HDD Problem

nseries73

Journeyman
I am currently using a SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 7200.12 HDD, but for few days whenever I am starting my PC a black screen shows up showing below"PRIMARY HDD: STATUS BAD, BACKUP AND REPLACE"

Does this mean my HDD is screwed or is there any way of getting this right.

No question of warranty as it was purchased 4yrs ago.

Holy **** this HDD JUST CRASHED!!!!!!!

Saw on BIOS its not detecting. Guys can you help me, how can I recover data from this disc, have a impt folder on the desktop..........

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Naxal

Little Kid
No question of warranty as it was purchased 4yrs ago.

I think those days HDD use to come with 5 year warranty :p

I am currently using a SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 7200.12 HDD, but for few days whenever I am starting my PC a black screen shows up showing below"PRIMARY HDD: STATUS BAD, BACKUP AND REPLACE"

Check your hard disk for errors

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I think it's better to start looking for a new HDD to be on a safer side. This time plan for wd black as they come with 5 year warranty.

OP
nseries73

nseries73

Journeyman
I think it's better to start looking for a new HDD to be on a safer side. This time plan for wd black as they come with 5 year warranty.

ya i did post about buying one in the buying section , care to reply there if u have good idea about it, please help me out then

he he but it was a yr only then dude,...............:-?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
+1 for WD Black..

btw (as a General Information for all):
WD HDDs come in 3 flavours:
1.) Black: For ultimate performance (The WD Black runs at 7200 rpm, ideal for gaming, video editing etc.)

2.) Green: The WD Green is a power saver i.e. consumes low power, cool and Eco friendly, Also, WD Green runs @ 5400rpm. So, WD Green is for bulk storage or backups where speed isn't critical or where you want to minimize heat buildup say for eg: in an unventilated external enclosure.

3.) Blue: are mid way b/w the Black and the Green

NOTE: WD Black has a 5 yr warranty whereas the Blue and Green have 3 yr warranty.. :)

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
nseries73

nseries73

Journeyman
+1 for WD Black..

btw (as a General Information for all):
WD HDDs come in 3 flavours:
1.) Black: For ultimate performance (The WD Black runs at 7200 rpm, ideal for gaming, video editing etc.)

2.) Green: The WD Green is a power saver i.e. consumes low power, cool and Eco friendly, Also, WD Green runs @ 5400rpm. So, WD Green is for bulk storage or backups where speed isn't critical or where you want to minimize heat buildup say for eg: in an unventilated external enclosure.

3.) Blue: are mid way b/w the Black and the Green

NOTE: WD Black has a 5 yr warranty whereas the Blue and Green have 3 yr warranty.. :)

Cheers n e-peace....

is there a possiblity that price of this HDD will further fall in the near future

Checked it but after checking the HDD, it crashed after I worked on it for sometime.................How can I retrieve data from it, I have a important folder on the DESKTOP...

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
is there a possiblity that price of this HDD will further fall in the near future

Checked it but after checking the HDD, it crashed after I worked on it for sometime.................How can I retrieve data from it, I have a important folder on the DESKTOP...

Have you tried connecting the HDD as a secondary device on a different pc? Then you can probably take backup. And it's better not to wait for price to come down if your existing HDD is having an issue.

doomgiver

Warframe

nope, price wont fall until ~2014 or late this year.

easiest way is to plug in into desktop via usb and access it under linux.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

The prices will come down always, it has been the pattern for companies since a long long time...

But...

You should also understand the Marketing strategy involved in that.. i.e. "With lowering prices, the component gets older and are eventually phased out by newer ones (which obviously have high prices on them).. :)
So, everytime is the right time to buy and it totally depends on your budget and/or usage requirements.

Say, for e.g. for one person a simple 1TB or even a 750GB HDD will be more than enough but for others, even 5 SSDs (SSD=Solid State Drive) will be jus a slow performance storage device (pun intended) :)

---------
off topic: Hey (TopGear), buddy !!! Seeing your post after a long long time bro.. :) (ofcourse, I was off the TDF radar for ages,lol) hope you doing gr8 mate !!
---------

Cheers n e-peace....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I hope you are also doing great ;-)

download Knoppix CD iso image, make a bootable PD using it, boot your pc with this, if the HDD is accessible you should be able to copy your important data on another PD ( it's never a good idea to store important docs on desktop ).

If the HDD is not accessible under linux you have to hok it up on some other pc/or your pc as the secondary HDD and try using Test Disk/PhotoRec or Easeus Data recovery app but even if this is nt enough time for you to seek pro help.

OP
nseries73

nseries73

Journeyman
^^ I hope you are also doing great ;-)

download Knoppix CD iso image, make a bootable PD using it, boot your pc with this, if the HDD is accessible you should be able to copy your important data on another PD ( it's never a good idea to store important docs on desktop ).

If the HDD is not accessible under linux you have to hok it up on some other pc/or your pc as the secondary HDD and try using Test Disk/PhotoRec or Easeus Data recovery app but even if this is nt enough time for you to seek pro help.

well thnx buddy, but already went to the service center and returned the HDD for replacement as it is with 5yr warranty!!!!!!!

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ Sensible move... :)

Btw, do inform the RMA guys that you need your data back before they do any sort of R&D over it.

Cheers n e-peace....

Top Bottom