Definition: Wi-Fi => WIreless FIdelity network
=wireless lan/ethernet
=wireless version of wired networks

IEEE Standard: IEEE 802.11x

Types: IEEE 802.11a/IEEE 802.11b/IEEE 802.11g [a.ka. a/b/g]

Speed: 54.0 MBPS/11.0 MBPS/54.0MBPS

Frequency: 5Ghz/2.4Ghz/2.4Ghz

Order Of Introduction: a=>b=>g

Compatibility: g is backward compatible with b..... therefore b/g networks can coexist ... a is completely different

Requirements: as in wired networks the 2 clients require lan card ... in wireless network 2 clients require a wireless network card ... or atleast inbuilt wireless capabilities as in the case of CENTRINO notebooks which are inbuilt with Wi-Fi b networks
with these 2 basically i can set up a direct connection for sharing of resources BUT NOT SHARING OF A NET CONNECTION !!! ( See Raven's Guide To Sharing A Net Connection On LAN for more details on how to )
this is called as an AD-HOC mode of wireless connection

Requirement For Sharin NET Connection:
1) a wireless access point (AP)/router ... in addition to the 2 wireless cards on each pc ( no. =2)
2) one of the cards ( the one on ur host pc with net connection) to have an INBUILT ACCESS POINT
3) Raven's Guide To Sharing A Net Connection Over LAN

Difference Between WI-FI and wired lan/ethernet:
1) Wi-FI is free of wires/wireless .... wired has .. well WIRE troubles
2) wi-fi offers max 54 MBPS speed ... wireless offers 10/100MBPS to 1 GIGABIT with "GIGABIT" LAN as seen on the newer MOBO's !
3) Wi-Fi offers WEP Security ... wired lan does not
4) wired lan cannot be tapped into that easily .. u need a physical source
wireless networks can be found with wi-fi enabled devices .... and can be accessed if WEP key not available pretty easily ...
even with WEP ... wifi is not very secure ... ( but here we are talkin abt US government secure)
basic security is good enuff

Uses:(With the kind of connection that u require ie. AD-hoc / Infrastructure
1) sharing files/folders/resources between 2 computers (AD-HOC/Infrastructure)
2) Playing Multiplayer games (AD-HOC/Infrastructure)
3) Sharing Printers (AD-hoc/Infrastructure)
4) Sharing New Connection (Infrastructure REQUIRED !!!! or AD-HOC with a Proxy Setup!)

Sites You Can Visit:
*computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm
*infoscouts.com/computers/wifi.htm
*www.bitpipe.com/data/rlist?t=1020279364_3396753&src=google
*www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=what+is+wi-fi&meta=
*www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/961181
*www.wi-fiplanet.com

another quality OoberTech post

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
q : does the access point act like a hub / switch ? if i wanna connect to PCs , one with new high config and one with older one , would i need an access point . or can they just communicate with each other if they are just a room apart ? Price listing of wireless cards and access points ( in Rupees ;) ) would be helpful

OP
T

theraven

Technomancer
if the distance is within ieee standards then no u dun need an access point
a simple ad hoc connection would do
but however like i said ... it depends on the thickness of your walls ...
the 2 rooms in my house are almost adjacent .. but the pc spot being on the extreme ends
and no the wireless range is not enough for the connection. you would need to use a signal booster or you'll need to test with the placement of the access point !

an access point is basically a WLAN transceiver that operates either as a bridge in a peer-to-peer connection or as a connector between the wired and wireless segments of the network.
ofcourse u get wireless routers as well

Deep

Version 2.0
wireless lan card should cost around 1500
router costs around 6000 (I bought Dlink DI-724P+ 3 days back for 6200) its pretty good...

took 10 mins to set it up..

Deep

suhasingale

Journeyman
There is one Q regarding Wi-Fi.

Me and my friend live in a same building and we both have Sony centrino Laptops with Wi-Fi inbuit.

I have a cable net connection at home and i use my laptop on the same, The cable net connection is IP technology connection, i.e IP is assigned to each member.
My friend who stays rit in front of my rooms window, i.e his rooms window is in front of mine and the distance is not more than 20-30 meters (no obstacles in Between, wants to connect to my Laptop and use my internet connection.
Is this possible? if yes then how should we connect plz explain the procedure in Detail.

OP
T

theraven

Technomancer
follow my tutorial on sharing a net connection over lan
set it up
as for ur laptops connecting
make sure wifi is on on both
and they should each detect the others network !
simply connect
make sure u turn on WEP security on each laptop
u should find all this in ur wifi cards properties from network connections

OP
T

theraven

Technomancer
good enuff ;)
say abt half of what ud get with wired lan
practically anything is always half practically of what its rated
so id say in and around 25mbs ( for wifig which is rated at 54 mbps)
never checked it tho till now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom