Having a problem with a Game? Read this thread first.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
I've made this thread to outline a basic set of troubleshooting tips/FAQ for newbs who make threads here for advice on problems in their games.

Troubleshooting Tips/FAQ

Q1 : I'm having *insert problem here* with *insert game name here* running on my PC,I can exit the game though.
A1 : You should first do these things
  • Check if your system meets the minimum system requirements to run the game.
  • Update your Graphics card driver
    Nvidia
    AMD/ATI
  • Make sure that there are no extra programs running in the background that might interfere with the games execution.(you can do this by Ctrl+Shift+Esc,to open Windows task Manager,from where you right click on a program you want to end and click on
    "end process" from drop-down menu)
  • try running game as administrator(you can do this by right clicking on *insert game name here*..exe>properties>compatibility>Run as administrator)
  • If its an old game,run using compatibility mode(right clicking on *insert game name here*.exe>properties>compatibility>run this program in compatibility mode for *choose operating system from drop down menu)
  • Try applying the latest patch to your game.
  • Uninstall and Re-Install your game.
Q2 : HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My game has got stuck/frozen/hanged! What to do!!!??
A2 :
  • Hold Alt+Tab,this will minimize the game window and return you to your desktop,you can later click on your game icon and see if your game has un-frozen now.You can also use the "Windows" key on your KB for this.
  • Hold Alt + F4 this will close the game window
  • Ctrl+Shift+Esc,this will minimize the game window and return you to your desktop,and also open the Windows Task Manager
  • Sleep Mode : To put Laptop to sleep simply close the lid
  • Shut down : Shut down the desktop through power buttons/Shut down Laptop by flipping it over and removing the battery and putting it back(assuming power button does not work)

Q3 : I'm getting slow/Laggy gameplay.?
A3 :
Check if your system meets the minimum system requirements to run the game.
If it does,Try Playing by lowering settings and resolution,this will improve FrameRate.
If playing on laptop and the above does not show change,try cleaning its fan,and re-applying thermal paste on CPU and GPU

Q4 : I'm having *insert problem here* with *insert game name here* running on my PC,My game is pirated :grin:
A4 :
This forum does not encourage piracy,so the only tip i can give pirates is to read the "comments" section of the page from where you got your game ;-) , for within those comments,lie the answer to thy problems.......
If the stuff within the spoiler box above don't work,then its a divine sign from God to .....
BUY THE FREAKIN' GAME GODDAMN IT! SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!

Q5 : How to effectively communicate your problem in TDF or some other forum?
A5 : below are some "keywords" you can say, that best describe your problem in one word,rather than writing a Mahabharat about it
I'm having slow-slow gameplay,like the player does some action and the game takes time to react to it.What is it called? ---Lag
My game suddenly exits to the desktop?what is this called? --Crashing
My games gets stuck at some point in the game?What is this called? --- Freezing or Hanging

Troubleshooting tips from TDF members
Error: "The file d3dx9_xx.DLL was not found"
Resolve: Download and install latest directx

Last edited:

rst

Youngling
nice thread
--------------------------
Common reasons for which games donot run :-
1. we don't copy the crack folder content to the installation directory(game folder)
2. We don't install DirectX, PhysX
3. Some games like RE 5, GTA 4 donot run due to window live improper installation

Last edited:

darkv0id

Journeyman
Nice one Commander. :)

One small addition: sometimes alt-tabbing does not work when the game freezes, one should consider the old Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then start the Task Manager.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Also add a sentence that asks people to install the latest patch released. Usually it fixes most common bugs.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
1. we don't COPY THE CRACK folder content to the installation directory(game folder)
+1.''COPY THE CRACK'' IS THE WAY TO GO.
@OP: Add this to the first post.It might be helpful for the smooth functioning of many games.

Last edited:

Flash

Lost in speed
A4 :
This forum does not encourage piracy,so the only tip i can give pirates is to read the "comments" section of the page from where you got your game ;-) , for within those comments,lie the answer to thy problems and searching for YouTube videos regarding it.......
Very true and a good thread; :D
How about including S/W like Razer Game Booster - Won't it help gamers atleast a bit?

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Nice one Commander. :)

One small addition: sometimes alt-tabbing does not work when the game freezes, one should consider the old Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then start the Task Manager.
yup. ctrl alt del works better than ctrl shift esc in those situations. it takes higher interrupt priority.

really nice thread.

amjath

Human Spambot
Commander Add this

Error: "The file d3dx9_xx.DLL was not found"
Resolve: Download and install latest directx

Top Bottom