HDD shows up in BIOS but not in Windows.

RBX

In the zone
Does Corsair VS450 sound like something that can support my config with 3 HDDs, and allow possible installation of a discrete GPU?

Edit: From the design, it seem that it's meant to be placed at the bottom of the cabinet.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used FSP Saga II 400w in top mount psu slot in that old intex mid tower cabinet.VS450 is technically alright but it is better to spent ~300 more & get Antec VP450P which is much better quality wise.

insaneYLN

In the zone
What do you mean by you don't keep it connected?Storing hdd for a long time(say 7-8 months without operation) is not recommended.

I am very worried now, because all my internal hard disk drives have not been in use for over 3 years. Albeit, each one is packed in an anti-static ESD bag and stored in a plastic case.
:blank: :Fingerx:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 years is a long time.the thing is hdd is basically a mechanical device & if not used for a long time the moving parts may get stuck.i suggest powering them up now & leave them running for ~24 hours while continuously running crystaldisk info in background to monitor their health.if there are no issues pack them back but try to run then once every 2-3 months.

insaneYLN

In the zone
3 years is a long time.the thing is hdd is basically a mechanical device & if not used for a long time the moving parts may get stuck.i suggest powering them up now & leave them running for ~24 hours while continuously running crystaldisk info in background to monitor their health.if there are no issues pack them back but try to run then once every 2-3 months.

Since I was going out of the country for academic obligations, I lent my desktop system, installed with one SATA (40GB) and one IDE (160GB) hard disk drive, to a cousin sister. Regardlessly, post my return, she still continues to use the desktop system.
:blush:

@whitestar_999, would it be advisable to individually power up and use my internal hard disk drives with a external casing such as the Live Tech LT 3.5 Ext SATA Casing, Products Live Tech?
:unsure:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't prefer using casings for 3.5" hdd compared to 2.5" hdd as desktop hdd generate more heat as well as not as much designed for mobility as laptop/2.5" hdd.still i would recommend to get this one as it has a fan for cooling hdd beside the full aluminium case(good heat dissipation):
Orico 7962SUS 3 5'' Sata External HDD Casing Enclosure USB2 0 Esata | eBay

insaneYLN

In the zone
External Casings

I don't prefer using casings for 3.5" hdd compared to 2.5" hdd as desktop hdd generate more heat as well as not as much designed for mobility as laptop/2.5" hdd.still i would recommend to get this one as it has a fan for cooling hdd beside the full aluminium case(good heat dissipation):
Orico 7962SUS 3 5'' Sata External HDD Casing Enclosure USB2 0 Esata | eBay
@whitestar_999, thank you very much for the recommendation. The product page on E-Bay India mentions that the product carries 1 year warranty. Consequently, I am keen to know, how would a buyer avail a warranty claim, if and when the need arises, considering Orico does not have after sales service in India?

The reason why I was initially inclined towards Live Tech's product, is because, their after sales service is based in India, and Live Tech too offers 1 year warranty on its external casings. Is there a brand/manufacturer, offering an external casing similar to the Orico item and providing after sales service in India?

insaneYLN

In the zone
Re: External Casings

@whitestar_999, thank you very much for the recommendation. The product page on E-Bay India mentions that the product carries 1 year warranty. Consequently, I am keen to know, how would a buyer avail a warranty claim, if and when the need arises, considering Orico does not have after sales service in India?

The reason why I was initially inclined towards Live Tech's product, is because, their after sales service is based in India, and Live Tech too offers 1 year warranty on its external casings. Is there a brand/manufacturer, offering an external casing similar to the Orico item and providing after sales service in India?

:bump:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was very busy in the last week hence the late reply.For such a product i am not expecting the usual support but guessing that you contact the seller who then will help you get support.btw i bought one & it worked fine.I ran a 7200rpm sata hdd for ~3 hours & temps never crossed 36C but that was in Delhi's winter when avg room temps are ~20-25C.I will test it in my flat where avg outside temps are ~30C & will post the result here.

insaneYLN

In the zone
@whitestar_999, the Orico 7962SUS hard disk drive enclosure is currently unavailable, either on E-Bay India, or on Amazon India. Consequently, I have been considering on getting this - Anker USB 3.0 and eSATA To SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 / 3.5in HDD and SSD.
Do let me know what you make of it.
:blush:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the only one i could find with reasonable price:
Transcend 3 5" HDD Casing Sata TS0GSJ35U3 Hard Drive Enclosure USB 3 0 | eBay

This one is too costly & not worth the price:
Vantec Nexstar HX 3 5" Sata USB 3 0 Firewire 800 External Hard Drive Enclosure | eBay

insaneYLN

In the zone
This is the only one i could find with reasonable price:
Transcend 3 5" HDD Casing Sata TS0GSJ35U3 Hard Drive Enclosure USB 3 0 | eBay
@whitestar_999, thank you very much for the apt suggestion. The Transcend StoreJet 35U3 fits my requirement, and budget; brilliantly!
:doublethumb:

The only discrepancy is that, the product page on E-Bay India says one year warranty, whereas the user manual from Transcend India's website states two years warranty, for the said product. As usual, I trust a manufacturer's warranty period, and consequently, would like to enquiringly confirm with Transcend India's customer support service helpline number. Does anyone have the concerned contact number?
:chinscratch: :blink:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seeing some people experience with Transcend after sales support here i say even 1 year warranty is good enough if you managed to get good after sales support from them.

insaneYLN

In the zone
@whitestar_999, could you please suggest an appropriate enclosure for a 2.5" laptop hard disk drive, similar to the Transcend StoreJet 35U3; you suggested for a 3.5" desktop hard disk drive?
:sealed: :pray:

I devoutly thank you for all your continued help and assistance.
:thumbs: :blush:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for 2.5" hdd fan in hdd case is not as essential but still getting a full metal case is recommended.
Transcend TS0GSJ25S-S 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure - Buy Transcend TS0GSJ25S-S 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure Online at best price in India : Flipkart.com
try some other sites for a bit lower price.

insaneYLN

In the zone
for 2.5" hdd fan in hdd case is not as essential but still getting a full metal case is recommended.
Transcend TS0GSJ25S-S 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure - Buy Transcend TS0GSJ25S-S 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure Online at best price in India : Flipkart.com
try some other sites for a bit lower price.
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], thank you very much for the appropriate suggestion.
:doublethumb:

Can I settle for the Transcend StoreJet 25S3, StoreJet 25S3 (USB 3.0 Enclosure)-External Storage High-speed USB 3.0 Enclosure? The TS0GSJ25S-S model is not listed on Transcend India's website, and perhaps may be a discontinued product.
:crazy: :blush:

Top Bottom