HDD Interface Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
Just checked seagates site for 80 gb hdd . dont 7200 rpm disk come with ata 133 (udma 133) interface

*www.seagate.com/cda/products/discs...rface,00.html?interface=ATA&capacity=&system=

all the samsung disks at 7200 rpm have UATA 133(udma 133) .

are there any diff models of seagate with 133 or do the 100 actually work better than their samsungs 133 ??

is seagate wasting too much on advts in computer mags ??? i just called their toll free number from the dig Q&A page . asked abt warranty for 5 years , was told to buy the disk and then check it . Asked if there was any particular date i should check on the drive after which 5 years warranty is given , she goes blank . Asked if they have any model with 133 ata interface , she asks 133 what .

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
WHOA, apparently Seagate has no ATA133 drives. :lol: But then, its not really something to worry about. No IDE drive can transfer data faster than 40-45MB/s, which just about exceeds the capabilities of ATA33, leave alone ATA66 or ATA100. :D But having said that, all you would notice is a higher burst transfer rate when it comes to ATA133 drives, say about 5-8MB/s. But there is absolutely no major change from ATA100 to ATA133 when it comes to access times, sequential transfer, seconds to load Photoshop files, etc. Total performance increase of ATA133 over ATA100 would be lesser than 5%, not to mention that ATA133 has the capacity to choke the bus, which is not a problem with ATA100. In fact, real-world performance increase would be absolutely little to even be noticed. Given all that, I would say Seagate is probably right in not harboring any lost love with ATA133.

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks for the info . eventually bought a seagate 80gb 7200.7 rpm . weird , even rpms come in decimel these days ;)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
No, no, you're mistaken, it shouldnt be read as 7200.7 rpm. :D You see, Barracuda was Seagate's SCSI drives before they discontinued it and focused on ATA alone for the Barracuda. They also killed the U-series and transferred the 5400rpm drives to the Barracuda segment, which resulted in numeric indexes being added to the name, such as “7200� and “5400�. And the generation name is now indicated with a digit after a point. As a result, the next generation after Barracuda ATA V is called Barracuda 7200.7. Just in case you're wondering what happened to the sixth, they skipped it and went straight to generation 7.

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
no wonder the tech guy at seagate call center was confused lol . why don't the drives come with those cool rubber casing , like they used to . these just look too plain and hard to handle ( yes i have butter fingers , drop my whole cpu once ;) ) . Whats the quickest way to tranfer logical partitions from one disk to the other ( mostly bakup data , no OS ) , over the network . anything like good old xcopy for xp ?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
No idea why they stopped the rubber casings around the hard drive. Probably they figured they could cut down on temperature or something, but I figure they most cut costs. :D I am a little careful now, especially now that I can easily damage the drive electronics with them being so exposed.
And oh, the fastest way is still xcopy and it still works just as well in Windows XP, I use it all the time to copy files from the DVD+RWs I create after turning off the antivirus temporarily and disabling the network connection. Its still the fastest way ever to copy files. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom