HDD for backup . Internal or external?

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
I need a hdd to store movies, game installations and other stuff which i rarely open. My requirements are
1. Long life
2. Reliability

Speed dosnt matter and i am looking for a storage capacity of 1 TB. Which type of hdd should i buy? And any specific brand/model? Max budget is 5k+/-200. Although cheaper is preferred.

1. Internal : cheap and seems reliable. But i will have to keep it connected all the time which means lower life (not sure)

2. External HDD: seems like a good option but i dont like power adaptors which are prone to damage/malfunction.

3. Portable 2.5" hdd: compact and doesnt need external power. But i'm not sure about their reliability.

Which one should i buy?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i never recommend external/3.5" hdd for backup/reliability.either go for portable 2.5"(no power adapter) or internal.also it is a myth that internal hdd will last for lesser time because of being connected all the time.in fact more than continuous running it is the turning on/off of hdd which is more stressful.to give you an idea according to some just one on/off of hdd is equivalent to approx. 8 hours of usage so turn off the pc only if you are not going to use it for at least 7-8 hours.also connecting all time means you can continuously monitor hdd health using software like crystaldisk info to get any signs of incoming trouble.it is better this way compared to those situations where you plug-in your portable hdd one day & find out it isn't working.in the end always have a backup of your important data in a different hdd.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks. Will go for internal hdd. How is WD green in terms if long life and reliability? I have nevwr used seagate is there ny good hdd from seagate? :confused:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in my experience(of reading posts here & elsewhere) WD green series is not a good choice.latest 2TB seagate internal hdd(5900 rpm) costs ~5200 & comes with 2 years warranty.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
in my experience(of reading posts here & elsewhere) WD green series is not a good choice.latest 2TB seagate internal hdd(5900 rpm) costs ~5200 & comes with 2 years warranty.

Cheapest 2TB i could find is WD green priced @ Rs.5750 :mad:

Only WD green 1TB and seagate barracuda 1TB is available in local market. priced 4.3 and 4.8k respectively.

Top Bottom