HDD Extra Pin Interface ???

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
I have 2HDDs here with me , Hitachi 250GB, SEAGATE 500GB. from 2 different manufacturers, and all of them have the following 2 & 4-pin extra interface beside the SATA connector. what does it works for ???

Hitachi - there is only 2-pin
*s9.postimg.org/i69zzwqob/hitachi.jpg

Seagate - there is only 4-pin

*s9.postimg.org/ix2q5ot1n/seagate.jpg

Vyom93

Journeyman
the pins are for jumper it use to set master or slave drive that is primary or secondary in pata hdd , in sata hdd jumper is not use

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
some old motherboards with sata1 ports had problems recognizing some sata2 hdd for which a jumper pin configuration was provided to make sata2 hdd work as sata1 hdd with these motherboards.

OP
ramakanta

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
some old motherboards with sata1 ports had problems recognizing some sata2 hdd for which a jumper pin configuration was provided to make sata2 hdd work as sata1 hdd with these motherboards.

any configuration diagram ?? for Hitachi ?? also for Seagate ???

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
depends on hard disk model.why are you asking anyway?only some mobo faced this issue.there is no need to fiddle with this unless your mobo is failing to detect sata2 hdd on sata1 port.

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example, Seagate/Maxtor has added a user-accessible jumper-switch, known as the Force 150, to enable the drive switch between forced 1.5 Gbit/s and 1.5/3 Gbit/s negotiated operation. Western Digital uses a jumper setting called OPT1 Enabled to force 1.5 Gbit/s data transfer speed (OPT1 is enabled by putting the jumper on pins 5 & 6). Samsung drives can be forced to 1.5 Gbit/s mode using software that may be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Configuring some Samsung drives in this manner requires the temporary use of a SATA-2 (SATA 3.0 Gbit/s) controller while programming the drive.

Vyom93

Journeyman
but , there is no such things .....

I was talking about this jumper setting diagram which is on some of the hdd label
*i.imgur.com/vGjTrqUl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wxL9mzw.jpg

but if there is no such thing u need to google it with the model no

OP
ramakanta

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
I was talking about this jumper setting diagram which is on some of the hdd label
*i.imgur.com/vGjTrqUl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/wxL9mzw.jpg

but if there is no such thing u need to google it with the model no

I know about ATA hard disk configuration , but I am need for SATA , which I have already attached screenshot .

Top Bottom