HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamatrix

Journeyman
I recently bought a new PC and the HDD is giving me problems ( my HDD is 200GB seagate sata).

when i tried to copy something from a DVD onto my comp it just hung up, and my HDD stopped responding and after my Windows would not load it showed some disk boot failure. i went to my dealer to get it fixed and it started working fine. he said there was nothing wrong.

when i brought my PC back again tried to copy from that DVD and same problems arose again. i left my PC for one day and next somehow the window started loading again, but it was very very slow ( i have a C2D for christ sakes).
ithought it must be problem with my windows so i tried to reinstall windows again. the formatting went well but when the copying of files started it said it could not do it and the installation had to be cancelled.

then i tried running running disk manager , created 4 partitions(with fat32) and tried formatting my C: drive. it said that my disk was unusable.

again i took my PC to my dealer he fixed it by making 2 Fat32 and 2 ntfs partitions. he said fat32 dont support 200 gb (which i think is crap).

so now i ask my main question is evrything with my HDD fine or is my software corrupt or something else. when i ran defrag it said i have bad clusters. and diskcheck also said i have bad clusters.

any solutions ??

Stalker

Padawan
try running chkdsk <driveletter> from the command prompt
eg: to scan c: type chkdsk c:.............This shud tell u abt the bad sectors

If ur hdd is giving u problems now, it is better to get it replaced
& try converting all partitions to ntfs as fat32 does not support individual files > 4 gig...i think

OP
aquamatrix

aquamatrix

Journeyman
well i ran check disk and it does say i have some 3 MB of bad sectors in my C: drive only. so i should probably get it replaced???

one stupid question though do bad sectors grow or something like that.

and how come bad sectors crept into my my new HDD

Last edited:

slagad

Broken In
Bad sectors can grow, if your HDD has waranty then replace it immediately and be firm with the dealer, he might try to avoid the effort of sending the disk back. 3MB might be small compared to 200 GB, but it could be sign of a failing / faulty disk.

Like mentioned by Stalker chkdisk is one of the best options. Also do not make too many partitions as it increases the size of your partition tables, can reduce perfomance, make 2 partitions and format them with NTFS, for optimal performance.

OP
aquamatrix

aquamatrix

Journeyman
my problem just gets weirder, i ran the disk manager utility thru a bootable disk and formatted all my drives by the fat32 partititon ( new clusters were created) , then i installed XP and ran chkdsk again and surprisingly no bad sectors came up, my PC is working as it is supposed to now. what the hell was wrong then????

Stalker

Padawan
^^well, a similar thing had happened to me............i started getting BSOD's saying 'kernel inpage error', also boot-up time was 5 min...........i ran chkdsk, found a few KB's in bad sectors
Then i deleted the partion, created a new 1 with NTFS, and reinstalled XP.........problem solved

DukeNukem

Come get Some
bro bad sector in new HDD ???

Well can you tell me which board you are running from ????
if its a i815 or below or equalent. board has some limitations
in such case to solve your probs you must partition your hdd with a bootable XPSP2 cd or the server2k3 (as they recognize Large cap HDD easily) one and then format the partitions with NTFS option.

---------------------------------------
one more thing if using old configs
Never mix i815, win98 and < 120 GB HDD (single HDD)
-----------------------------------------

Well can you tell me which board you are running from ????
if its a i815 or below or equalent hdd might wrongly report bad sectors. board has some limitations
in such case to solve your probs you must partition your hdd with a bootable XPSP2 cd or the server2k3 (as they recognize Large cap HDD easily) one and then format the partitions with NTFS option. plus run WinxpSP2 or Above

---------------------------------------
one more thing if using old configs
Never mix i815, win98 and < 120 GB HDD (single HDD)
-----------------------------------------

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom