Blanc
I do not think anything will be slow, just like that.
There is something called management.
Your system performance will generally depend on primary drive on which OS is there or which is in use for playing games or watching movies.
which drives are in use i.e if you are doing data transfer.

In short no need to really worry.
Rest people ahve already said or asked like PSU wattage(400W good enough for running 4-5 HDDs also with the config you got, you have low power consuming config) and how much each HDD is filled. and no of availability of SATA/PATA ports
Check your power consumption from *www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I saw realdan has mentioned about partitions, Varad, partitions are for managing your HDD(not physically but logically), and yes more partitions would decrease performance

Last edited:
OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
I saw realdan has mentioned about partitions, Varad, partitions are for managing your HDD(not physically but logically), and yes more partitions would decrease performance

Even If I Add One More 1GB Stick. Then Also The Performance Will Decrese.

In Total Now I am Having C:/, D:/, E:/, F:/, G:/,H:/ All Are 40GB's. The Last Two Are Of My External HDD. Can You Tell Me Howmany Partitions Are Created Standerdly In 500GB. Iam Planning To Create The Partation 80GB Each. Insted Of 40GB. Of My Present HDD. So That There Will Not Be Too Many Partations. What Do You Think?

Thank You
Varad.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Your PC will easily support it and there will be hardly a slowdown. I suggest that you better get a Western Digital Caviar 640GB instead of 500GB. It's the most VFM HDD right now.

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
Your PC will easily support it and there will be hardly a slowdown. I suggest that you better get a Western Digital Caviar 640GB instead of 500GB. It's the most VFM HDD right now.

Ya ....WD 640GB is the most VFM HDD.
But after having nearly full HDD's ... Accessing the contents will surely be slow.
Thats why I recommended to add another 1GB stick.
After that .... Performanc will be fine.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^I didnt said have an objection with you recommanding 1GB of more RAM. More RAM is always better than having less RAM :))

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Now I Am Having 1GB RAM. Wat Do You Tell Should I Sell This RAM. And Buy 2GB RAM.
Or Add One More 1GB Stick???

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
Even If I Add One More 1GB Stick. Then Also The Performance Will Decrese.

In Total Now I am Having C:/, D:/, E:/, F:/, G:/,H:/ All Are 40GB's. The Last Two Are Of My External HDD. Can You Tell Me Howmany Partitions Are Created Standerdly In 500GB. Iam Planning To Create The Partation 80GB Each. Insted Of 40GB. Of My Present HDD. So That There Will Not Be Too Many Partations. What Do You Think?

Thank You
Varad.

Dont worry too much.
After adding 1GB RAM u wont be dissappointed.
Just take care of the partitions ... I mean dont make too many :!:

2*1GB performs better than single 2GB stick.
So I think u get the point.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Get one more stick so that both runs in dual channel providing better performance. (Seeing that your mobo supports Dual-Channel, check your Mobo specs and tell us if it supports dual-channel or not:) ).

OP
VarDOS

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
So Totally My HDD Wil Become 880GB. I Asked My Computer Vendor He Is Telling Don't Go For WD In Spite Go For Seagate Because NoBody Is Using WD In Our Town & Also WD Is Not Avliable In Our Town.But I Saw HDD's On The Net n I Liked It. So Can Anyone Tell Me The Price Of WD 640GB HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom