HD 6670 temperature inquiry

sukesh1090

Adam young
I have a MSI 6670 with two fan cooler.those fans were making hell lot of noise even after disabling one.so yesterday i removed the cooler now it has only the aluminium heatsink over it no fans.basically now it is passively cooled.now my idle temp is 42C and load temp is 80C for 1 hour gaming.so it may even hit 83-85C if i play continuously for 4-5 hours(not tested).
before removing the cooler its idle temp was 38C and load temp was 55C.so now my question is it safe to run that card at that temps(80-85).is there any cheap after market GPU cooler which i can use. thanks.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Prolonged periods at 80+ is not so good.

Why not add the fans back and control the fan noise by reducing the fan speed. Msi afterburner can help here.

Or else increase ventilation inside cabinet with extra fans.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
decreasing the fan speed with afterburner is just name sake they actually don't decrease your fan speed.increasing the ventilation of comp, i am using corsair 400R with 5 fans so i take it for granted that there in no room for improvement.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
^^
decreasing the fan speed with afterburner is just name sake they actually don't decrease your fan speed.

I am using afterburner with a palit 9600gt. Monitored the values using gpuz and hwinfo.
So far the changes reflect properly on all other monitors.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Your gpu is MSI. Shouldnt Afterburner work with it properly ? Strange...
Tried Sapphire trixx ?

doomgiver

Warframe
lol!!! afterburner not working with msi gpu!!

i actually ramp up the fan speed to ~70-90% most of the time. for me, performance >>>>> noise.

start it as admin.

aloodum

Journeyman
Running on passively cooled is not a good option...I blv in dec the ambient temps are cooler in most places+ coupled with a good ventilation, u are literally getting away with that card :)
Once the temps increase, it wont be soon before you hit the late 90's.

In the plain jane amd catalyst/vision centre, you have a "Overdrive" option under the Performance tab.
1. See if you can change the fan speed here.
2. Also, when in auto mode, observe here if the fan speed changes with change in temps of the card. If the fan speed stays at a constant %, then its an issue with your card, the speed should vary with load. You should use the rma option then.

Incase its performing as per its specs and still you feel the sound is way overboard and ur inclined to look at aftermarket coolers, it may not be a very cost effective solution as they dont come cheap(min is 2k i blv)
What you may instead do is a ghetto fix, that use one of the regular cabinet fans, even the plain jane CM ones and after a bit of ingenuity on your part, slap it on the gpu heatsink, utilizing anything from a rubber band to tie string :p, and then use a cheapo fan controller.
The DIY were very common in times of AGP cards and the famous 8600GT electric stove edition :p
Ofcourse there are replacement fans for gpus, but out here you wont be able to source them :(

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
@topgear,
thanks bro.i will give it a try once i get home.but i doubt that it is possible to control the fan speed of that cooler with a software.

@aloodum,
thanks for the suggestion.i will give it a try once i go to home.lets see how it goes.i will post the results.

Top Bottom