Hard Disk wrongly partitioned by assembler

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
It is a 160GB Sata Seagate drive.

I asked him to partition a 20GB C: and install Windows on to it. The rest I told him I'll partition it myself. Under Disk Management in Windows XP, the C: is being shown like an extended partition green in color. And I am not able to create more than 3 extra partitions D: E: F: since only 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1 extended can be accomodated. Mine is the latter case. How do I change C: to primary and convert the remaining 140GB to an extended so that I can create a lot of logical partitions within that 140GB? I need at least two more partitions for Windows and three partitions for Ubuntu.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I have same HDD. Seagte 160 GB SATA

I made partitions as follows:

Primary : 20 GB [C: WinXP + Softwares]
Extended [140 GB]
Logical1: 40 [D: "Secret Stuff" ;)]
Logical2: 50 [E: Games]
Logical3: 50 [F: Songs and Movies]

For your criteria:

Alot 140 GB to Windows

and keep 20 GB as FREE SPACE. Dont create partition there.

Ubuntu Installation: Partiotion. Ask it to Use FREE SPACE and partiotion it the way you want.

Last edited:
OP
D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
My C: 20 GB is now being shown as extended. I need to convert that to primary. Can I change it on the fly without losing any data? Or do I have to format it and again install windows?

OP
D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
gparted is good ah.. i came across that.. PQ is paid software. I prefer using free GNU software like gparted. :)

thanks for the suggestions.. will try them tonight..

praka123

left this forum longback
^correct,do not pirate instead use OSS tools(infact oss for windows too are there in ubuntu cd) :) Vazhkai Valamudan :)

OP
D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Ok guys! Update!

Used GParted. It was damn easy to use. Got my job done within mins. Created a C: Primary. D: E: as logical in the remaining extended partition. Created a linux-swap, a / and a /home

All jobs done in one go. Am downloading kubuntu 7.10 now. Can't wait to install gutsy gibbon.. :)

OP
D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Downloaded both ubuntu 7.10 and kubuntu 7.10

Written both on to CDs. Tried the kubuntu 7.10 live run from the CD. Looks ok. Will try ubuntu GNOME also and then decide which one to install. :)

Thanks for showing the way to gparted. It simply rocks.

praka123

left this forum longback
Ubuntu is more stable.Kubuntu development is slow as Ubuntu basically is a Debian Gnome distribution.

OP
D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
@praka123

thanks.. will keep that in mind.. will try the ubuntu live cd also before installing anything on the hard drive..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
praka123 said:
Ubuntu is more stable.Kubuntu development is slow as Ubuntu basically is a Debian Gnome distribution.
I've never heard of Kubuntu development. All I know is that Kubuntu = Ubuntu - GNOME - Firefox + KDE.

praka123

left this forum longback
^no.they have separate Kubuntu development section. ubuntuforums even shows.but Xubuntu may not have.

OP
D

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
infra_red_dude said:
I've never heard of Kubuntu development. All I know is that Kubuntu = Ubuntu - GNOME - Firefox + KDE.

I think I saw Firefox when I ran Kubuntu Live.. Will confirm anyhow in sometime..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
deepakchan said:
I think I saw Firefox when I ran Kubuntu Live.. Will confirm anyhow in sometime..
Nope, there's no Firefox on Kubuntu, I'm running it now. There's only Konqueror as Firefox uses GTK elements at times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom