Status
Not open for further replies.

divyaansha

Broken In

I have 40 gb samsung hdd

my friend gave me his hdd since he was going out out station and was buying a new pc

The hdd he gave was seagate 80 gb hdd

now he has win2k pro installed on his drive .

I wanted to know that when I format the seagate hdd on my pc after removing mine hdd ...Will it have any effect on my drivers

(p.s. i would connect the drive as secondary and connect my as primary)

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
divya u got 2 b more clear in ur query.....1st thing i wudnt matter if u discon ur drive...itz safe away from home....just 1 thing wen u reconnect ur drive in sec or pri watever....check ur jumper settings set to ur drive so it boots win from urs.....n since ur hdd will work noramaly on same mobo it wont need any change in drivers etc.
gud luk
cheers

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
What effect would it have on your PC? Now when u install 98 in your friends HDD, then 98 will install keeping ur system hardware in mind..., so when the same HDD pluged in your friends PC will work but i guess he will have to install drivers again.

And 98 dont come with inbuilt drivers, so u will have to install the drivers again...

OP
D

divyaansha

Broken In
I will Reapeat the Question

HOW DO I FORMAT A HARD DISK THAT DOES NOT MATCH MY PC's CONFIGURATION :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

FOR EXAMPLE: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

THE HARD DISK WAS INSTALLED WITH "ATI RADEON" DRIVERS AND MY ME HAS "H.I.S MOTHERBOARD" WITH INBUILT DISPLAY CARD

THUS THIS WAY EVEN IF I REMOVE MY H.D.D AND CONNECT THE OTHER H.D.D THAT I WANT TO FORMAT TO MY PC,,, I ASUME THAT IT WON'T START ,,, :arrow: CAUSING SOME PROBLEM TO MY PC

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
According to your initial post, I assume that you've got a used hard disk and want to install it on your own PC. I also assume that he is not gonna want the hard disk back, since he's getting a new PC and is also heading out of town. In that case, what you need to do is to set the jumpers on the back of your hard to either CS/Master and the one on your friend's to CS/Slave, and then connect the hard disk to your computer as a Slave. So when you restart the computer, what will happen is this:

Your C:, drivers and all programs installed on C: will remain intact. There will be no need to reinstall or uninstall anything.

The new hard disk will not conflict or ask you to boot into Windows 2000 Pro or anything like that, your normal Windows OS (9x/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003) will continue to work the way it always has been working.
Once its booted in, you can format the hard disk and delete/change partitions any which way you want. Drivers/applications on your hard disk will remain and work the way they used to and no drivers/applications on your friend's hard disk with conflict with anything on your PC.

However, there is one problem that can arise if you're not using Windows 2000/XP/2003 as "your" OS. Your friend's C: will become your D:, and if you have a D: on "your" hard disk, then it will be auto-renamed to E: Which means, that any applications you've installed on D: will not work properly and you will have to use a program called "TweakUI" to detect and fix the changed drive letters/directories.

If you're using Windows 2000/XP/2003, then it automatically add the disks to the end of your first hard disk, so if you have C:, D: and E: your friend's HDD will be F:, G: and H:, etc.

If you do not want to use your HDD at all, and want to use ONLY your friend's then ignore all these steps and then connect your friend's HDD and then start the computer using a bootable startup disc/bootable CDROM and then use the 'format' command to wipe the hard disk contents. You cannot start the computer by plugging in your friend's hard disk alone as a Master.

Hope that clears things up.

OP
D

divyaansha

Broken In
thanx

so u mean to say that if i connect his drive as slave then his c: will not conflit with me c: and the computer will start with my drive's os which is connected as master and his c:,d:,e: will be automatically renamed as h:,i:,j:...

Please confirm this question enoonmai :cry:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yes, yes, yes! :D If you connect his hard disk as a slave to your Master, there will be no effect on your Drive C: Just make sure you set the jumpers properly. If you're not using Windows 2000/XP/2003, be prepared to have your friend's C: become your D:, so if you've got any applications on D:, you will have to repair the broken directory links with TweakUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom