Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
hey,
imm complimenting buying a hdd. (80gb) which brand should i choose. and how do i move all my data frm my old drive to my new drive with minimal hassle

rohanbee

Padawan
Well there are quite a few good brands such as Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor etc.............I ve used all three and frankly they all seem the same to me. SATA drives are more popular nowdays and only slightly more expensive than the normal drives so go in for them.

sumitava_b

In the zone
Seagate, Samsung and Maxtors are almost at par if you consider speed. But samsung is better than others in sound and heat issues. And Maxtor is little expensive than others.

And definitely SATA is the buzz nowadays! Go for it.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Within my own experience, Seagate is reliable and performs well. I've had a few that were defective on delivery, but my dealer quickly replaced them and none has gone bad or developed bad sectors in use. Samsung has a mixed reputation, and I've known a few that developed bad sectors within a short time. I've never used Maxtors but they have a bad reputation.

As rohanbee said, SATA is only slightly more expensive than PATA, but performance is also only marginally better. You have to check first to see if your motherboard supports SATA. Also, Win98 and ME do not support SATA as the boot drive.

As to moving your data, there are ways of backing up, creating images and so on. But personally I connect the two HDDs and just copy everything on to the new drive. Copying with WinXP is much faster than with Win 9X or ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom