Hard Disk problem and Bios update query

Status
Not open for further replies.

vutonium

Broken In
:(
I recenly bought a Segate 160GB parallel ATA hdd. I have a Pentium III 1.05B GHz on 810e motherboard with 384 MB RAm. The problem is whenever the hdd is connected in any configuration[ie.- primary,secondary,master,slave] my PC slows down considerably. I use WinXP Pro+SP2 with all the latest updates. BIOS detects the disk size as 136GB.
Can a BIOS update fix this problem?
Also when the hdd is not connected my PC works just fine.

zegulas

Traceur
I think there maybe some physical damage to your HDD, which has caused bad sectors, try and run scan disk and see if you get bad sectors.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Nothing is wrong with your HDD,
how many partitions are there on the disc??
any other HD connected ??
How many optical drives??
also as u urself know,perform BIOS update(carefull though,dont let power go down inbetween!!)

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Dont think there is a problem in you HDD . But if you are going to update the BIOS be very carful as a mistake can render your motherboard useless.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah try flashing the bios.this might help.usually older motherboards donot support large capacities drives.hence updating the bios helps in most of the cases.
and be sure to make the 160GB as the primary disk and then partitioning to be done on NTFS only,if u r using windows 2000 or XP!

bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom