Has My Ethernet port died???? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ASUS mobo (will post exact specifix later, am at cyber cafe now)
My Internet was all fine, everything was smooth as silk (MTNL Triband, but i think it's not related to my problem)
I was even accessing the forum last night (till about 12.30, 1 AM)
Today, when I double clicked on Local Area Connection, it said "enabling...connection failed" :(
after a restart, this Icon was not visible on Network connections :(
Even Ubuntu doesnt detect it :cry:
Has it died? :|

OP
thewisecrab
(have trotted home and now using laptop)
Gives me 100% data loss :shock:
I was working fine yesterday, I downloaded lots of data
Can it be that just it's connector is loose or something? I dont know...
And (if) the port has died, what do I do? i mean the Mobo is still in warranty (barely 5 months :()

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
In Windows

Start->Run->cmd
Type
ipconfig
and press ENTER

Post output here. You can ping later.

In Ubuntu,

Alt+F2
gnome-terminal
press ENTER

sudo ifconfig

and press ENTER
Post output here

OP
thewisecrab
done that..just shows windows IP configuration and nothing else
I pinged it and it gave me 100% data loss :shock:
Can it just be some connection loose or something..It was working well just 12 hours ago. How can it just go kaput????
It's been hardly 5 months since I bought this new config, so will it be fixed under warranty?

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
New board, it must be a gigabit lan. Reload/install the drivers that came with your motherboard and reboot

Ok I will check tomorrow morning, goodnight

Last edited:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
my dear forumer, did your area witnessed a thunderstorm..recently..if you dont know..ask your family or friends..if yes..lightning could have strike dsl line and strike out the ethernet port..i have one ethernet port not working also becos of that....not to mention a couple of routers gone becos of that

OP
thewisecrab
@realdan
No lightning here in October :p
@NucluesKore
Why did you PM? :???:
Any way, reinstalling the diver didnt work :(
Will this issue be covered in warranty?

imgame2

Padawan
I have an ASUS mobo (will post exact specifix later, am at cyber cafe now)
My Internet was all fine, everything was smooth as silk (MTNL Triband, but i think it's not related to my problem)
I was even accessing the forum last night (till about 12.30, 1 AM)
Today, when I double clicked on Local Area Connection, it said "enabling...connection failed" :(
after a restart, this Icon was not visible on Network connections :(
Even Ubuntu doesnt detect it :cry:
Has it died? :|

well i don't think so ...but this could happen ...u should tell us which mobo is urs and try installing new hardware in windows ..choosing ethernet cards/controllers and then choose one which is near to ur Lan chipet on board...

if u did not understand what i said ..tell me the windows version u are using and also the model number of ur mobo

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
my dear forumer, did your area witnessed a thunderstorm..recently..if you dont know..ask your family or friends..if yes..lightning could have strike dsl line and strike out the ethernet port..i have one ethernet port not working also becos of that....not to mention a couple of routers gone becos of that
This happened in my case.But instead of ADSL line it was a cable connection & the darn onboard ethernet port went kaput.Had to get a new LAN card as was too lazy to send the whole mobo for RMA.:mad:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
@realdan
No lightning here in October :p

you can check the LAN port to see if the lights blinks when the data line is connected to it..

if light(not blinking ones) can be seen in the LAN port even when no data line is connected..then the port is gone..probably short circuited somehow.

there is a high probability that your LAN port is gone
i think one can claim warranty

This happened in my case.But instead of ADSL line it was a cable connection & the darn onboard ethernet port went kaput.Had to get a new LAN card as was too lazy to send the whole mobo for RMA.:mad:

they replaced the motherboard for you..i think you didnt tell them that lightning strike it ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom