HDD RAM Price

Silverstone

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,

I intend to buy 500GB Harddisk and a 2GB RAM.
Pls let me the current price of the following:

1. Seagate 500GB / 1TB Internal HDD.
2. Transcend 2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM.

I enquired for the above in Variety Infotech, Thane(W) (Supposedly the cheapest shop in Thane dealing in electronics), the price given to me was Rs. 2100 for 500GB Seagate HDD and Rs. 1250 for Transcend RAM 2GB 667MHZ.

Also list of some good computer shops in Lamington Road, Mumbai would be appreciated.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
500GB Seagate SAtA 7200.12 drive should be around 1.9k and 2GB DDr2 800 Mhz Transcend Ram module should be around ~1.2k.

BTW, what mobo and ram module do you have ( brand name and speed ) ??

OP
S

Silverstone

My mobo is ASUS M2N68-AM Plus and RAM which i have is Transcend 2GB DDR2 667MHz.

I need to add another 2GB to it. If by adding RAM module of 800MHz, will it work with the current 667MHz one?
As per my experience, different frequency RAM module leads to occasional crashes and hang.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Theoretically it won't work, but in my browsing laptop, one 667MHz ram is working flawlessly with another 800MHz ram for past 11 month.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Theoretically higher speed mem will work with lower speed mem ;-)

If you are uisng a 800 Mhz with a 667 Mhz module the 800 Mhz module will clock down itself to match the speed of 667 Mhz module and will set other latency and timing values as well - that's why in your laptop one 667 Mhz and another 800 Mhz is working together ;-)

but latency and timing values can't be be guaranteed for two different ram modules unless you are getting a dual/tri channel kit or buy two or more ram modules with same speed, amount, timing and from same batch altogether.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Theoretically higher speed mem will work with lower speed mem ;-)

If you are uisng a 800 Mhz with a 667 Mhz module the 800 Mhz module will clock down itself to match the speed of 667 Mhz module and will set other latency and timing values as well - that's why in your laptop one 667 Mhz and another 800 Mhz is working together ;-)

Didn't know this one. New addition to my knowledge. Thanks. :)

OP
S

Silverstone

Thank you guys for the info.

I have bought Seagate HDD 500GB for 2000Rs. and Transcend 2GB DDR2 667MHz for 1200Rs. (I didn't wanted to take risk and 667MHz is still available but only in few shops, so what the hell..). Although RAM module of 800MHz is cheaper than 667MHz by some 50Rs...

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
AFAIK, price of RAM modules have increased a bit, but don't have any info about the increase in price of HDD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you guys for the info.

I have bought Seagate HDD 500GB for 2000Rs. and Transcend 2GB DDR2 667MHz for 1200Rs. (I didn't wanted to take risk and 667MHz is still available but only in few shops, so what the hell..). Although RAM module of 800MHz is cheaper than 667MHz by some 50Rs...

Congrats ;-)

800 Mhz is cheaper because it's most widely available DDR2 ram currently available on the market ;-)

Top Bottom