HAL missing help pleeeeaaaase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikher_neo

Broken In
i installed open SUSE to override a malfunctioned linux that was not working but now when i select windows it says hal missing i tried to repaor it by editing the right partition no.in boot.ini howver suse doesn't allow me to do so saying i did ot hav the permissions.i am really fed up with this thingnow.pleease help me.and can i do something with the Ultimate Boot CD.i do not know how to use it(i have windows xp as well as 98 but couldn't find the boot.ini file in xp)

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
yep it can be repaired by editing the boot.ini file and chaging it to right partition.

anyways try logging in as root and then edit.

sudo is the command we use to becpme root in ubuntu\debian I am not sure about suse,let some pro chip in.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
open up terminal type su then enter it will ask for password enter it.

or else try doing: sudo nautilus (if you use gnome) a windows will pop up,just locate the boot.ini file from taht window itself and then make the necessary changes.hope this helps.

OP
Shikher_neo

Shikher_neo

Broken In
hey how do you recgnize which is the required partition(i.e. drive).one more thing.since i could not locate boot.ini in xp i am talking abt 98.will it work?and when i select 98 in the option given for selecting windows version it goes blank and nothing happens any clue?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^nope I don't think anybody can help you if you cannot recognise your windows partition,trial and error methid is what is left.

but wth why couldn't you locate your boot.ini file?try searching for it.

BTW did sudo nautilus work?

OP
Shikher_neo

Shikher_neo

Broken In
well the su command worked but the nautilus one didnot and now i have found that the boot.ini file of xp is totally BLANK.can u tell what should it have(the content)and do i really need to do something about hal?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
No idea about the contents of boot.ini file.But people facing the same problem solved it by just changing the partition no. in boot.ini file.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^well that would reinstall windows bootloader I guess and then he won't be able to boot into opensuse.

arunks faced the same exact problem,he just edited his boot.ini file(changed the partition no.) but this guy couldn't locate his boot.ini file.strange.

OP
Shikher_neo

Shikher_neo

Broken In
well i have figured out a little bit.the xp file appeared to be blank because it wasn't there the terminal creaed a new file with that name as there was no such file .one question .would it work fine if i do not have a boot file in xp.it is there in 98 and since the menu.lst is linked with 98(perhaps) xp should be accesible one more thing this partition no.starts with 0 or1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom