Hard Disk Error...asks to format

Status
Not open for further replies.

IG

Journeyman
i Have a 40 GB Seagate HDD.All of a sudden,every time i access f:,it says
" Disk in drive F: is not formatted.format now?"
i cannot access the drive at all.quite a bit of stuff is in it so dont wanna format it.
plus when i say ok to format, it says "f:,9.59 GB, NTFS" so it isnt confusing it with a floppy drive.pls help.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Take that harddrive to your friends Pc . Connect that to his pC as Slave and after booting try backing up the data from his PC ...from your drive to his.
Now when you are done then format the Drive as there is really no option if you have to keep your pc satable enough.
Best Luck

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
tried it.did not work.is there any other way in which i can recover the data?
before format that is.

quad master

In the zone
Dont format wait.

dude take the hard drive again to your friend but this time see to it that
you have a software called Ontrack Easy recovery Professinal 6 and
then try to recover your partion using that software.

If ontrack is not there try Stellar Phoinex Data Recovery
(spelling of phoinex might be wrong)

I hope so this might help as i have had similiar experiences and ontrack worked very well

Do tell me did this work out.

AlienTech

In the zone
Depending on the motherboard used, the chipsets, the hd controller, the operating system all causes problems. Which is why you format the HD to the system it is to be installed in. In many cases it will work as it is but not all. The new HD's are LBA based and should work properly everywhere but for some reason they do not. I think it has to do with the boot sector.. Some will show up empty even though the HD is full of data.

If you run a hd recovery program you have to run it on the original system config. Trying it on a new one will be a major headache and you will loose data.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
errrr..no....dont think what ur sayin is quite right. Hes gonna take it to his friends place and connect it as a secondary HDD and access it thats all. what system he installed it and all becomes irrelevant.

And mate if Ontrack doesnt work theres one more which is called Lost & Found. I have used this and it even picks up files which Ontrack doesnt. I have even restored a partition with over 8GB of data in it with Lost and Found and it recovered everything without any errors. And second it loads via the floppy so its useful as it does not depend on which HDD and so on.

OP
I

IG

Journeyman
well guys i got sick and tired of trying so i formatted my hdd and installed pcq linux.but u kow what....my 40 gb hdd shows only 31 gb.
when i get another hdd will install windows and then try to see what can be done.
thanks a lot for the help tho :)

AlienTech

In the zone
icecoolz said:
errrr..no....dont think what ur sayin is quite right. Hes gonna take it to his friends place and connect it as a secondary HDD and access it thats all. what system he installed it and all becomes irrelevant.

And mate if Ontrack doesnt work theres one more which is called Lost & Found. I have used this and it even picks up files which Ontrack doesnt. I have even restored a partition with over 8GB of data in it with Lost and Found and it recovered everything without any errors. And second it loads via the floppy so its useful as it does not depend on which HDD and so on.

Like I said, It will work in a lot of cases but it wont in all. Programs like lost and found will find files if you screwed up your HD like formating it. But there are cases where the LBA modes get changed and it wont find anything. Now all ontrack stuff is under powerquest which was bought out by hmm symantec.. Norton.. same crap... If your HD becomes inaccessible, its because the LBA modes got changed or is different. Usually means the boot sector got corrupted somehow. Norton will fix it in some cases..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom