"hal.dll" file missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxisayshi

Broken In
hi friends
today when i started my computer i got the error msg :-windows can not start .the file hal.dll either missing or corrupt.reinstall dis file.

i do not want to format my computer as i hav some important data stored in my windows drive.neither i want to install fresh copy of the windows as my other partitions hav less free disk space(i cannot format them to lose all my data).

i hav also tried to repair the windows but unfortunately i hav forgotten my admin pwd .the account which i was using earlier was not admin but it had all rights of administrator(full access).

so guyz plz help me.
thax in advance.

::vicky::

In the zone
roxi it is the hardware abstraction layer (hal).dll

this may help

*support.microsoft.com/kb/822800/en-us

there is hal.dll in windows xp cd ok

plz tell if ur prob is solved or not

G

gxsaurav

u need to boot from the Windows XP bootable CD, then select repair with recovery console, & there u can scna for & revart all the replaced system files

in case U can boot in safe mode, go to run & type

sfc /scannow

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
thax guyz for the help but the problem remains......

to vicky:-the link u provided is gud but the problem is dat i hav forgotten the admin pwd so i cannot complete the step-4 under "resolution" section given in dat link......
previously i hav been using another local administrator account so dats why i hav forgoten the main admin pwd...

to saurav:-i hav tried to repair the windows as well but it asks for the admin pwd which unfortunately i hav forgotten.....

devarajan

Journeyman
roxisayshi said:
hi friends
today when i started my computer i got the error msg :-windows can not start .the file hal.dll either missing or corrupt.reinstall dis file.

i do not want to format my computer as i hav some important data stored in my windows drive.neither i want to install fresh copy of the windows as my other partitions hav less free disk space(i cannot format them to lose all my data).

i hav also tried to repair the windows but unfortunately i hav forgotten my admin pwd .the account which i was using earlier was not admin but it had all rights of administrator(full access).

so guyz plz help me.
thax in advance.

There r some another way to getrid of admin password.But dont ask here and me try by google............

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Try to get the admin password , its ur only way to get ur
data back. If its asking u for the password, then it can be fixed by the method given on MS site, in worst cases it doesnt even recognise any Xp installation and u hav to reinstall thw whole thing

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
i suppose the only way is to try to recall the pwd else everything will be lost..... :(

neways ,thax for ur suggestions friends....

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
damned i just had the same error on sunday morn... i formatted my whole PC... i cudn even boot into safe mode... no boot disc worked for me

h_kunte

Journeyman
I had this similar problem of the hal.dll file getting corrupted a few months back...As gxsaurav suggested, you have to use a boot CD to install ur OS but even the "repair" option doesnt work very well in most cases....In the worst possible case, be ready to lose all the data which was there on the main boot partition....Coz in my case, elthough I had chosen the "repair" option, a fresh copy of windows was installed & it wiped out all the data which I had on my desktop & in "My Documents". ....

HK

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
well there is one thing u can do to back up ur data. get a Linux Live CD which boots without installing OS and also reads NTFS partitions, then burn a CD of ur important data.

or

take ur HDD to ur frnd house, connect it to his comp as secondary, then burn ur important data.... i did both the things.

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
ohh atlast i formatted my computer.i just cannot live a single day without my machine....
thax shwetanshu for help , i will follow ur instructions the next time i face dis prob

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
guyz i hav new problem with my computer ....
plz refer to my new post under dis secton only.
seems something wrong with my system..... :(

Padikkal

Broken In
hal.dll is 129kB size on my system, if this is same for all systems why you cant replace the same in system32 folder? It is there in driver.cab file.

Boot the system using a floppy or a CD then copy the file from other system to system32 folder and try??

feedback..

OP
R

roxisayshi

Broken In
i hav checked the size of hal.dll in my friend's pc.it shows
80 kb .so i think it is different for different sys.

but again how can it be different?????

mario_pant

In the zone
ok, now here is the most simple explanation to this....
get the hal.dll file
from here just to be sure:

then goto *www.ultimatebootcd.com/
get the basic version... burn the ISO...
copy the hal.dll file to a floppee, then use boot in Dos mode from that disc.... then copy the hal.dll file from the floppy to the system32 folder..

then boot!

or simply rip the disc.... take it to a pal's house copy the hal.dll file to system32 and bring back and boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom